Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Alternative display for SBTouch - old tablet or the like?

HI,
    running a SB touch which I'm finding the screen a bit too small.

An idea might be to use an old tablet running squeezecentre as a display, or maybe even an ethernet enabled digital photo frame if such a thing exists?

Looking to set this up as cheaply as possible, purely just for displaying what is playing on my Touch.

Any suggestions guys?
    I'm based in the UK

thanks.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 2011-08-10 at 10:02.

anyone done this?
    does it work well?

I want to implement the "screen off" Soundcheck mod, but want to see whats playing too.

Yes, it's been done:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...t=html+playing

I don't know off-hand if anyone has managed it with a photo frame.

Know you're trying to do this on the cheap, but why not pick up somebody's used iPad1....just the Wifi version. I'm sure they're going for pretty cheap on the used market. Then you can just install iPeng and/or Squeezepad and you'll have a much easier time than trying to kludge something together.
    Rg

System information
    ------------------------
    Main: Vortexbox/Squeezelite > USB> Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV Signature amp > Revel Performa F208 speakers.

Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1, Touch FW 7.8.0-r16754.

LMS 7.9.0 - 0.71.20150313git1426153261 on a 1TB Micro Vortexbox Appliance, V 2.3.

Quote Originally Posted by rgro View Post
    Know you're trying to do this on the cheap, but why not pick up somebody's used iPad1....just the Wifi version. I'm sure they're going for pretty cheap on the used market. Then you can just install iPeng and/or Squeezepad and you'll have a much easier time than trying to kludge something together.
    And if you also get the iPad USB "photo" accessory + the playback option in iPeng you can actually use the iPad v1 as a Squeezebox player with digital out... Worked great with my DAC.
    (doesn't work with iPhone. I tried it)
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.