Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Transcoding/Buffering...

Hi,
    I have a system with a WHS server, a wired player, a wired radio and a wireless radio. All the music on the server is FLAC.

All is fine except streaming FLAC to the wirless radio is a bit intermittant. So, can I increase the buffer size in the wireless radio?

Or, I've read something about transcoding to MP3 on the fly - how is this done?

Can I just transcode to the wireless radio, and still serve FLAC to the wired players. That would be OK as the wireless radio is used mainly for internet radio and anly occasionally for musio off the server.

Any pointers how to set this up, is it easy or do I need to be a computer scientist for this? :-)

Ta
    DrS

From the Squeezebox Server web interface, select Settings, choose the wireless radio player and then Audio. There should be drop-down box for Bitrate Limiting. You need the LAME encoder installed server-side, it'll tell you if that's not found.

Quote Originally Posted by staresy View Post
    Can I just transcode to the wireless radio, and still serve FLAC to the wired players. That would be OK as the wireless radio is used mainly for internet radio and anly occasionally for musio off the server.....
    Yes, as long as the players are not Synced.
    Have you looked into the WiFi issues? IOW: Fix the problem instead of tweaking the symptoms?
    FLAC to a single player over WiFi should be trouble free, if your WiFi and/or environment are not an issue.