Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Muele View Post
    On the negative side, Sonos has a limit on the size of the library supported. Around 65.000 tracks, depending on how they're tagged.
    On the Sonos forums I was shocked to read that 65.000 tracks is a 'theoretical' maximum. It can be as low as 40.000 tracks, depending on your tags. So absolutely a no go for me. (And Sonos show no sign of fixing this either, its apparently a limit of the hardware. As a workaround you can use Windows Media Player as your library. Would that include .flac files?)

Last I checked (couple weeks ago), WMP doesn't do flac. I didn't investigate further so there may turn out to be a workaround or fix that I am unaware of.

Don't forget these guys:

http://www.olive.us/

And that's the issue, I think--any of these dedicated audio devices are for people who are serious about music. Squeezebox is quite frankly at the bottom of the market for price (although I think sound quality is much better than that), Sonos is not far behind, and then you shoot up into the $1000 and up devices from Soolos, Olive, Bang&Olufsen, etc. Everyone else who doesn't give a crap how their music sounds is either listening on their crappy laptop speakers, or running a DLNA system through their TV or maybe Blu-Ray player through a $300 home theatre sound system.

Another option is integrated network audio with AV receivers like the Denons. They do uPNP but can play back FLAC. And of course they all do AirPlay as well.

I'm not sure how Squeezebox exists in the marketplace long term except as a niche player, and I don't know if Logitech wants to operate them like that. I'm not sure where Slim Devices would be if they hadn't sold. Sonos has a defining characteristic with their mesh networking and variety of devices. Logitech should have that too with the different Squeezeboxes, but the complications of the server side are a barrier for some.

I did buy a Escient Fireball for around EUR 1700,- Then considered a "pro" solution. I've owned it for 6 months, but I was never really happy with it. Many , many problems... Not convinced by its audio quality either. Then I bought I a Squeezebox Duet (EUR 299,-)(Because I didn't want to buy a expensive sytem that didn't work again, i.e. Sonos. Not because Sonos doesn't work, but I didn't want to take the risk again)
    Since the Squeezebox Duet I've been a happy streaming audio user. I think the audio quality is better than the Escient.
    If you take a look at my signature, you can see I'm convinced by the quality and possibilties of the Squeezbox system. If only Logitech would release some new devices and emphasized multiroom audio possibilties in their products & marketing.