Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have been using both Squeezebox and Sonos for about 5 years now, and even though I'm much more of a SqueezeBox fan myself for use in the home, for the usage scenario you describe, I think Sonos is the way to go. Setup is dead easy, it can be maintained by folks with little tech savvy, the networking is robust, and multi zone syncing is extremely robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil View Post
    I have been using both Squeezebox and Sonos for about 5 years now, and even though I'm much more of a SqueezeBox fan myself for use in the home, for the usage scenario you describe, I think Sonos is the way to go. Setup is dead easy, it can be maintained by folks with little tech savvy, the networking is robust, and multi zone syncing is extremely robust.
    I also think the WD100 (Wireless dock for iPods) looks kind of cool. The kind of thing that a guest could use if it's a private party. Or if the servers want to use their music.

On the other hand I think the Squeezebox Radio is great! Best thing ever to come out from slimdevices! (Apart from the slimp3, Squeezebox 1, 2 and 3)

Quote Originally Posted by Sike View Post
    For commercial use I think the Sonos will be better, but time will tell...
    For "real" commercial use (beyond your small scale) Sonos doesn't work at all because you can't automate it.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Thinking about switching to Sonos (for a Restaurant)

Sike, have you thought about having just a single SB player device and
    distributing either the line or speaker level audio signal? You could
    still have control of the player, and nice UI, using iOS devices. And
    it would have the major advantage of zero sync issues.

What kind of restaurant is this? Do you mean they have no sound system beyond two Radios and a Boom? Sounds a little cheesy.

I don't see why you would be using sync at all in a commercial setting, rather than running just one Squeezebox into a sound system with a multichannel amp and volume controls and then out to several sets of speakers. Most commonly in-ceiling speakers, but they could be any type - in-wall, wall mounted, sitting on shelves, etc.
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-08-05 at 14:22.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    What kind of restaurant is this? Do you mean they have no sound system beyond two Radios and a Boom? Sounds a little cheesy.

I don't see why you would be using sync at all in a commercial setting, rather than running just one Squeezebox into a sound system with a multichannel amp and volume controls and then out to several sets of speakers. Most commonly in-ceiling speakers, but they could be any type - in-wall, wall mounted, sitting on shelves, etc.
    The problem is that it is a historical building. Not the usual US drywall and plywood building. We also have to make sure that the neighbours are happy so we need to be able to adjust the volume per zone.

It's a spacious 50 seat restaurant and the radios were a bit meager compared to the Sonos S5s. But also much much more expensive.

The sync is great on the Sonos.

Last night I had a party at my house and the whole Squeezebox system went bezerk again. Not possible to change a song in iPeng and it stopped playing after 1 song again... I may be changing completly.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post

When I initially read this thread, I thought the exact same thing. A radio or a boom in this setting would probably not be satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Sike View Post
    The problem is that it is a historical building. Not the usual US drywall and plywood building. We also have to make sure that the neighbours are happy so we need to be able to adjust the volume per zone.
    I don't see how that changes anything in JJZolx's post. Then put the speakers on shelves or wall brackets or something, with individual volume controls per zone. If you can't pull the speaker cable through the wall then use some of the nearly invisible speaker wire that is now available and run it along the baseboard. You could even find/make attractive boxes for the volume pots.

Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    I don't see how that changes anything in JJZolx's post. Then put the speakers on shelves or wall brackets or something, with individual volume controls per zone. If you can't pull the speaker cable through the wall then use some of the nearly invisible speaker wire that is now available and run it along the baseboard. You could even find/make attractive boxes for the volume pots.
    The S5s have more than enough oompf to fillthe rooms. Its now also possibe for all the servers to dock their ipod/iphones and listen to their music.

Everything is handled through an iPad and works. I think it changes everything.