Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

7.6.1 Mac Not Scanning New / Changed Music

Searched to see if there's any similar posts but can't find any (although I suspect I will have the error of my ways pointed out soon enough !!!) ...

Upgraded to 7.6 then 7.6.1 at the weekend on my iMac running Lion ... After an uninstall / reinstall I got the server to scan and find all 17000 tracks.

But the service is no longer scanning when new files are added despite this working flawlessly for years previously!

A manual rescan completes instantly with no details logged in Settings.

Server set to use iTunes with the .XML on my iMac and the content folder on a NAS box ... This has worked for well over a year ... Until either Lion or 7.6 screwed things up (upgraded both within a few days and can't recall if it was an issue between the Lion upgrade and installing 7.6.1 !!!

Any known issue here?

Any tips?
    =========================================
    Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/mjm2705

Still not auto scanning and picking up new music ... changing setting to 'clear library and rescan everything' picks up new music OK but this clearly isn't practical or sustainable.

Is this one of the known issues?

Any fix?

It's unclear what's not working. Are you trying to use the autorescan feature or are you trying to manually run new & changed scans?

Autorescan is new to 7.6, so I don't understand how you could have been using it for years. New & changed scans should work. If you run one immediately after running a clear & rescan (without adding and changing anything) then it may complete in just a few seconds. Add some new music and try it.

To clarify:

Previous versions of server have been set to 'look for new and changed music', this in conjunction with telling the server to use iTunes and pointing it in the direction of the iTunes XML has worked flawlessly for years ie every time I add music to iTunes, Squeezebox server scans and adds.

Since either Lion or 7.6 (both upgraded within a few days), new music added to iTunes is not appearing in Squeezebox server.

To test if the scan is being initiated successfully I've gone into settings (via http) and clicked the [Rescan] button beside the options of 'look for new and changed music' and nothing happens ... even when I have added new tracks to test it.

If I change the options to 'Clear everything ...' it scans and finds the new tracks.

So a feature that has worked before, doesn't now.

Quote Originally Posted by mjm2705 View Post
    To clarify:

Previous versions of server have been set to 'look for new and changed music', this in conjunction with telling the server to use iTunes and pointing it in the direction of the iTunes XML has worked flawlessly for years ie every time I add music to iTunes, Squeezebox server scans and adds.
    Ah...

On the Basic Settings page that's not a setting. You select the type of scan that you'd like to run, then press the button.

I don't use iTunes, so I'm not familiar with how iTunes integration with Squeezebox Server works. It could very well be that you've found a bug.

Hi mjm2705,

I am having slow scanning on SBS 7.6.1 with Mac OS X Lion.

Do you encounter memory problem with Perl 5.12? Unable to finish scan my music collection (it's less than 12,000 songs) as Perl 5.12 drained out my iMac's memory after 9 hours.
    Auronthas

Source 1: iMac (stream wirelessly) <> Squeezebox Classic SB3
    Source 2: Cambridge Audio 540C V2 CD player

Source 1 or 2 (MIT digital coaxial) <> CA DacMagic 3 (Cardas Quadlink 5C XLR) <> Krell KAV-400xi (VDH the Goldwater) <> Sonus Faber Concertino Domus

iMac 2.4 Ghz, 4GB DDR RAM, Mac OS X 10.7.3 - LMS Version: 7.7.2 - r33893 @ Wed Mar 14 2012 - Firmware : 137

Auronthas's Blog

My Recent Tracks Played
    http://imagegen.last.fm/itunesrecent.../auronthas.gif

I think I may have discovered a potential problem.

I ran into the same problem, the rescan for new items recently failed after working fine for years, yet a clear and scan works.

Instead of this being a Server 7.6 problem, it might be an iTunes 10.4 problem

I use two programs that rely on the iTunes Library/iTunes Library.xml file. Both of these stopped working properly after upgrading to iTunes 10.4.

This upgrade, like many others, causes an update to the library file structure.

On the other two pieces of software I was able to fix the problem by re-establishing the link to the new iTunes Library file.

What I think is happening is that Squeezebox is looking for the old file name and it no longer exists.

Mine was iTunes Library, it is now iTunes Library.itl. I'm on a Mac, so this is a big change.

To clarify:

Since either Lion or 7.6 (both upgraded within a few days), new music added to iTunes is not appearing in Squeezebox server.

To test if the scan is being initiated successfully I've gone into settings (via http) and clicked the [Rescan] button beside the options of 'look for new and changed music' and nothing happens ... even when I have added new tracks to test it.

If I change the options to 'Clear everything ...' it scans and finds the new tracks.

So a feature that has worked before, doesn't now.

At least I'm not imagining it then !!!

I might test to see if its scanner problem or the iTunes xml file by temporarily disabling the iTunes link and just pointing Squeezeserver to my music folder.

I'll let you know how that goes !

I've also had iTunes playlists disappear on my ReadyNAS based system.
    Perhaps this is a clue for the developers to take a look at ?

Ugh, yes. Updated both the SBS and Apple software within days, so it's like overlapping tenants in a wrecked hotel room. Who did it? Scanning iTunes does collect new files, but not new playlists or changes to playlists. The notion that the iTunes file structure changed (and therefore the pointer became outdated) had crossed my mind. "But why would they do that?" Now the hunt begins for the location of the Playlists.

Does anyone know what the new pointer should look like?

At least I'm not imagining it then !!!

I might test to see if its scanner problem or the iTunes xml file by temporarily disabling the iTunes link and just pointing Squeezeserver to my music folder.

I'll let you know how that goes !
    1 Controller | 1 Receiver | 1 Boom | 1 Radio
    http://aberjona.tumblr.com