Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Replace power connector?

The power jack on my Boom has loosened to the point that the plug rattles around and loses connection when the unit is moved. I looked at the white paper explosion diagram and photos and it looks like the back panel is a separate unit, but there's no indication of how (or if) the power jack is fastened to it.

Can anyone provide additional info on this? I don't want to disassemble the Boom if it isn't feasible to replace the jack.

Thanks.

It looks like it's soldered to a daughterboard to the backpanel, in the typical way. Are you sure the jack needs to be replaced? Normally, this type of thing only takes some heat to the solder points.

Thanks Soulkeeper.

Looking at the back panel in the explosion diagram in the white paper it does not appear to have solder connections to the main PC board behind it, just standoffs that probably hold it in place when the whole thing is screwed together. My guess is the connectors on the back panel are electrically connected to the main board with a cable or wire harness that's not shown, and that's hidden in the photo.

What I'm concerned about is: how is the power connector fastened to the back panel? Is it just held in place, or is it glued? I was hoping someone who's opened up a Boom could tell me how the back panel jacks are actually mounted.

One of my booms has developed the same problem, the power plug needs to be positioned Just So for the unit to fire up. I think it took a knock when we had a summer party..

Has anyone had any success in re-seating the socket? Any tips before I start pulling it apart please?!

Thanks in advance.

I have the same issue with one of my Booms, in which I recently repaired the speakers, but didn't notice the intermittent power issue at the time.

So I pulled it apart again.

The board that contains the power, ethernet and 2x audio connections is soldered onto the back of the main board. I noticed when wiggling this daughter board that I was getting a bit of a click noise, like a dry solder joint, so I reflowed the three solder points for the power connections and then when that didn't solve the click noise, I reflowed all of the solder connections on the front of the main board where the daughter board connects, and the power end of the connections on the daughter board. This still didn't stop the click noise when moving the daughter board, but I figured that was all I could do.

After reassembly the issue unfortunately still remains. I had a play with my much newer Boom and when really wiggling the power lead even it loses power for a second.

The only other think I can think of trying is replacing the power socket.

Name:  IMG_0647.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  225.4 KB

Fixed my Boom!

Quote Originally Posted by mctubster View Post
    I reflowed all of the solder connections on the front of the main board where the daughter board connects, and the power end of the connections on the daughter board. This still didn't stop the click noise when moving the daughter board, but I figured that was all I could do.

After reassembly the issue unfortunately still remains. I had a play with my much newer Boom and when really wiggling the power lead even it loses power for a second.

The only other think I can think of trying is replacing the power socket.
    Just in case anyone else comes across this thread while searching for information about the Boom power socket, I reflowed the solder joints as well and it didn't help. The intermittent power issue described by mctubster, at least for me, turned out to be due to corrosion in the power socket itself. I fixed my Boom by lightly spraying the power socket with DeoxIT DN5 and inserting/removing the power plug a few times per the instructions. I kept my Boom near a humidifier which runs in the winters so that might have caused the corrosion. My Boom works great now. Cheers.

DeoxIT DN5 also fixed my Boom

Many thanks to WontonNoodleSoup! Spraying the power receptacle with DeoxIT DN5 also fixed my boom. It did not fix my power supply (which seemed to go out at the same time - I have two Booms, so I could use one to debug the other), but I still have to consider this a success.

This is an old thread, but I couldn't find anything else just as specific.

I reckon the power connector on one of my Booms is causing some problems. It's not a good connection, and can easily lose power if knocked. Looking through this thread, there seemed to be no hardf and fast answer to replacing the unit if necessary.

Has anyone else tackled this in the meantime and got any more information?

Ta

Donald
    SB user since 2000...
    3 x Touch; 2 x Boom ; 4 x Classic; 1 x Controller
    Controlled by iPad using 'Squeezepad'
    Vortexbox/Nova appliance running LMS version 7.9

Hi all,

the connectors are standard 5.5 / 2.1mm coax. A good match is this:

http://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/G.../CON-SOCJ-2155

But there are loads of connectors around that would fit just as well. I have had good results with a desoldering station to get most of the solder away from the old connector, then using solder wick for the solder that the desolder tip could not get to.
    It seems Logitech have cut a few pennies with the connector they picked. They are really low quality. I had some units here where the plating (some copper alloy material) was flaking off, and the plastic housing seems to break easily, too.
    I can offer some service around the Boom inside the EU. Replacement of aged displays, bass woofer repairs, and last but not least also the replacement of the power connector (if needed, including the one on the PSU cable). Feel free to contact me anytime

Regards,
    Joe
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    5x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    1.5x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    1.5x Touch (one waiting for repair)

I've been living with this problem for a long time now, any slight movement of the Boom would cause it to reboot. I don't know why I didn't think of the Deoxit solution earlier (I have the Radio Shack version which is less expensive) but thanks to this thread, a few sprays on the connector and the port eliminated the issue entirely!
    Many many thanks!