Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

empty folders in squeezebox

This weekend I installed a DS 111 NAS from synolgy with squeezeboxserver. Most things are working as expected. But some mp3 folders aren't procesed. I copied all my folders from my old PC to my new NAS (no names or directory structure). But some folders appear empty in de squeezebox server, but there are mp3's in the folders. But Squeezebox just don't seem to see them. I already rescaned my musicfolder.

Has somebody any idea?

permissions ? The NAS is a linux machine .

depending on sbs version unicode ie non english characters in the folder or file names.

Try the Browse "music folder" function, in that case sbs does not use the tags but instead you can explore the folder structure.
    But it seems that you are using this function, can you see the music if you use artist or album or genre menus instead ? "music folder" is mostly thougth as emergency method to use untagged or badly tagged files .

is this 7.5.4 version of the server ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I'm running 7.5.4 as squeezeserver.

And indeed i was using the browse music folder, because i had some trouble finding the artiest the regular way. And then I discoverd that some folders apeared to be empty husing the squeezebox server, when i navigate to the folder using the file browser from the nas, the files are there. ome of the file has the following path:

\volume1\music\Top_40\01_Stromae_-_Alors_On_Danse.mp3

De folder shows in sbs but not the files in it. Any idea whats wrong whit it. My guess was the name s wel, but I don't see whats wrong with it.

That sounds like the permissions are not correct. You can see them in the file browser on the NAS because whatever username you are using has permissions to read those files and folders. But SBS does not run under your username. SBS runs under the username 'squeezeboxserver', and most likely that user does not have read permissions on the files and/or folders.

The easiest thing is to make the files and folders readable (but _not_ write-able) by all users. If you're familiar with Unix/Linux you want the folders to be mode 755 and the files to be mode 644.

Then you should probably adjust the settings on the NAS's file server (probably Samba) so that it gives you the permissions you need when you copy files over to it from your pc.

Solved: empty folders in squeezebox

it was indeed a permisions isue. Glad I found it, now I have to correct this for all the files, it is also changeable in de webinterface of synology. (multiple files at a time).

Thanks for all the help.

Thumbs up

it's quite easy from ssh to

use the -R ( recursive ) option then all files and folders under the one you modify gets the permission

# chmod -R 755 somedirectory
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html