Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 47
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillet Liquor View Post
    Turns out I *did* have some tagging issues causing problems. I didn't realize that an incorrectly/carelessly tagged compilation album would basically bootstrap all of the other single-artist albums by artists on that same comp. I should have realized that. Sorry to junk up the thread!
    No problem... It seems it only takes one mistagged track to sometimes perpetrate to other tracks by an artist and so forth. This has happened to many with the artistsort tag. I've had one or two albums where the sort tags aren't quite right and it ends up affecting all tags by the artist because of the way LMS sets up it's artist database. From a db standpoint, it's efficient and works well, but from a practical standpoint where each file is typically its own file, such a rigid format can lead to problems if values conflict as can happen with artist and artistsort, and so on.

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    New to Squeezebox, having an alike problem. Searching for days now but still don't know how to fix it....

    I use iTunes to import all my CD's to HardDisk
    Harddisk connected to squezzebox touch
    I do not use the server software

    problem is: I want to sort on AlbumArtist and NOT on Artist

    In example
    Now I have 1 album by Wyclef Jean. Some songs feature guest artists.
    This ain't a compilation disc / various artists. So the tag is unused (in iTunes)
    So browsing through Squeezebox I get:
    - Wyclef Jean
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Angie Martinez
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill
    - Wyclef jean feat. John ForÚ
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Sublime
    etc
    etc

    But I want this album just shown under "Wyclef Jean" (Which is the Album Artist tag)

    I have several artist collections this way which makes it almost impossible to browse through the artist list. 1000s of artists show up. For Wyclef alone already abouy 20, but most terrible is Prince. For him I have over a 100 artists being "Prince feat. xxxxxxx"

    Can't the Squeezebox itself not sort on AlbumArtist? I don't see this option.
    Is there a scipt/plugin to use, that forces the Squeezebox to do this?

    so infact:
    how can I make it possible to sort on AlbumArtist, WITHOUT renaming the Artist tags to the same as "AlbumArtist". This because I still want to keep using iTunes.

  3. #23
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Lessram View Post
    New to Squeezebox, having an alike problem. Searching for days now but still don't know how to fix it....

    I use iTunes to import all my CD's to HardDisk
    Harddisk connected to squezzebox touch
    I do not use the server software

    problem is: I want to sort on AlbumArtist and NOT on Artist

    In example
    Now I have 1 album by Wyclef Jean. Some songs feature guest artists.
    This ain't a compilation disc / various artists. So the tag is unused (in iTunes)
    So browsing through Squeezebox I get:
    - Wyclef Jean
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Angie Martinez
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill
    - Wyclef jean feat. John ForÚ
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Sublime
    etc
    etc

    But I want this album just shown under "Wyclef Jean" (Which is the Album Artist tag)

    I have several artist collections this way which makes it almost impossible to browse through the artist list. 1000s of artists show up. For Wyclef alone already abouy 20, but most terrible is Prince. For him I have over a 100 artists being "Prince feat. xxxxxxx"

    Can't the Squeezebox itself not sort on AlbumArtist? I don't see this option.
    Is there a scipt/plugin to use, that forces the Squeezebox to do this?

    so infact:
    how can I make it possible to sort on AlbumArtist, WITHOUT renaming the Artist tags to the same as "AlbumArtist". This because I still want to keep using iTunes.
    You can add an "artistsort" tag to those files and rescan .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    So you mean;
    Using i.e. MP3Tag creating a new tag type named "artistsort" and then copy the albumartist tags to that new tag?

    or even simpler using the artist sort tag which already excists in iTunes?
    Last edited by Lessram; 2013-09-20 at 05:21.

  5. #25
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    I might be doing something wrong.....
    In iTunes I added the main artist in the "Artist Sort" tag of iTunes. Which is seen by MP3Tag as "ARTISTSORT"

    But still..... In the squeezebox (USB-Harddisk) when I select the "My Music > Artist >" option I still see. 20+ times "Wyclef Jean feat. xxxxx"

    Album Artist: Wyclef Jean
    Artist: Wyclef Jean & Angie Martinez
    ARTISTSORT: Wyclef Jean

    Still the Squeezebox is using the Artist tag to sort.
    Am I missing some option in the menu's?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    921
    I know this is not the way you want to do it, but if you are unsuccessful otherwise you might try using the ALBUM tag to show supporting artists ie-

    Wyclef Jean .......
    Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill .........
    etc.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by dasmueller View Post
    I know this is not the way you want to do it, but if you are unsuccessful otherwise you might try using the ALBUM tag to show supporting artists ie-

    Wyclef Jean .......
    Wyclef Jean feat. Cypress Hill .........
    etc.
    Nope, impossible if it's all on the same album

    I think I made a misstake (forgot some albums which also incl. feat artists) and the tip by Mnyb might do the job.
    So a new attempt. Harddisk is being rescanned now.

  8. #28
    Senior Member Mnyb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Vństerňs Sweden
    Posts
    16,161
    Quote Originally Posted by Lessram View Post
    Nope, impossible if it's all on the same album

    I think I made a misstake (forgot some albums which also incl. feat artists) and the tip by Mnyb might do the job.
    So a new attempt. Harddisk is being rescanned now.
    yes you migth have to do a full rescan to see the results .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

    http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Nope.... still not soved.
    Rescanning the collection takes a longggggg time. (Over 1000 albums on the harddrive)
    So took an empty harddrive with just those Wyclef tracks, will work faster and feels more safe/secure for trial/error testing.

    ARTISTSORT options but also noticed Using the empty vs. 0 vs. 1 filled "Compilation" tag makes a difference.
    With an empty "COMP" tag I had about 20 "Wyclef feat. xxxx" artists. When I placed a 0 in the tag I suddenly had 50+ "Wyclef feat. xxxx" artists

    So next attempt = "COMP=1"

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    15
    Nope..... none of the options solved the problem.

    Tried an SD card, to make it easier, just one directory with of artist (Wyclef)

    All tracks placed under one album entitled "Wyclef Guest appearances"
    Album Artist tag set to "Wyclef Jean"
    Filled in the SORTARTIST tag for all songs "Wyclef Jean"
    Only the Artist tag differs

    Tried with the compilation tag COMP
    set to "0"
    set to "1"
    set to [empty] (really nothing filled in)

    After each attempt I deleted the folders
    .Squeezebox
    Playlists

    (This to force a full new rescan)

    But each and everytime....... still seperate artists;
    - Wyclef Jean
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Canibus
    - Wyclef Jean feat. Angie Martinez
    - Wyclef Jean feat. 2Pac
    - Wyclef Jean feat. melky Sedec
    etc.....

    Anyone any idea what I could try next, to make the Squeezebox Touch (using without server) sort it in such a way that all tracks only sort under "Wyclef Jean"?


    edit:
    Tried adding another "standard" tag named "SORTALBUMARTIST" but didn't help either.
    Last edited by Lessram; 2013-09-20 at 15:33.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •