Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Album / Album Artist - tagging problems

Hoping someone might be able to help sort this frustration for me, I have a Squeezebox Touch and I am running Squeezebox server on a NAS:

Example 1 (Flac):
    Artist: Prince & The New Power Generation
    Album Artist: Prince
    Album: Diamonds & Pearls
    Under artists on my Squeezebox touch this comes up just as Prince no reference to Prince & The New Power Generation - brilliant exactly as I want

Example 2 (Flac)::
    Artist: Prince & The Revolutions
    Album: Purple Rain
    Under artists on my Squeezebox touch this comes up under Prince plus there is a entry for Prince & The Revolutions - I want it to be as above, seems to be set up exactly the same way so why the difference?

Example 3 (mp3):
    Artist: Estelle/John Legend
    Album Artist: Estelle
    Album: Shine
    Under artists on my squeezebox touch this comes up under Estelle and Estelle/John Legend. I only want it to come up under Estelle.

I like to keep all my lists as clean as possible hence why I want all the variation of Prince albums just under prince. I use Mp3tag for my music tagging and have cleared out all the unnecessary tags under extended tags, which has made no difference. I have through about using Mp3tidy on these problems albums and starting from scratch.

I think this is likely to be a tagging issue rather than a squeezebox touch/server issue.

Am I tagging incorrectly for what I want to achieve, using perhaps artistsort or albumartistsort?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this.

perhaps

Are you using the composer tag? And set the option to include composer as artist? I forget where exactly this is in SBS Behavior perhaps.

~Allan

Smile compilation tag

I have just worked out what was causing this...

If you have compilation tag set as 0, Squeezebox server ignores the album artist tag and reads the artist tag. If you remove the compilation tag / have it as blank, SBS reads the album artist tag.

The albums which were behaving oddly was because for some reason it had this compilation tag. I am very happy happy happy that this is sorted and loving that everything is now sorted by album artist but when playing lists the artist. Absolutely perfect.

I hope this post helps others with this issue

Quote Originally Posted by indigo_daisies View Post
    Example 2 (Flac)::
    Artist: Prince & The Revolutions
    Album: Purple Rain
    Under artists on my Squeezebox touch this comes up under Prince plus there is a entry for Prince & The Revolutions - I want it to be as above, seems to be set up exactly the same way so why the difference?

Example 3 (mp3):
    Artist: Estelle/John Legend
    Album Artist: Estelle
    Album: Shine
    Under artists on my squeezebox touch this comes up under Estelle and Estelle/John Legend. I only want it to come up under Estelle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on this.
    One thing, its Prince & The Revolution (no s ), so maybe one track, the one giving you problems has the s and the rest of the album doesn't, or vice versa. Also make sure there are no blank spaces after the name on both the artist and album artist tags, as that can cause that type of issue.

it's fixed

I did try and post this last night but for some reason it didn't show.

I have solved the problem. It was to do with the compilation tag.

Basically if compilation is set to 0, Squeezebox will ignore the artistalbum tag and just read the artist tag.
    If compilation is blank/there is no compilation tag SBS will read albumartist tag and not artist tag.

The albums I was having problems with all had compilation set to 0. Now I have removed this they are all listed correctly by albumartist when searching by artist but when playing it shows the artist tag on screen so absolutely perfect and I am happy happy happy.

Hope this post helps others with a similar problem.

MrSinatra
    yet another problem where SBS tries to force everything into one master list instead of letting the user decide if they want to browse by AA or artist.

i have seen bugs on bug tracker talking about how one UI or another is inconsistent in its handling. they are trying to fix these kinds of issues in one browser / 7.6

however, i think that even if they sort all that out, they need to give users the option to on the fly switch between sorting with AA, or artist.

Quote Originally Posted by indigo_daisies View Post
    I did try and post this last night but for some reason it didn't show.

I have solved the problem. It was to do with the compilation tag.

Basically if compilation is set to 0, Squeezebox will ignore the artistalbum tag and just read the artist tag.
    If compilation is blank/there is no compilation tag SBS will read albumartist tag and not artist tag.

The albums I was having problems with all had compilation set to 0. Now I have removed this they are all listed correctly by albumartist when searching by artist but when playing it shows the artist tag on screen so absolutely perfect and I am happy happy happy.

Hope this post helps others with a similar problem.
    I think I have a similar problem.
    Is compilation set in SB or in my tagging program?
    I know the compilation options in the SB advanced tab, and I have
    -group compilation albums together
    -list albums by band
    treat tpe2 tags as album artist.
    I use mediamonkey for my tagging.
    Also, I have option of ID3v1 and/or ID3v2 tags - which is best for SB?
    Appreciate if you could give the exact process here
    Last edited by RichNY; 2011-06-01 at 08:07.

MrSinatra
    i would use mp3tag.

i would also strip id3v1.x tags and use only id3v2.3 tags.

mp3tag can set the comp tags. imo, you either should have no comp tags at all, OR comp tags that =1 for things you want SBS to classify as comps. (SBS derives comp status based on a number of factors, like file location, comparison, and most importantly a files tags).

Same question but with iTunes

I have the same problem but using iTunes.

If I undestand correctly you manage 3 values for the compilation tag "blank, 0, or 1 (if compilation)", Am I correct ?

BUT with iTunes I can only set Yes or No, any ideas how can I solve this issue to be also happy happy with clean list of artists.......

Quote Originally Posted by phinfo View Post
    BUT with iTunes I can only set Yes or No, any ideas how can I solve this issue to be also happy happy with clean list of artists.......
    Use a better tagging program for editing the compilation tag. Just because you use iTunes for some things doesn't mean you can't use other programs sometimes for the same files. If you're on Windows, mp3tag is an excellent tagger. If you're on Linux, I'd recommend puddletag. If you're on OSX, I don't know what to recommend.