Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    9,983
    Quote Originally Posted by RadBadMark View Post
    That is the way it works, I've been using it, try it and see! If it didn't, what would be the point of the new feature "Transcoding is now supported when requesting an HTTP download (/music/[id]/download[.extension])" in 7.6?

    You are correct that flc-flc-*-* *should* always be selected when playing a flac file on a capable squeezebox, that's EXACTLY what I do want - and that's the issue, when I add a rule for flc-ogg (to add the ability to http download server transcoded flc-ogg files), the native flc-flc rule is ignored when trying to playback flac files on the squeezebox.

    I think we're both expecting it to work in the same way regarding file playback, but maybe I havn't been too clear about my use of http download for on the fly transcoding?
    Ah... I see... apologies, I thought you were talking about playing a file via SBS. I'll try this "HTTP download" approach and see what happens.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    9,983

    Question

    I've played with this a lot more...

    It seems to go back to what I said earlier; when playing flac files from your library via SBS, if you have 2 active filetype rules:
    flc flc * *
    and
    flc ogg * *

    then one has to consistently win. As things stand, the ogg rule wins every time. I'm not sure why, but it does.

    If you were using real SB players (or at least something with a MAC address) you could make the whole system do exactly what you want.

    How would I test the "HTTP downloading" aspect?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

  3. #23
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17
    The native rule should always win (assuming the player has native capability and the native rule is not disabled) and if you look at the log the flc-flc rule is checked for first, but then something goes wrong and the rule seems to get ignored as the server moves on to checking flc-ogg. At least now I know the problems not specific to my system

    To test the http download

    http://[Server IP]:[port]/music/[id]/download[.extension]

    id is the id of the track you want to download, you can find it by looking at the download link of individual tracks in the web interface. extension is the file extension you want, transcoded or otherwise.

    e.g
    http://192.168.1.6:9000/music/11046/download.mp3

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Buckinghamshire, England
    Posts
    9,983

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by RadBadMark View Post
    The native rule should always win (assuming the player has native capability and the native rule is not disabled) and if you look at the log the flc-flc rule is checked for first, but then something goes wrong and the rule seems to get ignored as the server moves on to checking flc-ogg. At least now I know the problems not specific to my system

    To test the http download

    http://[Server IP]:[port]/music/[id]/download[.extension]

    id is the id of the track you want to download, you can find it by looking at the download link of individual tracks in the web interface. extension is the file extension you want, transcoded or otherwise.

    e.g
    http://192.168.1.6:9000/music/11046/download.mp3
    When you say the native rule "should" always win - do you mean that is how it is actually coded or is that how you think it should work?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10,855
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    When you say the native rule "should" always win - do you mean that is how it is actually coded or is that how you think it should work?
    That's how it should work, in addition to favoring lossless streaming for a lossless codec. That's how it's always been explained in these forums by the developers. When Flac-Flac and Flac-Mp3 are both enabled there are no issues, as long as the player plays Flac natively, that's what is streamed.

    It's a bug. The problem appears to be that when you toss it another rule, SBS all of a sudden requires the ability to seek to a start time offset.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    17
    Hmmmmm, I've had a quick scan through the code, and rightly or wrongly it looks like this is the way it's been coded, capabilities in order of preference for the squeezebox classic are

    wma ogg flc aif pcm mp3 (from slim/player/Squeezebox2.pm)

    I'm not too hot on Perl but it does look like despite mentioning "Checking to see if flc-flc-*-* is enabled" in the log, the server doesn't actually give priority to this, it looks at the above (per player) order of preference instead and checks this against the audio type rather than the other way around.

    If this is the case, what's not immediately obvious is why the flc-flc native rule isn't picked up when the ogg-flc rule fails as a consequence of me not providing a start time option. As JJZolx mentions, the server suddenly demands the start time option for the native rule too, so that now fails in a similar way...

  7. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Posts
    794
    You are all thinking about this logically, rather than how it actually works.

    Each player type defines a set of formats that it supports. For the majority this is:
    Code:
    wma ogg flc aif pcm mp3
    The point is that this is a priority order. There is a built-in assumption that convert.conf will not contain a trancoding rule that might transcode a lower-priority format to a higher-priority one.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    10,855
    Quote Originally Posted by awy View Post
    You are all thinking about this logically, rather than how it actually works.

    Each player type defines a set of formats that it supports. For the majority this is:
    Code:
    wma ogg flc aif pcm mp3
    The point is that this is a priority order. There is a built-in assumption that convert.conf will not contain a trancoding rule that might transcode a lower-priority format to a higher-priority one.
    Why would wma and ogg have a higher priority than Flac?

  9. #29
    Senior Member wt0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Why would wma and ogg have a higher priority than Flac?
    My guess is that since there are no default rules for converting anything to wma or ogg, these two formats are set to higher priority so that if you need to use a player on a lower bandwidth connection then you'll just have to add a flc->wma or flc->ogg rule for that player to make it work without having to disable the flc->flc rule.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •