Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Squeezeplay choose audio device?

How hard would it be to give SP the ability to choose it's audio output device on the host computer it is executing on?

All of my PC's have >1 audio device and in several cases I'd like to use the non-default device.
    Nearly every audio app I've used has this basic ability. What would it take to add it to SP?
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

I'd take a quick look at the source, except I can't find where I can get it because the slimdevices wiki is down.
    Yes, it will. Yes, all of them. Yes, SoftSqueeze as well. What ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    It is, thanks.
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

It looks like decode_portaudio_init in squeezeplay/src/audio/decode/decode_portaudio.c is the code that picks a device, it just uses the first device that it finds that supports the format/rate it needs.

Assuming that is correct, it would be fairly straight forward for a competent c/c++ coder to add a hacky solution there to use the device id from a config file instead. Unfortunately I don't fit the description of a competent c/c++ coder.

Adding "proper" support for picking devices in the app would obviously be much harder, involving UI changes and no doubt touching multiple layers of the code.
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
    It looks like decode_portaudio_init in squeezeplay/src/audio/decode/decode_portaudio.c is the code that picks a device, it just uses the first device that it finds that supports the format/rate it needs.

Assuming that is correct, it would be fairly straight forward for a competent c/c++ coder to add a hacky solution there to use the device id from a config file instead. Unfortunately I don't fit the description of a competent c/c++ coder.

Adding "proper" support for picking devices in the app would obviously be much harder, involving UI changes and no doubt touching multiple layers of the code.
    Thanks Andy... a hacky solution would work for me :-)
    I'll take a look at the code
    Cheers
    Phil
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Although that said, I can't see where decode_portaudio_init is called from, so it is entirely possible I'm barking up the wrong tree.
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Question

There's some strange code in there regarding sample rates:

decode_audio->max_rate = 48000;

Why is the max_rate capped at 48k?
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Like I say, I might be barking up the wrong tree, maybe that code isn't actually used ?
    I SAID ALL OF THEM !

Quote Originally Posted by andynormancx View Post
    Although that said, I can't see where decode_portaudio_init is called from, so it is entirely possible I'm barking up the wrong tree.
    You're in the right place.

There's a structure of function call pointers at the bottom. Which includes decode_portaudio_init.

The struct is then referenced in decode.c.
    Ralphy

1-Touch, 4-Classics, 2-Booms, 1-Reverted UE Radio 1-Squeezeslave, 2-Squeezeplays, 5-Squeezelites
    Squeezeslave donations always appreciated.