Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why is SqueezeServer so unreliable?

I have had other priorities than struggling with my Squeezeserver lately, but the last days I have tried to get the thing working. I have two computers, each with a server installed. Before I could easily choose any of these two servers from the player. After I disconnected the computers (to move them to an other location in the room)the player only find one of them. The ip-address is the same, everything else is the same. The player just tells me it can't connect. Why do this happen?

The last days when I┤ve tried to rescan my collection, it just stops after an hour or so, indication "scanning stopped unexpectadly". This is a fav remark from the SqueezeServer. A couple of weeks ago the server actually managed to scan the whole collection (after a couple of month refusing to do the service) but no longer. I am using the version: 7.5.3 - r31792 in both my computers.

So, why is the SqueezeServer not more reliable? Why do you have to be a professional IT-technician just to listen to your music?

Frankly, the SqueezeServer is an annoying item and still after two years it can't even sort music according to European letters, something it could in version 7.1... The old version (6) worked more or less perfect but do just run with XP and Vista, not with Win7.

Why bother and struggle with Squeezebox when there is other players that do not have these problems?

/ B

Sounds like you may have issues with virus scanners, etc. Can't say for sure. Maybe tag problems. As a counter example, I'm running either 7.5.3 on my WIN 7 machine and 7.5.2 on my Vortexbox Appliance and both are rock solid. My VBA server goes for months at a time without so much as a reboot. My music library is a mixture of FLAC, mp3, and AAC files (over 65,000 tracks). I've been using either WinXP, WIN 7, or vortexbox going back for about 3 years now, and find the software as stable as most of the software I use (firefox, MS Office, etc.).

I'm not arguing that there are never any SbS problems. There are. But I'm no IT person, and with a robust network, clean tags, and well organized music collection, it all simply works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Sounds like you may have issues with virus scanners, etc. Can't say for sure. Maybe tag problems.
    I┤m happy that it works so good for you!

In one of my servers it work as it should with scanning, on the other hand I have only about 15000 tracks there. In my other computer there is slightly over 250.000 tracks and maybe that can make a difference?

I had Microsofts antivirus program earlier and that caused problems. Nowadays I am using Avast! and that seems to be OK. Tag problems, well maybe. But the Squeezeserver shouldnt be affected by that, only report where there is problems. But certain things seems to be impossible to solve, like file copying in Windows. Once a problem occur it stops, instead of copying everything possible and then give a report of what that didn't.

/ B

Quote Originally Posted by Bill50x View Post
    In one of my servers it work as it should with scanning, on the other hand I have only about 15000 tracks there. In my other computer there is slightly over 250.000 tracks and maybe that can make a difference?

I had Microsofts antivirus program earlier and that caused problems. Nowadays I am using Avast! and that seems to be OK. Tag problems, well maybe. But the Squeezeserver shouldnt be affected by that, only report where there is problems. But certain things seems to be impossible to solve, like file copying in Windows. Once a problem occur it stops, instead of copying everything possible and then give a report of what that didn't.

/ B
    MSE now seems to work well with SbS. I use it on my WIN7 setup, just excluding .myi and my* files from scanning. Perhaps the 250k library size has an impact and is certainly at least correlated with what may be the underlying problem. I recall a few users here reporting FLAC libraries that size and stable use, but the sheer number opens up more possibilities of problems with files, etc. Can something like winamp or foobar2000 or itunes scan in all 250k with no issue? Just as a check on things...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill50x View Post
    Nowadays I am using Avast! and that seems to be OK.
    When Avast upgraded to Avast 6.0, I and at least two other users had issues where SBS could not locate the players. I solved my problem by replacing Avast with Avira. At least one other user had to open some ports to continue using Avast. A search of this forum should yield those threads to see if they might apply to your issues.

Angry look deepest: cost/benefits dilemma

Because they (at ilogitech) expect save some money and bring us the cheapest product they can actually find in china. They don't even care on solving our problems, they just wait for someone coming from the community fix their mess.

I have a brand new router, I'm paying for 100mb/s internet, I'm living in Europe (poor peolple from other countries who still have slower internet) but my squeezeshit cannot handle an entire night of straeming.

pski
    Quote Originally Posted by sociedaddelocio View Post
    Because they (at ilogitech) expect save some money and bring us the cheapest product they can actually find in china. They don't even care on solving our problems, they just wait for someone coming from the community fix their mess.

I have a brand new router, I'm paying for 100mb/s internet, I'm living in Europe (poor peolple from other countries who still have slower internet) but my squeezeshit cannot handle an entire night of straeming.
    Thanks for your deep understanding of the product. I hope your (6 or more) posts have been helpful to the other users here. This is not an "official" forum of logitech. It is a "community" of users who try to help.

Perhaps this is not your intention in which case you are invited to dive into your own anus.

Have a good weekend.

P

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Thanks for your deep understanding of the product. I hope your (6 or more) posts have been helpful to the other users here. This is not an "official" forum of logitech. It is a "community" of users who try to help.

Perhaps this is not your intention in which case you are invited to dive into your own anus.

Have a good weekend.

P
    See as you never ever have been facing a problem at all, good for you! How nice and congratulations! If your a logitech agent or fanboy and keep tracking my posts in order to show how uwful person I am, that's really... how to put this... childsh. Tomorrow I have to go to the university (I'm an undergrouted student. I study Italian, Spanish and mathematics if you don't care, so I suppose my time it's important and wasting 2 hours to try to figure out how this s*** works doesn't make me happy, it's not rocket science, isn't it?).
    You, maybe, live amongst smurf people; everybody is very, very happy. I'm not. I've pay almost 200 bucks for a bad product. I suppose it's normal for you visit this forum in order to follow other's post and so on, so keep on it my friend, I need solutions... or my money back.

See as you never ever have been facing a problem at all, good for you! How nice and congratulations! If your a logitech agent or fanboy and keep tracking my posts in order to show how uwful person I am, that's really... how to put this... childsh. Tomorrow I have to go to the university (I'm an undergrouted student. I study Italian, Spanish and mathematics if you don't care, so I suppose my time it's important and wasting 2 hours to try to figure out how this s*** works doesn't make me happy, it's not rocket science, isn't it?).
    You, maybe, live amongst smurf people; everybody is very, very happy. I'm not. I've pay almost 200 bucks for a bad product. I suppose it's normal for you visit this forum in order to follow other's post and so on, so keep on it my friend, I need solutions... or my money back.
    Solutions ? Have you ever tried to actually describe your (squeezebox)problem and your setup in some technical detail, if you seriusly wants answers, less tantrums would also help.
    There is also an official forum besides this user to user forum and support.
    That means that there is no logitech support on this forum rants acomplish nothing, besides alianating users that migth have a solution for
    you.

are you even in the rigth tread ? bill50 Tries to disguss the server software not the streaming.
    Streaming problems comes down to network problems in most cases ( No that your laptop works proves nothing ).

OT: is the server wired to the router *.myd and *.myi files not scanned by any active antivirus software, this would show up in the server log.
    is the players wifi strength any good ? Can you run the streaming test to any good rate.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I understand your frustration and it surely shouldn't be like this when you get a new product.

However, to make it possible for us to help you, it would be great if you could provide some details regarding:
    1. Do you use a locally install Squeezebox Server on a computer or do you use Logitech's central mysqueezebox.com servers ?
    2. Do you listen to local music or some internet radio or online service ?

Streaming problems are usually related to either:
    - Network problems (either in your local network or caused by your internet provider)
    - Logitech mysqueezebox.com servers which isn't always as reliable as one would expect
    - An online server or internet radio station which isn't always as reliable as one would expect.

If you want direct support and help, I'd recommend you to call the official Logitech support phone number. If you are prepared to wait and try different things, post the symptoms here and people will try to give you some ideas what to try.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.