Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • janesdsg
    • Mar 2011

Complete numptie seeks help with Touch and two Booms

Help, please! I've been reading through lots of the posts and it's very clear to me that you all have a much better knowledge of this sort of stuff than me so apologies if my question is very beginnerish. I've got two Squeezebox Booms and would like to play the music on my iPod through these. However, when I connect the iPod via the 'line in' socket the Booms won't sync, only the one that the iPod's plugged into plays. (They sync fine for internet radio, MP3 Tunes Locker and music on the PC.)

Logitech have suggested I buy a Touch and run the iPod through that but I can't see a 'line in' socket on the Touch. Just wondered if any of you out there can tell me if Logitech's suggestion will work - I don't want to buy the Touch if it's not going to do what I need.

Thanks for your help.
  • aubuti
    • Oct 2005

You can't sync another Squeezebox of any type with another Squeezebox that is playing from an iPod. When you connect the iPod to your Boom then you are basically using the Boom as a simple iPod dock, taking advantage of the Boom's amplifier and speakers. It doesn't pipe the iPod music to the music server in any way whatsoever.

And you are correct that there is no input for this on a Touch -- either the person you spoke to at Logitech didn't know what he/she was talking about, or you misunderstood.

This is something that Sonos can do, though I've personally never felt the need to play an iPod on multiple systems when I already have everything connected via the SB system, or could alternatively plug the iPod into any one of the systems.
    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
    Study: SB Radio
    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
    LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• garym
      • May 2008

Originally posted by aubuti
      You can't sync another Squeezebox of any type with another Squeezebox that is playing from an iPod. When you connect the iPod to your Boom then you are basically using the Boom as a simple iPod dock, taking advantage of the Boom's amplifier and speakers. It doesn't pipe the iPod music to the music server in any way whatsoever.

And you are correct that there is no input for this on a Touch -- either the person you spoke to at Logitech didn't know what he/she was talking about, or you misunderstood.

This is something that Sonos can do, though I've personally never felt the need to play an iPod on multiple systems when I already have everything connected via the SB system, or could alternatively plug the iPod into any one of the systems.
      +1, and why not just have your IPOD music, on your computer that runs SbS and then you can sync everything just fine....
      Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
      Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
      Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
      The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
      Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
      Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• janesdsg
        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by garym
        +1, and why not just have your IPOD music, on your computer that runs SbS and then you can sync everything just fine....
        Thanks Garym and Aubuti.

The music on the iPod is on my PC too but I was trying to get around having the PC turned on - sometimes the noise of the fan is a bit distracting. Would it work to plug the iPod into the Touch through the USB or am I just trying to do something that's impossible?

Grateful for your thoughts.

Comment

• garym
          • May 2008

Originally posted by janesdsg
          Thanks Garym and Aubuti.

The music on the iPod is on my PC too but I was trying to get around having the PC turned on - sometimes the noise of the fan is a bit distracting. Would it work to plug the iPod into the Touch through the USB or am I just trying to do something that's impossible?

Grateful for your thoughts.
          If it is one of the older ipods that can act as if it is simply a hard drive, this may be possible (I recall seeing threads about this way back). On the other hand, pick up a Toshiba 1TB harddrive the size of a pack of cigarettes and put your files on this, and connect it to the TOUCH.

Or better yet, get yourself a fanless, small, headless computer to run as a music server 24/7. Check out the SheevaPlug (squeezeplug), FitPC2i, etc.
          Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
          Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
          Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• aubuti
            • Oct 2005

You could attach an externally-powered USB hard drive to the Touch's USB port, and then use the Touch's built-in server to stream music to other Squeezeboxes. The success rate with the Touch's built-in server is definitely mixed. It works fine for some people and terribly for others. The main determining factors seem to be type of USB drive, size of music library, organization of music library (especially album artwork), user expectations, user competence, and user patience.

Newer models of iPod cannot be used as external data drives, but if your iPod is one of the older models with a mechanical hard drive that can be used as an external USB drive then you may be able to use it this way.

Is putting the pc in a different room an option? Or getting a small, inexpensive, fanless computer for running SBS?

EDIT: beat me to it, garym! Yeah, what he said.
            Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
            Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
            Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
            Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
            Study: SB Radio
            Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
            LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• janesdsg
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by garym
              If it is one of the older ipods that can act as if it is simply a hard drive, this may be possible (I recall seeing threads about this way back). On the other hand, pick up a Toshiba 1TB harddrive the size of a pack of cigarettes and put your files on this, and connect it to the TOUCH.

Or better yet, get yourself a fanless, small, headless computer to run as a music server 24/7. Check out the SheevaPlug (squeezeplug), FitPC2i, etc.
              Thanks, Garym.

I'll probably go down the Toshiba route.

Comment

• garym
                • May 2008

Originally posted by janesdsg
                Thanks, Garym.

I'll probably go down the Toshiba route.
                I mention the toshiba, because some USB powered drives work ok with the TOUCH and some don't. A lot of folks have had good luck with the TOSHIBA. A USB drive that has a "fake" partition to act as a CD drive, for example, can cause problems with the TOUCH.

Comment

Working...