Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718
    I only do music and use the powerline doo-hickies and they're fine, but when copying a ripped CD to the server over those same powerline doo-hickies it takes muuuch longer than when I use a PC that's plugged into the same switch that the server is plugged into. so yeah, they're definitely not giving me the advertised speed. But for music? perfect solution.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Set-top boxes are a mess. Choose one and this will direct which OS you can use on the server. LMS will adapt, it runs on a lot of platforms (win, mac, linux, bsd…)

Slightly OT, but what is wrong with set-top boxes? I'm going down the RPi route for the Squeezebox Touch now and looking at the media side of things now. After a bit of research debating between a second RPi with XBMC and the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player with local external HDD attached rather than a server.

Quote Originally Posted by Toki View Post
    Slightly OT, but what is wrong with set-top boxes? I'm going down the RPi route for the Squeezebox Touch now and looking at the media side of things now. After a bit of research debating between a second RPi with XBMC and the WDTV Live Streaming Media Player with local external HDD attached rather than a server.
    To each their own. I guess I would favor a general compute platform (the RPi) in case the software is good enough.

Many years ago, I got an Apple TV v1, hacked it to install an automounter and do nfs to my server. It has the UI I want, and can connect to where I put my movies, sorted and documented the way I want. Getting to this result wasn't without some unwarranted amount of work from my part (and from underground plugin developers, thanks to them.)
    It doesn't play 1080p media (not enough horsepower from the Atom-like CPU) but I don't care. It has been playing mp4 videos reliably for years, much to the difference of my previous attempts with boxes quickly obsoleted by codec/format evolution, or computers running a semi-stable software stack.

I have a spare unit in the event the one in operation gives up the ghost. I would hate to have to jump through the same hoops if both were gone and I had to find a newer and better solution to a simple issue: enjoying my movies with the same degree of freedom the SB has allowed for music.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

Quote Originally Posted by Toki View Post
    Nothing, if you have strongly defined necessities that a set-top box you actually choose can fulfill. Just don't expect new feature updates and flexibility should your necessities change/evolve. I am quite satisfied with my WD-TV Live!, I just wish 10bit h264 hadn't been invented.

An old thread but I thought I'd mention that there is another UK £100 cash back on the current incarnation of the HP Microserver, now with AMD 2.2GHz processor, bringing the cost down to £150 from ebuyer

There is also a £76 cashback on the HP 3 year care pack.

These cash back offers expire 30th Sept.

(I'm tempted to get another Microserver!)
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

The HP G7 N54L AMD Turion 250GB MicroServer - 704941-421 is available for £86 net from some reputable online suppliers !!!
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnB View Post
    The HP G7 N54L AMD Turion 250GB MicroServer - 704941-421 is available for £86 net from some reputable online suppliers !!!
    Thanks for that. I have ordered one this minute having been dithering for months. Not often I get lucky with prices!

Jerry

Now you just have to decide which OS to use!

(With lots of trepidation, never having used Linux before, I plumped for Ubuntu - partly because it was free!)