X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave1972
    • Feb 2011

Firmware update request to ease strain on resources

Hi

I always use my Touch with a hard drive directly connected as I hate having my noisy PC on whilst listening to music. I have found that each time I connect the hard drive it scans the whole drive, which can take a very long time. Of course, the time can be reduced by removing all non-music-related files from the hard drive, but still it's a long time for massive collections. The larger the music collection, the more unstable the Touch becomes under the strain.

So I humbly have two requests.

1. Would it be possible to allow the Touch to play files WITHOUT scanning the hard drive first? In other words, just allow the user to navigate through the music folders to his desired album, and then make the Touch scan only the relevant folder after the user has selected a file to play? This would allow truly massive music collections to be connected without putting a huge strain on resources, and would save a lot of scanning time too, and increase stability.

2. Additionally, would it be possible to be able to nominate a folder to scan on start-up. At the moment, as I mentioned earlier, the Touch automatically scans the whole hard drive (which might contain lots of irrelevant folders and files). I would love it to display the following message: "USB Device detected. Choose one of the following options: 1. Scan the whole drive. 2. Scan a nominated folder

Any chance? I look forward to some replies.
  • Phil Leigh
    • Apr 2005

1) don't have anything but music files on the disk
    2) stop removing the disk

Simples :-)
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• Mnyb
      • Feb 2006

3. keep Touch and disc powered all the time.
      4. Use Touch's network share function to add new music over your Lan, no need to remove the drive .

5. get another drive for you backupps.
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
      Bedroom/Office: Boom
      Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
      Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
      iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
      (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
      server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• JJZolx
        • Apr 2005

Would it be possible to allow the Touch to play files WITHOUT scanning the hard drive first?
        I have an 8 GB SanDisk Fuze Mp3 player with a 32 GB microSDHC card. A total of 40 GB of storage, full. I've installed Rockbox on the player and can boot into either OS.

With the SanDisk firmware when the player is booted up it scans all 40 GB for changes and makes you wait before you can use the player. But Rockbox boots straight into the OS. If you need to re-index the music library you do so manually by going through Settings. And it indexes the library in the background and you can use the player in the meantime.

Needless to say, the Rockbox approach is greatly preferred. Why the same wasn't done on the Touch is a mystery.

Additionally, would it be possible to be able to nominate a folder to scan on start-up.
        The overriding theme during the development of the Touch's server was to keep it as mind-numbingly simple as possible. With as few user options as they could possibly get away with. Even if it means that many people will be unable to use the server because it's too inflexible. Since its release, very little has changed. The rote advice: If you want more, run a separate server and pretend the internal server doesn't exist.

Comment

• Dave1972
          • Feb 2011

@ JJZolx:

Snap! Me too - I have Sansa Fuze + Rockbox, and I love it!
          I take your point about the intention to keep the server incredibly simple - but I'm sure an "Advanced" option could be made available that simpletons could ignore!

@ Phil Leigh and Mnyb:

Sorry, I should have clarified the following:

* Scanning and indexing large collections makes the Touch unstable, so at the moment the only solution (for those not using a LAN or PC to stream) is to have smaller collections split between separate hard drives. This requires occasionally disconnecting and re-connecting drives. I also don't like to leave drives switched on 24/7.

* I don't like to leave my PC switched on whilst using the Touch because it is in the same room, and it's noisy, hence I connect drives to the Touch's USB direct. I actually really love the ability to do this, but feel the experience could possibly be even better with my suggestions.

Would my firmware suggestions be feasible in a future update, do you think?
          Last edited by Dave1972; 2011-02-28, 21:28.

Comment

• Mnyb
            • Feb 2006

Hmm can the server be installed on a PC *not* in the same room ? that would be the best, or is simply a shortage of rooms to :-/

With a large collection you deserve to run the real server imho
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
            Bedroom/Office: Boom
            Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
            Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
            iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
            (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
            server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• Phil Leigh
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Dave1972
              @ JJZolx:

Snap! Me too - I have Sansa Fuze + Rockbox, and I love it!
              I take your point about the intention to keep the server incredibly simple - but I'm sure an "Advanced" option could be made available that simpletons could ignore!

@ Phil Leigh and Mnyb:

Sorry, I should have clarified the following:

* Scanning and indexing large collections makes the Touch unstable, so at the moment the only solution (for those not using a LAN or PC to stream) is to have smaller collections split between separate hard drives. This requires occasionally disconnecting and re-connecting drives. I also don't like to leave drives switched on 24/7.

* I don't like to leave my PC switched on whilst using the Touch because it is in the same room, and it's noisy, hence I connect drives to the Touch's USB direct. I actually really love the ability to do this, but feel the experience could possibly be even better with my suggestions.

Would my firmware suggestions be feasible in a future update, do you think?
              Just how large is this collection? - there are folks running 65k+ libraries with no stability issues...

I have no idea why you don't want to leave the disk on 24/7... it should sleep when not serving up data. Disk life is shortened by cold booting... anyway disk drives cost peanuts these days - 2Tb is £75!!
              You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
              Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
              Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• Dave1972
                • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                Just how large is this collection? - there are folks running 65k+ libraries with no stability issues...

I have no idea why you don't want to leave the disk on 24/7... it should sleep when not serving up data. Disk life is shortened by cold booting... anyway disk drives cost peanuts these days - 2Tb is £75!!
                65K?! My own library is about 500GB (lossless 16/44.1 FLAC mainly, but also some 24/96 FLACs - which sound fantastic on the Touch, by the way). Many people have reported stability issues with large libraries (just check some reviews on Amazon). I have had such issues too, which are much reduced by splitting my collection into separate drives. But this is a "workaround" rather than a real solution.

My Freecom drives don't sleep when left connected to the Touch, but maybe that's just those ones. That's just a side issue though. I have to disconnect the drives periodically to change collections, because large collections make the Touch unstable.

Comment

• Dave1972
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Mnyb
                  Hmm can the server be installed on a PC *not* in the same room ?
                  No.
                  Last edited by Dave1972; 2011-02-28, 22:03. Reason: Self-restraint.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                    • Apr 2005

65K?! My own library is about 500GB (lossless 16/44.1 FLAC mainly, but also some 24/96 FLACs - which sound fantastic on the Touch, by the way). Many people have reported stability issues with large libraries (just check some reviews on Amazon). I have had such issues too, which are much reduced by splitting my collection into separate drives. But this is a "workaround" rather than a real solution.

My Freecom drives don't sleep when left connected to the Touch, but maybe that's just those ones. That's just a side issue though. I have to disconnect the drives periodically to change collections, because large collections make the Touch unstable.
                    65,000 tracks... not bytes

I don't read Amazon reviews, the gene pool is too low.

The number of bytes is irrelevant. The number of tracks is what counts...
                    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• Dave1972
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                      65,000 tracks... not bytes

I don't read Amazon reviews, the gene pool is too low.

The number of bytes is irrelevant. The number of tracks is what counts...
                      OK Phil, I've never counted my tracks. But there are lots. And lots. And if I put them all on one drive, the Touch becomes slow and unstable. And judging by many other reviews elsewhere, I am not alone in this.

Comment

• garym
                        • May 2008

If you must have the PC in the same room as listening, and prefer not to have it on due to noise, you should probably investigate a "silent" computer. Something like a sheevaplug (with squeezeplug setup) or FitPC2i running win7, winxp, or linux. You can connect USB drives to either of these, they are powerful (the fitpc2i is really powerful) and have no fans to create noise. They are also small (paperback book size) and are designed to be run headless (no keyboard or monitor needed).
                        Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
                        Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
                        Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
                        The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
                        Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
                        Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• JJZolx
                          • Apr 2005

OK Phil, I've never counted my tracks. But there are lots. And lots. And if I put them all on one drive, the Touch becomes slow and unstable. And judging by many other reviews elsewhere, I am not alone in this.
                          Do you use the Touch while it's still scanning the library at startup? From other reports one key to stability is avoiding all use of the player while its still performing its startup scan.

Comment

• Dave1972
                            • Feb 2011

Originally posted by garym
                            If you must have the PC in the same room as listening, and prefer not to have it on due to noise, you should probably investigate a "silent" computer. Something like a sheevaplug (with squeezeplug setup) or FitPC2i running win7, winxp, or linux. You can connect USB drives to either of these, they are powerful (the fitpc2i is really powerful) and have no fans to create noise. They are also small (paperback book size) and are designed to be run headless (no keyboard or monitor needed).
                            I don't want to have a computer running every time I use the Touch. One of the primary reasons for buying the Touch, was that it can play audio files WITHOUT having a PC switched on, which I love. I would love it even more if I could connect my sizeable library to it without it malfunctioning. As it happens, my workaround of splitting my library between separate drives into smaller collections has made the Touch much more stable, as less tracks are indexed into its memory. But it is only a workaround, not a solution.

Please see my original suggestions, and maybe someone could advise me if this is feasible.

Comment

• Dave1972
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by JJZolx
                              Do you use the Touch while it's still scanning the library at startup? From other reports one key to stability is avoiding all use of the player while its still performing its startup scan.
                              You're absolutely right JJZolx. No, I don't play music whilst it is scanning as this is a recipe for a crash. But even after indexing, the larger the collection, the more unstable it seems to be (e.g. losing connection to the drive when performing certain functions like track skipping, searching, and playing a different track to the one selected, etc). Since reducing the number of files on the drive these things don't happen anymore. I concluded the symptoms were due to strain on the internal memory given that it has no option but to scan the entire drive upon connection. I guess this could be resolved with my suggestions (at least no one so far has suggested why this wouldn't work), but until then I'll use multiple drives.
                              Last edited by Dave1972; 2011-02-28, 22:49.

Comment

Working...