Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Calm Radio

Hi BPA. Thanks again. I'm not a native programmer, this might be a bit of a stretch.

On a related note, I just heard back from the Calmradio.com Help Desk. Apparently there's no way to show the Album Art in their paid-for subscription urls on platforms like vTuner (which manages my Yamaha AV receiver's radio stations) - I guess my needs were/are simple: Just show the Art! ☺ Apparently, the Art shows on their FREE station/genre urls (with ads and reduced music quality) but the subscription model's special urls just don't allow/transmit images of any kind.

I think I'll get my coat! ☺

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

Quote Originally Posted by StevePalmer View Post
    Hi BPA. Thanks again. I'm not a native programmer, this might be a bit of a stretch.
    So I'll keep it on the backburner - I play Calm every so often so it is a bti of interest. There are some interesting LMS programming challenges in handling the channel list.

On a related note, I just heard back from the Calmradio.com Help Desk. Apparently there's no way to show the Album Art in their paid-for subscription urls on platforms like vTuner (which manages my Yamaha AV receiver's radio stations) - I guess my needs were/are simple: Just show the Art! ☺ Apparently, the Art shows on their FREE station/genre urls (with ads and reduced music quality) but the subscription model's special urls just don't allow/transmit images of any kind.
    Yes - artwork is not part of the stream (e.g. Radio paradise does this) - artwork is kept separate - this enables the streams to be handled by lots of plain internet radio.[/QUOTE]

If I get the free station working with art - then adding on the paid channel may be too hard (AFAICT the sequence is send message to Calm with user id and password - Calm replies with token and token is then used with URL of a paid stream. Tokens are time limited so I'm not sure what happens when time runs out).

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    So I'll keep it on the backburner - I play Calm every so often so it is a bti of interest. There are some interesting LMS programming challenges in handling the channel list.

Yes - artwork is not part of the stream (e.g. Radio paradise does this) - artwork is kept separate - this enables the streams to be handled by lots of plain internet radio.
    If I get the free station working with art - then adding on the paid channel may be too hard (AFAICT the sequence is send message to Calm with user id and password - Calm replies with token and token is then used with URL of a paid stream. Tokens are time limited so I'm not sure what happens when time runs out).[/QUOTE]Cheers again BPA. On a non-techy note, I'm just a bit disappointed with Calmradio.com that (in my simplistic world) I've ended up with 'less' in total for my package by paying more thru subscribing! There was no explicit declaration that I'd lose the Art using vTuner when I took out a subscription, but there again, that appears to be a limitation of vTuner rather than Calm Radio - but the art was always a good thing when showing off Calm Radio on a Tablet to mates!

Onwards and upwards! ☺

Steve
    Kettering, UK

Quote Originally Posted by StevePalmer View Post
    On a non-techy note, I'm just a bit disappointed with Calmradio.com that (in my simplistic world) I've ended up with 'less' in total for my package by paying more thru subscribing! There was no explicit declaration that I'd lose the Art using vTuner when I took out a subscription, but there again, that appears to be a limitation of vTuner rather than Calm Radio - but the art was always a good thing when showing off Calm Radio on a Tablet to mates
    I can't comment on vTuner but from past experience any intermediary rarely help. AFAICT Calm artwork mainly supported by Phones, Tablets, Roku, AppleTV, Amazon, Windows and browsers. Paid subs gets rid of ads and access to better quality streams (320k and 192k) and possibly some sort of personalisation (e.g. Favorites). I don't know what they mean by Multimixing.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I can't comment on vTuner but from past experience any intermediary rarely help. AFAICT Calm artwork mainly supported by Phones, Tablets, Roku, AppleTV, Amazon, Windows and browsers. Paid subs gets rid of ads and access to better quality streams (320k and 192k) and possibly some sort of personalisation (e.g. Favorites). I don't know what they mean by Multimixing.
    Multimixing allows you to mix multiple sources, ie the music track overplayed with say 'white noise' and/or stuff like 'whales singing'. Not my bag, but quite clever! ☺

Steve
    Kettering, UK

FYI ickstream supports the basic version of calmradio, there are plans to support the full version when the devs can focus on some new development again.
    http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...eta_Squeezebox
    Interested in the future of music streaming ? www.ickStream.com - A world of music at your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by remd View Post
    FYI ickstream supports the basic version of calmradio, there are plans to support the full version when the devs can focus on some new development again.
    http://wiki.ickstream.com/index.php/...eta_Squeezebox
    Cheers for this. I hadn't realised Calm Radio was available via this route. Having taken out a subscription with them, I hope the Ickstream Dec's get a chance to code the full version.

Thanks again!

Steve
    Kettering, UK