Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Calm Radio

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    207

    Calm Radio

    Does anyone have experience with this service? (www.calmradio.com) I ran across it yesterday in the Radio category in iTunes. The classical streams are quite nice (192K in VIP), so I signed up for a month. It was easy to create favorites in SBS using the stream URLs that Calm provided to me, but it's the kind of thing that probably needs an app or plug in.

    The web player is nice, with album art and a list of previously heard tracks. The album art doesn't come through on SBS or my Touch.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ikabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,446
    Quote Originally Posted by cjfreitag View Post
    Does anyone have experience with this service? (www.calmradio.com) I ran across it yesterday in the Radio category in iTunes. The classical streams are quite nice (192K in VIP), so I signed up for a month. It was easy to create favorites in SBS using the stream URLs that Calm provided to me, but it's the kind of thing that probably needs an app or plug in.

    The web player is nice, with album art and a list of previously heard tracks. The album art doesn't come through on SBS or my Touch.
    Yes, I totally agree. I am finding the Calm Radio stations very nice and the 192k streams enjoyable.
    An app or plug-in would be very convenient.
    Ikabob


    Squeezebox Touch w/LMS V7.9; Benchmark DAC1 USB;Marantz Pre-amp; SAE Amplifier;ESS Heil Speakers(main listening speakers plus various additional speakers).
    Multiple players: SqueezeBooms,SqueezeRadios; SB3;
    Services:Rhapsody;Slacker;RadioTunes;Spotify (+Triode's Plugin);CalmRadio,Napster,
    Ipeng remote controller.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    207
    I was surprised to see this thread come back to life! I still listen to Calm Radio a lot, and their station list has grown a lot. +1 for an app or plug-in.

  4. #4

    calmradio

    Just signed up. After losing MOG, I still have no favorite. Calmradio has a lot of good choices, and plays nicely over the squeezebox. I wish for an album art display. The album art works fine on the ipad.

  5. #5
    Senior Member StevePalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198
    I'm a great fan of Calm Radio too. Do you know how to get it to play on squeezebox radios?

    Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    15,257
    Calm stations can be found using LMS Radio "Search" but it is basic playing - no metadata ( images etc.)

    Calm use a proprietary API and AFAIK so not as simple as add a password. A full plugin is needed to get full features and metadata.
    That said there is a Kodi Calm plugin which seems to have figured parts of the API but Kodi is nothing like LMS and written in Python- so nothing can be salvaged except knowledge.

  7. #7
    Senior Member StevePalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Calm stations can be found using LMS Radio "Search" but it is basic playing - no metadata ( images etc.)

    Calm use a proprietary API and AFAIK so not as simple as add a password. A full plugin is needed to get full features and metadata.
    That said there is a Kodi Calm plugin which seems to have figured parts of the API but Kodi is nothing like LMS and written in Python- so nothing can be salvaged except knowledge.
    Thanks for clarifying things bpa. Seems like a less-than-ideal workaround, but I'm grateful for you pointing me in the right direction. Had a feeling it would need a plugin of some sort. I'm on the subscription model with Calm and even using vTuner with my Yamaha AV (both are recommended 'paths'/pairings) there's no album art due to a limitation with vTuner. Bah!

    Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    15,257
    Quote Originally Posted by StevePalmer View Post
    Thanks for clarifying things bpa. Seems like a less-than-ideal workaround, but I'm grateful for you pointing me in the right direction. Had a feeling it would need a plugin of some sort. I'm on the subscription model with Calm and even using vTuner with my Yamaha AV (both are recommended 'paths'/pairings) there's no album art due to a limitation with vTuner. Bah!

    Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
    I just looked at the some of the traffic on a Calm radio. It may be possible to hack something minimal - can't guarantee anyhting soon but for the record.
    This URL list all Calm channels with URLs for associated "recent tacks" and URLs for free and paid at different rates. https://api.calmradio.com/channels.json

    The MP3 uses ICY metadata so that track details info will be played as normal by LMS - no need for anything special.

    For album/Recent track art - many free channel have a "recent track" URL such as https://api.calmradio.com/recent_tracks/free-27.json which gives details of "now playing" and associated artwork.

    To figure out paid channel API would require taking out a subscription.

  9. #9
    Senior Member StevePalmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    I just looked at the some of the traffic on a Calm radio. It may be possible to hack something minimal - can't guarantee anyhting soon but for the record.
    This URL list all Calm channels with URLs for associated "recent tacks" and URLs for free and paid at different rates. https://api.calmradio.com/channels.json

    The MP3 uses ICY metadata so that track details info will be played as normal by LMS - no need for anything special.

    For album/Recent track art - many free channel have a "recent track" URL such as https://api.calmradio.com/recent_tracks/free-27.json which gives details of "now playing" and associated artwork.

    To figure out paid channel API would require taking out a subscription.
    This is great bpa, you're a star. I've already taken out a subscription today. Sounds like a nice little project for me on a rainy Sunday!

    Anything else I need to know?

    Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
    Steve
    Kettering, UK

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    15,257
    If you're happy enough with coding ands JSON then the Kodi plugin helps a bit (now that some of the apis have been identified). I pretty sure you don't need to use https - I would swap http for http where possible.

    In the Kodi plugin ( https://github.com/nire0510/plugin.audio.calmradio ) - the config.py has this array of URLs against function
    Code:
           'calm_website': 'https://calmradio.com',
            'calm_categories_api': 'http://api.calmradio.com/categories.json',
            'calm_channels_api': 'http://api.calmradio.com/channels.json',
            'calm_arts_host': 'http://arts.calmradio.com',
            'calm_blurred_arts_host': 'http://calmradio.com/kodi/blurred',
            'calm_auth_api': 'https://api.calmradio.com/get_token?user={0}&pass={1}',
            'calm_sua_api': 'http://api.calmradio.com/check?user={0}&pass={1}',
            'calm_favorites_api': 'http://calmradio.com/player/favorites.php?login={0}&token={1}&action={2}&id={3}'
    As you can see the ones I found are there. Also the user and authorisation APIs are there so the Kodi plugin may use them.

    The Kodi plugin doesn't seem to use the "recent tracks" which I would use for metadata. The partial URLs for covert art in the Recent Track JSON images need to be prefxied by https://arts.calmradio.com
    eg. https://arts.calmradio.com/Zm9sZGVyX2FydC9hcnQ=/000/000/000/000/056/246/399f8a26-b401-4ffe-9411-01de6505cc5c.jpg

    For cover art I would think about using Slim::Player::ProtocolHandlers->registerIconHandler - need to test whether it can handle changing artwork but it could simplify displaying metadata artwork.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •