Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil Leigh
    • Apr 2005

can we get the latest version of sox?

Is there any chance of getting sox 14.3.1 into 7.6? (I think we are on 14.3.0?) - it fixes a bug in 24-bit flac handling.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.
  • Mnyb
    • Feb 2006

Now I'm curius ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• slate
      • May 2009

14.3.1 is from April

14.3.2.RC1 was labelled a week ago; so a release is getting closer
      Last edited by slate; 2011-02-19, 23:39.
      Main: Receiver (Audiocom) -> Beresford Caiman+ (Gatorized) -> Carver A-500x -> B&W 704
      Office: Receiver -> Luxman L-210 -> Stax SR84 Pro
      -> Beresford Bushmaster -> Superlux HD668B
      Server: A8-5500, 4 GB, SSD+ 2*1 TB, Win8 w. SBS 7.9.0 (SQLite w. High Mem)
      Tied together by D-Link DIR-655 + DGS-1008D

Comment

• Phil Leigh
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Mnyb
        Now I'm curius ?
        During up/downsampling via the sox RATE command, sox doesn't produce 24-bit flacs as output even if you tell it to. I get round this by using sox to produce 24-bit pcm and then using flac.exe to create the flac for streaming. It would be nice to get rid of the extra flac.exe process...
        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• Mnyb
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
          During up/downsampling via the sox RATE command, sox doesn't produce 24-bit flacs as output even if you tell it to. I get round this by using sox to produce 24-bit pcm and then using flac.exe to create the flac for streaming. It would be nice to get rid of the extra flac.exe process...
          Aha it was note that clear by the release notes, thankyou
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
          Bedroom/Office: Boom
          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• michael123
            • Feb 2009

1) it is a very easy fix..
            2) you can integrate yourself... actually, it is just replacing the sox.exe in binaries..

I am more frustrated about (lack of) NAS support
            Michael

Comment

• Phil Leigh
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by michael123
              1) it is a very easy fix..
              2) you can integrate yourself... actually, it is just replacing the sox.exe in binaries..

I am more frustrated about (lack of) NAS support
              But you can't just replace the sox.exe? - it's a specially compiled version?
              Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• michael123
                • Feb 2009

But you can't just replace the sox.exe? - it's a specially compiled version?
                no, it is plain sox..
                Michael

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                  • Apr 2005

no, it is plain sox..
                  hmmm I'm confused. The sox.exe (14.3.0?) installed by SBS is 4,692kb whereas the sox.exe I downloaded as 14.3.1 is only 2,429kb...
                  Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• michael123
                    • Feb 2009

hmmm I'm confused. The sox.exe (14.3.0?) installed by SBS is 4,692kb whereas the sox.exe I downloaded as 14.3.1 is only 2,429kb...
                    sox can be built with or without some modules (there are some conditionals there).

Actually, I see my sox (and I added few things like polyphase from from 14.2) is also 2.12MB

Does it work, what you've downloaded?
                    Michael

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                      • Apr 2005

sox can be built with or without some modules (there are some conditionals there).

Actually, I see my sox (and I added few things like polyphase from from 14.2) is also 2.12MB

I'll try it tomorrow...
                      Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                        • Apr 2005

It does work - thanks, Michael. The filesize differnces are because the SBS version has the DLL's statically linked.
                        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• cvj
                          • Dec 2005

How exactly does SOX work?

I have a large number of 96/24 Flac encoded files, which I stream to my SB3.

How exactly does SOX work? Does it simply strip every other "bit" or is there something more sophisticated going on "under the hood" in the SBS?

Sorry for asking but I am not that technical :-)

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cvj
                            I have a large number of 96/24 Flac encoded files, which I stream to my SB3.

How exactly does SOX work? Does it simply strip every other "bit" or is there something more sophisticated going on "under the hood" in the SBS?

Sorry for asking but I am not that technical :-)
                            I guess you meant "every other sample" :-)

I'm not sure we can explain exactly how SOX works if you aren't that technical...

you can read this: http://leute.server.de/wilde/resample.html#DownSampling

or you can just be assured that SOX does a very very good job of downsampling (and indeed upsampling).
                            Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• Wombat
                              • Feb 2006

Before someone asks more questions about "Polyphase"
                              The sox team didnĀ“t remove it cause of some strange politics. The recent rate effect at vhq is simply more precise and adds less noise.
                              Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers

Comment

Working...