Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Help me get my head round the TPE2 tag

Is it possible to display the iTunes album artist field in SBS? Or rather, if an album is tagged as having an album artist, is it possible to just see it listed just under its album artist tag, or is it always visible under both the album artist as well as the individual artists on the album? For example, Steve Earle's The Mountain, which in iTunes I've tagged with Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band as the artist and Steve Earle as the album artist. In SBS, it appears twice, listed under both Steve Earle and then again by Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band. I've got 'Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist' checked in SBS settings but I've also tried it set to 'Band', which didn't change anything. (To be honest, I’m not entirely sure I understand the pop-up info regarding these two options.)

From reading older posts about this tag, if I've understood things correctly, if I'm using the TPE2/album artists field for an album, I shouldn't be seeing the artist listing. Have I got that right? I'm a new user so I'm probably just being a bit dim here. What am I missing?

(I did have some screengrabs of my settings I was going to post here, but I see I can't do that on my first post.)

Many thanks

John

Are you just trying to keep 'Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band' from being listed among the artists, or are you trying to accomplish something else?

The way I have this album tagged (in Flac, which allows you to have multiple fields of the same name) is:

ALBUMARTIST=Steve Earle
    ALBUMARTISTSORT=Earle, Steve
    ARTIST=Steve Earle
    ARTIST=Del McCoury

Both Steve Earle and Del McCoury have other albums beside this one, so both are in the artist list anyway.

Another way to tag this, which I've used for similar two-artist albums, would be:

ALBUMARTIST=Steve Earle & Del McCoury
    ALBUMARTISTSORT=Earle, Steve & McCoury, Del
    ARTIST=Steve Earle
    ARTIST=Del McCoury

The difference here is that 1) You'll have an artist named 'Steve Earle & Del McCoury' in your artist list and 2) when albums are sorted by artist it would come after Steve Earle's regular albums, whereas tagging using the first example would have them sorted among Steve Earle's albums.

For Mp3 id3v2.3 which doesn't have multiple same named fields, you would have to use a separator character. Something like:

TPE2=Steve Earle
    TSO2=Earle, Steve
    TPE1=Steve Earle; Del McCoury

And configure Squeezebox Server to use the semi-colon (";") as a field separator in the My Music settings. (Caveat: I don't use iTunes integration, so I'm not certain the separator works when importing from an iTunes database.)
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2011-01-24 at 21:02.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Are you just trying to keep 'Steve Earle & The Del McCoury Band' from being listed among the artists, or are you trying to accomplish something else?
    Thanks, JJZolx. Yep, that's all I'm trying to do. I just want it to appear as a Steve Earle album. I thought tagging it in iTunes with Steve Earle as album artist should have done the trick, but it's appearing in SBS under both Steve Earle and Steve Earle and Del McCoury.

Very interesting to see how many more tagging options you have that I don't see in iTunes.

If I can get this one figured out then I can apply my new-found knowledge to John Prine's In Spite of Ourselves, which features 15 duets!

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    Thanks, JJZolx. Yep, that's all I'm trying to do. I just want it to appear as a Steve Earle album. I thought tagging it in iTunes with Steve Earle as album artist should have done the trick, but it's appearing in SBS under both Steve Earle and Steve Earle and Del McCoury.
    If you set both Steve Earle and Del McCoury as artists, then it will appear in their list of albums (when browsing artists). There's nothing you can do about that. If you set ALBUMARTIST/TPE2 to 'Steve Earle' then when browsing albums the album should appear under 'Steve Earle'. If you don't want the album listed among Del McCoury's albums then simply leave Del McCoury out of the ARTIST tag(s).

Very interesting to see how many more tagging options you have that I don't see in iTunes.
    Everything mentioned is available in iTunes, albeit with more verbose name. You might have to enable the fields to be viewable in iTunes.

ARTIST/TPE1 is 'Artist'
    ARTISTSORT/TSOP is 'Sort Artist'
    ALBUMARTIST/TPE2 is 'Album Artist'
    ALBUMARTISTSORT/TSO2 is 'Sort Album Artist'

Consider using Mp3tag to modify your tags instead of iTunes. It can do everything that iTunes can, and much, much more.

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

And unless you're importing iTunes playlists there's no reason to use iTunes integration in Squeezebox Server. You can just point the server at your Mp3 library and let it scan the files by itself. There tends to be fewer problems that way.

If you set both Steve Earle and Del McCoury as artists, then it will appear in their list of albums (when browsing artists). There's nothing you can do about that. If you set ALBUMARTIST/TPE2 to 'Steve Earle' then when browsing albums the album should appear under 'Steve Earle'. If you don't want the album listed among Del McCoury's albums then simply leave Del McCoury out of the ARTIST tag(s).
    I haven't set 'Steve Earle' and 'Del McCoury' as artists – the artist/TPE1 tag is simply 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band'; the album artist/TPE2 is 'Steve Earle'. If I'm understanding you correctly though, then it sounds very much like I actually can't do what I want to do – the album will always be listed under 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band'. If I put 'Steve Earle' as the album artist/TPE2, then it will be listed under that as well as, but not instead of, whatever I have in TPE1. Have I got that right?

Everything mentioned is available in iTunes, albeit with more verbose name. You might have to enable the fields to be viewable in iTunes.

ARTIST/TPE1 is 'Artist'
    ARTISTSORT/TSOP is 'Sort Artist'
    ALBUMARTIST/TPE2 is 'Album Artist'
    ALBUMARTISTSORT/TSO2 is 'Sort Album Artist'

Consider using Mp3tag to modify your tags instead of iTunes. It can do everything that iTunes can, and much, much more.
    Except run on my Mac, that is ;( You're quite right – I'd completely overlooked those additional sort fields.

And unless you're importing iTunes playlists there's no reason to use iTunes integration in Squeezebox Server. You can just point the server at your Mp3 library and let it scan the files by itself. There tends to be fewer problems that way.
    I had considered that, but there are quite a few files I need for work which I listen to in iTunes on my Mac which I don't want cluttering up my Squeezebox menu when I want to listen to music. It seems to be much easier to exclude them from SBS by using iTunes integration and leaving them unchecked than to try and figure out some alternative folder structure that would satisfy both iTunes and SBS.

Many thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by yorkio View Post
    I haven't set 'Steve Earle' and 'Del McCoury' as artists – the artist/TPE1 tag is simply 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band'; the album artist/TPE2 is 'Steve Earle'. If I'm understanding you correctly though, then it sounds very much like I actually can't do what I want to do – the album will always be listed under 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band'. If I put 'Steve Earle' as the album artist/TPE2, then it will be listed under that as well as, but not instead of, whatever I have in TPE1. Have I got that right?
    Define what you mean by the following phrase:

"the album will always be listed under"

If you browse _albums_ and you have enabled 'Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist' then you should see the album listed under 'Steve Earle'. In this case the ALBUMARTIST/TPE2 should take precedence over ARTIST/TPE1.

If you browse _artists_ and you have enabled 'Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist' then you should see both 'Steve Earle' and 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band' in your list of artists. Squeezebox Server always lists both ALBUMARTISTs and ARTISTs from non-compilations.

One trick you can try is to mark the album as a compilation. Then the ARTIST will probably be suppressed from the artist list. This shouldn't have any other side effects in Squeezebox Server, but I'm not sure what it means to iTunes.

Define what you mean by the following phrase:

"the album will always be listed under"

If you browse _artists_ and you have enabled 'Treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist' then you should see both 'Steve Earle' and 'Steve Earle and The Del McCoury Band' in your list of artists. Squeezebox Server always lists both ALBUMARTISTs and ARTISTs from non-compilations.
    Sorry, I'm talking about browsing by artist. However, you've confirmed that I can't actually do what I was hoping to. Oh, well, it's kind of silly expecting one piece of software to work like another you happen to be more familiar with, I suppose, but still, I was really hoping it would work like iTunes, where the album artist field is a handy way of rounding up all your, say, Elvis Costello albums into one menu item, instead of having to scroll down through Elvis Costello, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, Elvis Costello and the Imposters, The Costello Show plus sundry collaborative albums.

One trick you can try is to mark the album as a compilation. Then the ARTIST will probably be suppressed from the artist list. This shouldn't have any other side effects in Squeezebox Server, but I'm not sure what it means to iTunes.
    Thanks, I'll have a look at that.

You don't have to browse all of that to find the album. It _will_ be listed under 'Elvis Costello' as long as 'Elvis Costello' is either in the ALBUMARTIST or the ARTIST tag. When browsing artists the album will be listed under both.

You don't have to browse all of that to find the album. It _will_ be listed under 'Elvis Costello' as long as 'Elvis Costello' is either in the ALBUMARTIST or the ARTIST tag. When browsing artists the album will be listed under both.
    True enough. It was just that great vertical sprawl I was hoping to avoid when I thought I'd tidied them up into one album artist.

Luckily, it doesn't seem to affect iTunes at all, so I guess I'm just going to have to start being a bit more creative in applying compilation tags all over the place.

MrSinatra
    just in general, i'd say its not silly at all to ask that a music server allow you to easily switch on the fly between artist and albumartist in order to browse your music. LMS is the ONLY music app of any importance i know of that does not allow this.

here are some links and bugs i hope you vote for:

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Artists_logic

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Compilations

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=15604

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9523