Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 98 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Hi folks.

Thx for the positive feedback first of all.

Good to see that you like what you hear.

Just a comment:

I havn't listened to a DAC which would be immune against incoming distortions caused by a PC or similar device. (I'm running a SABRE 32DAC btw. - which is supposed to be able to handle incoming jitter quite well. Forget that - not under the conditions I am and many others are driving that or other devices).
    SPDIF for sure plays a very important role in that game. SPDIF comes with known limitations. It is a very sensitive interface.
    USB comes with different problems. Even those supposedly great asynchronous-USB-supposed-to-be-immune-against-everything-DACs do need an Amarra, Pure Music, J.River or similar for sounding best. Even if operated in bit-transparent mode. Even Ayre has written their own SW-playback software for OSX!

A manufacturer who'd accomplish 100% immunity against distortions caused by a PC, will have a real good marketing message and selling argument. That's my guess.

John Swensson AFAIK tried to and did slave his Touch to a DAC master clock.
    Slaving the transport will be a better approach of course. Though I'm sure he'll face other challenges to keep PC induced distortions out of his setup.

Enjoy.
    ::: Touch Toolbox and more ::: by soundcheck

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by soundcheck View Post
    Hi folks.

Thx for the positive feedback first of all.

Good to see that you like what you hear.

Just a comment:

I havn't listened to a DAC which would be immune against incoming distortions caused by a PC or similar device. (I'm running a SABRE 32DAC btw. - which is supposed to be able to handle incoming jitter quite well. Forget that - not under the conditions I am and many others are driving that or other devices).
    SPDIF for sure plays a very important role in that game. SPDIF comes with known limitations. It is a very sensitive interface.
    USB comes with different problems. Even those supposedly great asynchronous-USB-supposed-to-be-immune-against-everything-DACs do need an Amarra, Pure Music, J.River or similar for sounding best. Even if operated in bit-transparent mode. Even Ayre has written their own SW-playback software for OSX!

A manufacturer who'd accomplish 100% immunity against distortions caused by a PC, will have a real good marketing message and selling argument. That's my guess.

Slaving the transport will be a better approach of course. Though I'm sure he'll face other challenges to keep PC induced distortions out of his setup.

Enjoy.
    Except of course that in a normal Squeezebox setup (wi-fi or ethernet), there is no electrical connectivity between the PC and the DAC... so what is happening electrically on the PC makes no difference at all, since all that is flowing to to the sb is IP Packets, which have no timing/jitter, noise or distortion issues!

:-)

By the way have you ever tried a Benchmark or Lavry DAC? - I'm curious.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Except of course that in a normal Squeezebox setup (wi-fi or ethernet), there is no electrical connectivity between the PC and the DAC... so what is happening electrically on the PC makes no difference at all, since all that is flowing to to the sb is IP Packets, which have no timing/jitter, noise or distortion issues!

:-)

By the way have you ever tried a Benchmark or Lavry DAC? - I'm curious.
    I'm talking about the Touch having the same problems like a normal PC.

Pretty much all problems I figured out on my Linux PC journey do apply for the Touch.

I'm talking about the Touch having the same problems like a normal PC.

Pretty much all problems I figured out on my Linux PC journey do apply for the Touch.
    ah - OK.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

hi soundcheck,
    i posted earlier on other thread before you switched it over here.i done mods,all ok then updated touch sotfware.reinstalled mods but the buffer mod would not take.it kept reverting back to 20000 after rebooting.
    you suggested a factory reset for touch,then reinstall the mods from the starting point.
    that has sorted it,buffer mod now in place and all ok.i only need to to the wlan mod now or maybe not.i will keep looking to see your findings after the testing you are doing.thanks again.kind regards scott

Quote Originally Posted by scooot View Post
    hi soundcheck,
    i posted earlier on other thread before you switched it over here.i done mods,all ok then updated touch sotfware.reinstalled mods but the buffer mod would not take.it kept reverting back to 20000 after rebooting.
    you suggested a factory reset for touch,then reinstall the mods from the starting point.
    that has sorted it,buffer mod now in place and all ok.i only need to to the wlan mod now or maybe not.i will keep looking to see your findings after the testing you are doing.thanks again.kind regards scott
    Good to see that you managed! Now enjoy.

I just digged out a new mod. Folks. You wouldn't believe it.

Sometimes it really surprises me what's being left on the
    street by those SW designers.

However. It really shows how well the HW is done.

@Flextreme and all others running 2.0:

If you guys think that was it, you'd be finished with 2.0.

Buckle up.

So Cool! :-)

Looking forward to it.

Have to work late: looking forward to go home to enjoy your mod. Thanks!

Just spent a couple of hours listening to the touch with these mods. Staggered how good my hifi now sounds! Detail, seperation, dynamics, PRAT etc have all got a turbo boost. Listening through a Lavry dac and naim amps so revealing kit too.

Maybe something wasn't quite right before and this has corrected it - I don't know but either way Soundcheck - I can only doff my cap. You sir, are a genius!!!

Nb - Why not approach logitech to turn it into an Official plugin ?

Hi folks.

Enjoy.
    I HAVE figured out how to do it, what is going on with the Touch makes no difference to sound. You are right that it entails running the DAC clock into the Touch and taking the I2S data from the Touch. I use an LVDS interface on a shielded differential flat cable. The Touch sits in its own metal enclosure and the most important part, it has a completely separate power supply. The only connection between the DAC and the Touch is the LVDS interface. As long as there is ONLY one ground connection it doesn't actually have to be galvanically isolated.

Of course it takes multiple power supplies on the DAC part as well as careful ground control so each part of the system only has ONE ground connection to the others. If done properly this guarantees that no noise from the digital section can get into the analog section, either directly or as jitter.

Its not simple or dirt cheap, but its well defined engineering not voodoo science. Because of the multiple power supplies and separate shielded sub-enclosures you can't so this in a tiny box, it takes a good sized box. That also means its not dirt cheap either. It doesn't have to be horrendously expensive either, it should be possible to do a VERY good implementation for $2-3K. There is nothing in this approach which REQUIRES extremely expensive components (for example in the one I've built the most expensive part is $30 , the DAC chips themselves). There ARE a lot of parts but none are particularly expensive.

Done right all these software tweaks really are unnecessary to achieve the best sound. That still doesn't make TinySBS work super fast, but its not degrading the sound as long as you can get it to work at all.

John S.