Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Zyxel NSA 210 newly installed - A Useful guide?

I recently, as a gamble bought the cheap Zyxel NSA 210. The hesitation was around the mixed reviews around the speed of it. As there are very few guides around setting this up I have spend many many hours fiddling with all the setting etc to come up with what I have found to be the most efficient configuration for running Squeeze center ;

Out of the box the NAS came with V3.21(AFD.0) firmware installed, my first mistake was to install the new v4.10AFDC0. This new interface as well as having some spelling mistake fixed consumes more memory which is unnecessary for using the NSA just as a Squeeze server. The main enhancements are that there is a new flash web page called Playzone which helps share Photos Music and Videos via the in build Media server. The in build media server and shares are not necessary for Squeeze server to run; you can only disable this server in version 3.

Media server is running by default on the NAS and checks the \music \video and \photo directories for uploaded files and compiles a database for displaying and viewing through Playzone for example. The problem is if you are uploading lots of music and artwork into the \music folder when initially setting up the server the media server is trying to catalogue it on the fly which on a 5000+ collection will max out the CPU. Forget about compounding the problem by scanning for music inside Squeezecenter, it will take hours.

The best thing to do is

V4

Under media server, disable the \music \photo \video shares and hence the scanning to populate its database will not happen

V3

Disable the media server which will effectively do the same but will also save memory.

Also do the following

Disable the Broadcasting application, web publishing and download service and any uploading to flicr etc.

In summary;

If you want a simple NAS instead of running a PC for Squeeze server and use the NAS as a simple network drive using \\name\Music etc to store data then I don't think you can go wrong. If you want it to do more than 1 task i.e. display and view photos/videos/music via the Playzone app or as some of the other apps available then you will be disappointed. As a pure Squeezecenter it works well.

Some other practical stats that might be useful

it consumes 7w when on and the HDD not spinning (at present I only have a 80gb SATA drive) and 11 w when the hdd is running, I have it set to spin down after 3 mins which causes about 5 sec delay to spin up

Squeezecenter scanning

Rescan of 420 albums and 5000 tracks takes about 24 mins

Last thing, make sure that when you are ripping tracks that you are ripping them to a compatible format, I started in windows media player with WMA lossless and had to convert to FLAC

Hope this helps someone

Hey Matw99--

Thank you for posting this guide. If you're still out there monitoring this thread, I'm wondering how your experience with the NAS 210 is going? I'm thinking about getting one to use with my SBT, but like you I'm concerned by all the negative comments I've seen, particularly about how slow it is.

Cheers.

NSA 210 Speed experienced + possible upgrade to 7.6.2

By accident i came across your reply,

I have the following loaded on mine ;

Total Tracks: 8,773
    Total Albums: 704
    Total Artists: 1,624
    Total Genres: 61
    Total Playing Time: 587:04:37

It's not the fastest NAS in the world however i have found that if you just use it as to simply select and play + build up a play list of tracks/albums/artists then it's fine. The speed degredation i found is when using the search function, however if you know the track/album /artists then just going through the My Music option and selecting it is easier and faster (by the time you've typed it in you would have found it).

Flicking through tracks is like flicking through tracks on a CD player. All my music is ripped as FLAC so i would have got frustrated by now. I have also used the NAS as a windows share to stream HD movies and it works flawlessly.

It might be worth noting that i have all my equipment running wired ethernet.

I keep the plugins to a minimum and only really have last.fm enabled which also works flawlessly.

I do use internet radio and have them setup with links in my favourites and have not had any issues with this.

In summary a cheap NAS that has not disappointed.

The reason for doing some trawling is to try and see if i can manually update it to 7.6.2, if anyone reads this and can help please reply

Hope this helps

Squeezebox server new version

For those who don't look at the package manager on their NSA210 there is an update for Squeezebox to 7.5zypkg004.

There is also update for the firmware to 4.23 although i haven't tried this yet as 4.20 slowed down the NAS too much.

Here is the release notes

Modification in V4.23(AFD.0)C0| 10/17/2011
    [Enhancement/ Change]

 Upgrade online help for V4.23Series

 Add sata auto share per volume: For admin SAMBA easy access, one share for whole volume

 Add option for user to disable media server (prevent from being browsed by UPNP devices)

 Add option for user to disable generate thumbnail to speed up building media server database.

 Limit FTP file numbers up to 200,000

nsa221

I have the eldest brother, the zyxel nsa221 and the software is same, even firmware is same, the only difference is nsa221 have one more bay.
    Well what can i say, is a good nas, but a little slow, I forgive that bcouse was cheap, only us$80, I have it with 2TB saegate hdd and im using that for stream by ethernet hd movies too, with wd tv plus, work fine, not perfect but fine. Now i thinking buy a squeezebox to play my music, is bad that squeezebox doesnt have dlna but well.. nothing to do. To test Squeezes first i got the softsqueeze (squeezebox emulator) and connect this to nsa with squeezecenter running after scan allll music, and i have some problems:

- First the squeezecenter is toooo slow.
    - in the nsa, squeezecenter bring the cpu to 100% all time.
    - and the big problem is when i change any file inside the nsa221/music folder the squeezecenter crash and i have to restart all system

Maybe is bcos I have a lot lot of music (2249 albums with 13604 songs by 1939 artists) but im thinking will have much more.

all other services are stopped, including media server.

hopefully squeezecenter fix all problems.
    if anyone have any solution i'll be very grateful to read.
    cheers.

vasco.

Zyxel NAS NSA 310

I just got the Zyxel NSA 310 with one 2 TB disk. I installed Squeezebox on it.

In fact I'm pleasantly surprised with it. NAS seems quite satisfactory. SB is much faster as I expected. Reading my library (aprox. 750 albums, 13000 tracks) took not jet twice as long as on my 2.2 GHz XP machine (1.42 h vs, 1.06 h). [And now I can easily do a rescan at night.] 100% CPU usage doesn't seem to matter. Memory usage is only aprox. 50 %

One problem that is bothering me a lot is that a restart of SB after adding plugins doesn't work. I have to disable and enable SB through the Zyxel interface. [And wait several minutes after SB seems enabled, before I can open the SB interface.] A couple of times I even had to reinstall SB to get it under control because plugins kept wanting to restart SB.

I'm busy trying to get Triode's Spotify plugin (2.2.0 beta) working on it.

I'll try installing the new 4.22(AFK.1) (current: AFK.0) Zyxel firmware and the speedup suggestions of Matw99.

Maybe this helps someone.
    Last edited by RabanePaco; 2011-11-13 at 23:15.
    Squeezebox Server: Version: 7.7.1 on Zyxel NAS NSA310
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.7.0 with Custom Browse & Triodes Spotify
    on Win XP Pro SP.3. All updates.
    Squezebox Duet, Android controllers. 100 GB library, 800- Albums, 13,5 k tracks.

Music manager: MediaMonkey. The best music mgr for classical music (much better then iTunes). Now with "RegExp Find and Replace" you even can batch edit tags with regular expressions.

NSA 310 plugins / general info

I have just upgrade from the NSA-210 to the NSA-310 and the speed upgrade is quite dramatic. A rescan of my 9600 tracks takes about 5 mins, rather than 20 mins.

Have you got any of your plugins to work? I was going to do a write up on installing them as you have to telnet onto the NAS then copy the plugin files to the plugin directory before selecting them to be installed through the web front end as they are not downloaded and installed otherwise. So far i have only installed the Powersave plug which powers down my receivers if not used for x mins.

As for your problems with restarting, i've had that issue after selecting a plugin in the past, i normally reboot rather than do a disable/enable however it's the same outcome.

Have you upgraded your receivers / players firmware version, you can do this by telneting and copying the latest versions into the Firmware directory on the squeezebox. My receivers all run version 77 however this seems to be only available on newer versions of squeezecenter. I have also upgraded the duet controllers.

When i get round to it i will write this up.

In summary the NSA 310 i've found to be much quicker than the NSA-210 in scanning and searching and doesn't seem to suffer the max'ed CPU problems, not a bad upgrade for ú66 delivered.

Matw99

Quote Originally Posted by Matw99 View Post
    Have you got any of your plugins to work? [...] copy the plugin files to the plugin directory before selecting them to be installed through the web front end as they are not downloaded and installed otherwise.
    This was the kind of information I was looking for. It's kind of late; I'll try it tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matw99 View Post
    Have you upgraded your receivers / players firmware version, you can do this by telneting and copying the latest versions into the Firmware directory on the squeezebox. I have also upgraded the duet controllers.
    Whenever I switch Squeezebox Server Version: 7.5.1 to Media Server Version 7.7.0 or v.v. the firmware of Squeezebox and/or the controller gets automatically up- or downgraded. Rather a p.i.a. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanks for your info. I'll keep write up my progress.
    Squezebox Duet, Android controllers. 100 GB library, 800- Albums, 13,5 k tracks.

Music manager: MediaMonkey. The best music mgr for classical music (much better then iTunes). Now with "RegExp Find and Replace" you even can batch edit tags with regular expressions.

NSA-310 constant scanning + how to install plugins

I have almost completed the document detailing how you can disable the media server share publish which stop a very large amount of scanning caused by the in-built scanner. I have started also the details about how to update the firmware version for automatic updating when a device connects to the NSA-310. I've also got a bit about where to put the plug-ins on the device. Hopefully should be ready in the next few days.

The above tasks are actually quite simple to do, working them out was the hard bit. I'm started new thread for the NSA-310, so i have a look in there soon.

Matw99
    2 Squeezebox Duets
    3 squeezebox radio

Did you try to install a newer version of the SB server on the NSA-310?