Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ehjones
    • Apr 2006

The Squeezebox is dead... long live the Squeezebox

So after 5 years, several house moves and general abuse my Classic has died (endless rebooting cycle which my troubleshooting-fu has failed to solve).

Am I crazy for buying another Classic instead of a Touch?!

I gather the sound quality from the Touch is better (I've got a touch of tinnitus and ageing ears anyway!). Not fussed about the touch screen. A colour screen would look a bit weird right next to the television, whilst I love the VFD display and general form factor of the Classic. Of course, a warranty on the 'new' Classic is out the question so it's fingers crossed on this point.

I'm not meaning to start a tedious Classic vs Touch thread - I can see the Touch is a 'better' product (although not quite a like-for-like replacement in my view)... I just felt a bit sad when I found out the Classic wasn't officially for sale anymore (no, I don't manage to visit these forums regularly enough otherwise I'd have known this ages ago - but the Classic generally worked too well to need to!).

It's not a coincidence I also drive a 10 year old car
  • garym
    • May 2008

Originally posted by ehjones
    So after 5 years, several house moves and general abuse my Classic has died (endless rebooting cycle which my troubleshooting-fu has failed to solve).

I gather the sound quality from the Touch is better (I've got a touch of tinnitus and ageing ears anyway!). Not fussed about the touch screen. A colour screen would look a bit weird right next to the television, whilst I love the VFD display and general form factor of the Classic. Of course, a warranty on the 'new' Classic is out the question so it's fingers crossed on this point.

I'm not meaning to start a tedious Classic vs Touch thread - I can see the Touch is a 'better' product (although not quite a like-for-like replacement in my view)... I just felt a bit sad when I found out the Classic wasn't officially for sale anymore (no, I don't manage to visit these forums regularly enough otherwise I'd have known this ages ago - but the Classic generally worked too well to need to!).

nothing wrong with the classic as replacement (if you can find one).
    Home: Pi4B-8GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Transporter, Touch, Boom, Radio (all ethernet)
    Cottage: rPi4B-4GB/pCP8.2.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.5.x>Touch>Benchmark DAC I, Boom, Radio w/Battery (Radio WIFI)
    Office: Win11(64)>foobar2000
    The Wild: rPi3B+/pCP7.x/4TB USB>LMS 8.1.x>hifiberry Dac+Pro (LMS & Squeezelite)
    Controllers: Material Skin, iPhone14Pro & iPadAir5 (iPeng), or CONTROLLER
    Files: Ripping: dBpoweramp > FLAC; Post-rip: mp3tag, PerfectTunes, TuneFusion; Streaming: Spotify

Comment

• eeagle
      • Dec 2009

Well yes the Touch is better, but you're in luck if you still like the Classic look as it is still available from several sources including Amazon.

I drive a 10yr old car too, but plan to buy a Touch next time one is on sale.....I love the squeezebox whole line up, but would prefer the higher bit rate capability for my "old" but high end home stereo

Comment

• EricBergan
        • Mar 2006

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Touch because it turned out to only be a little more than getting a Classic.

I use coax digital out, so can't say I really notice an audio difference (and I'm usually fairly discriminating on audio.) Also, my SB is in a closed audio cabinet, so the color display/touch screen is really a non-issue for me.

Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice. Because I went with the Touch, had to upgrade the version of my server, and I lost direct IR remote control of favorites. So I've actually taken a step backwards in user friendliness. There are a couple of other areas where I think the settings on the Touch has been "dumbed down" from the classic, although none as serious.

eric

Comment

• ehjones
          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by EricBergan
          Ended up going with the Touch.... Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice.
          At least you have a warranty

Comment

• usch
            • Oct 2009

No. I would even rather buy another SB2 than a Classic.
            Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off. (Heuer's Law, 1990)

Comment

• pgnyc
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by EricBergan
              I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Touch because it turned out to only be a little more than getting a Classic.

I use coax digital out, so can't say I really notice an audio difference (and I'm usually fairly discriminating on audio.) Also, my SB is in a closed audio cabinet, so the color display/touch screen is really a non-issue for me.

Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice. Because I went with the Touch, had to upgrade the version of my server, and I lost direct IR remote control of favorites. So I've actually taken a step backwards in user friendliness. There are a couple of other areas where I think the settings on the Touch has been "dumbed down" from the classic, although none as serious.

eric
              Hi,

i bought a new classic a month ago (amazon) to have a spare in case.
              anyway , i bought an amplifier and speakers , so i have a system in the basement.

my main classic ( slimdevice) is also behind glasses , in ethernet bridge mode for a wd tv live plus. ( so the classic 'share' is wireless mode ).

if i changed for the touch, i would have to
              change the server version
              lose the bridge mode

i also have a boom

Comment

• EricBergan
                • Mar 2006

At least you have a warranty
                True, although the SB that died was actually a Slim Devices SB3, and the other one is still running, so I'm comfortable with the longevity for a CE product. In fact, it was probably one of the oldest things in the audio cabinet :-)

eric

Comment

• snarlydwarf
                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by usch
                  No. I would even rather buy another SB2 than a Classic.
                  I like the $10 alarm clock look still... Especially in the bedroom where my SB2 replaced a $10 alarm clock...

Comment

• iPhone
                    • Oct 2007

Touch

Let me ask you this: When you need to replace your 10 year old car, are you going to get another 10 year old car and start having the same problems or are you going to buy a car with not so many miles and years on it IE new one or slightly used one? If you answered yes, BUY THE TOUCH!
                    iPhone
                    Media Room:
                    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
                    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
                    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
                    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
                    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
                    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
                    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
                    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Comment

• ehjones
                      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by iPhone
                      Let me ask you this: When you need to replace your 10 year old car, are you going to get another 10 year old car and start having the same problems or are you going to buy a car with not so many miles and years on it IE new one or slightly used one?
                      Nice point But I've done the equivalent of running a 10 year old car into the ground and replaced it with the same age of car that's hardly been run in (and saved a bit of money too...)

Tongue-in-cheek somewhat, but I'm not often convinced that new=better when it comes to consumer electronics these days - so many corners seem to get cut bringing a product to market at the right price. Afterall, it happened with the SB3 when it came out (many people had their fair share of problems initially), but with a solid hardware platform, upgradable firmware, open source software development and a small responsible company looking after it all meant that, for me, the SB3 is perfect (just no warranty).
                      Last edited by ehjones; 2010-12-09, 21:56.

Comment

• usch
                        • Oct 2009

Afterall, it happened with the SB3 when it came out (many people had their fair share of problems initially), but with a solid hardware platform, upgradable firmware, open source software development and a small responsible company looking after it all meant that, for me, the SB3 is perfect (just no warranty).
                        Fortunately most of the new code is still open source. I hope that in a few years time there will be as many great plugins/applets for the Touch as there are now for the Classic, so that it eventually becomes usable.
                        Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off. (Heuer's Law, 1990)

Comment

• bigblackdog
                          • Apr 2010

Go the touch

Comment

• erland
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by usch
                            Fortunately most of the new code is still open source. I hope that in a few years time there will be as many great plugins/applets for the Touch as there are now for the Classic, so that it eventually becomes usable.
                            What are you missing ?
                            Erland Lindmark (My homepage)
                            Developer of many plugins/applets
                            Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Comment

• EricBergan
                              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by erland
                              What are you missing ?
                              Server issue rather than Touch, but the biggest one for me is ability to press a button on the IR remote and start a playlist. Lost that a few server versions ago, apparently.

Further down, set a static IP address, more control of the clock appearance, compare SB3 basic settings to Touch basic settings...

Comment

Working...