Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wink The Squeezebox is dead... long live the Squeezebox

So after 5 years, several house moves and general abuse my Classic has died (endless rebooting cycle which my troubleshooting-fu has failed to solve).

Am I crazy for buying another Classic instead of a Touch?!

I gather the sound quality from the Touch is better (I've got a touch of tinnitus and ageing ears anyway!). Not fussed about the touch screen. A colour screen would look a bit weird right next to the television, whilst I love the VFD display and general form factor of the Classic. Of course, a warranty on the 'new' Classic is out the question so it's fingers crossed on this point.

I'm not meaning to start a tedious Classic vs Touch thread - I can see the Touch is a 'better' product (although not quite a like-for-like replacement in my view)... I just felt a bit sad when I found out the Classic wasn't officially for sale anymore (no, I don't manage to visit these forums regularly enough otherwise I'd have known this ages ago - but the Classic generally worked too well to need to!).

It's not a coincidence I also drive a 10 year old car

Quote Originally Posted by ehjones View Post
    So after 5 years, several house moves and general abuse my Classic has died (endless rebooting cycle which my troubleshooting-fu has failed to solve).

I gather the sound quality from the Touch is better (I've got a touch of tinnitus and ageing ears anyway!). Not fussed about the touch screen. A colour screen would look a bit weird right next to the television, whilst I love the VFD display and general form factor of the Classic. Of course, a warranty on the 'new' Classic is out the question so it's fingers crossed on this point.

I'm not meaning to start a tedious Classic vs Touch thread - I can see the Touch is a 'better' product (although not quite a like-for-like replacement in my view)... I just felt a bit sad when I found out the Classic wasn't officially for sale anymore (no, I don't manage to visit these forums regularly enough otherwise I'd have known this ages ago - but the Classic generally worked too well to need to!).

nothing wrong with the classic as replacement (if you can find one).

Well yes the Touch is better, but you're in luck if you still like the Classic look as it is still available from several sources including Amazon.

I drive a 10yr old car too, but plan to buy a Touch next time one is on sale.....I love the squeezebox whole line up, but would prefer the higher bit rate capability for my "old" but high end home stereo

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Touch because it turned out to only be a little more than getting a Classic.

I use coax digital out, so can't say I really notice an audio difference (and I'm usually fairly discriminating on audio.) Also, my SB is in a closed audio cabinet, so the color display/touch screen is really a non-issue for me.

Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice. Because I went with the Touch, had to upgrade the version of my server, and I lost direct IR remote control of favorites. So I've actually taken a step backwards in user friendliness. There are a couple of other areas where I think the settings on the Touch has been "dumbed down" from the classic, although none as serious.

eric

Quote Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post
    Ended up going with the Touch.... Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice.
    At least you have a warranty

No. I would even rather buy another SB2 than a Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by EricBergan View Post
    I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. Ended up going with the Touch because it turned out to only be a little more than getting a Classic.

I use coax digital out, so can't say I really notice an audio difference (and I'm usually fairly discriminating on audio.) Also, my SB is in a closed audio cabinet, so the color display/touch screen is really a non-issue for me.

Now, I'm not sure I made the right choice. Because I went with the Touch, had to upgrade the version of my server, and I lost direct IR remote control of favorites. So I've actually taken a step backwards in user friendliness. There are a couple of other areas where I think the settings on the Touch has been "dumbed down" from the classic, although none as serious.

eric
    Hi,

i bought a new classic a month ago (amazon) to have a spare in case.
    anyway , i bought an amplifier and speakers , so i have a system in the basement.

my main classic ( slimdevice) is also behind glasses , in ethernet bridge mode for a wd tv live plus. ( so the classic 'share' is wireless mode ).

if i changed for the touch, i would have to
    change the server version
    lose the bridge mode

i also have a boom

At least you have a warranty
    True, although the SB that died was actually a Slim Devices SB3, and the other one is still running, so I'm comfortable with the longevity for a CE product. In fact, it was probably one of the oldest things in the audio cabinet :-)

eric

Quote Originally Posted by usch View Post
    No. I would even rather buy another SB2 than a Classic.
    I like the $10 alarm clock look still... Especially in the bedroom where my SB2 replaced a $10 alarm clock...

Thumbs up Touch

Let me ask you this: When you need to replace your 10 year old car, are you going to get another 10 year old car and start having the same problems or are you going to buy a car with not so many miles and years on it IE new one or slightly used one? If you answered yes, BUY THE TOUCH!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive