Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 391 of 403 FirstFirst ... 291341381389390391392393401 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,910 of 4023
    Quote Originally Posted by w3wilkes View Post
    Back when I was a kid I can recall my parents having some 78 RPM record "albums" packaged in a book fashion with multiple records in individual sleeves. Seems like the records were smaller than a 12 inch record, but larger than a 45. The spindle hole was the same as a 33 1/3 record.
    My mother had such albums. I recall they were quite fragile, not like the somewhat flexible 331/3s
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1491339164 @ Wed Apr 5 04:19:41 UTC 2017
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8 Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

Seems like the records were smaller than a 12 inch record, but larger than a 45. The spindle hole was the same as a 33 1/3 record.
    Those were 10" records and I think they ran at 33 1/3. Also known as "extended play" (EP).

Actually, looks like there were several variations:
    Extended Play
    Last edited by Apesbrain; 2017-03-06 at 20:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Those were 10" records and I think they ran at 33 1/3. Also known as "extended play" (EP).
    What I'm talking about is the thick fragile hard wax 78 RPM "albums" with about 4 disks in the "Album". My folks had some big band stuff WWII era and also some classical stuff in these "albums". The only 33 1/3 EP I have came in my vinyl Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (1979 paint splatter cover) album. For the longest time that was my only copy of his songs "Allison" and "Watching the Detectives" which are great tunes.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

What I'm talking about is the thick fragile hard wax 78 RPM "albums" with about 4 disks in the "Album". My folks had some big band stuff WWII era and also some classical stuff in these "albums". The only 33 1/3 EP I have came in my vinyl Elvis Costello - Armed Forces (1979 paint splatter cover) album. For the longest time that was my only copy of his songs "Allison" and "Watching the Detectives" which are great tunes.
    78s or Shellacs as some call them were released in various sizes. 12inch & 10inch being the most common. What was originally described sounds like an album of 10inch 78s.

I have 12, 10 & 7 inch records that play at 33.3 and 12 & 7 inch records that are 45s.
    The 10 inch 33.3 is a 1975 RSO sampler album called "RSO Prime Cuts"
    I think I have that Elvis Costello extra as well.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by d6jg View Post
    78s or Shellacs as some call them were released in various sizes. 12inch & 10inch being the most common. What was originally described sounds like an album of 10inch 78s.
    Cool site with more information:
    Museum Of Obsolete Media - 10-inch 78 rpm record (1901 – 1960)

Other interesting things there as well; "VinylDisc" anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Cool site with more information:
    Museum Of Obsolete Media - 10-inch 78 rpm record (1901 – 1960)

Other interesting things there as well; "VinylDisc" anyone?
    Very interesting.

"By about 1910 bound collections of empty sleeves similar to a photograph album, were sold as ‘record albums’ that customers could use to store their records. Starting in the 1930s, record companies began issuing collections of 78 rpm records by one performer or of one type of music in specially assembled albums, typically with artwork on the front cover and liner notes on the back or inside cover."
    Hence the term "album" it seems.
    Vortexbox LMS 7.9 music on QNAP TS419p via NFS iThingys/iPeng/Tablets
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 - > Celestion Ditton F20s - Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser RS 130 & B&W P7
    Office - RPi -> Sony TA FE320 -> Celestion F10s / SB3 -> Onkyo CRN 755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> AKG Headphones Bedroom (TV) - Amazon Fire TV (SB Player) -> Topping TP20 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

I have several of those 78 RPM albums I salvaged from my parents after they died. They are very heavy relative to modern LPs. They are in boxes on a shelf somewhere. Tommy Dorsey is among them; I don't recall others.

I'd bet you'd find Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman in that mix.
    Main system - Rock Solid with LMS 7.9 on WHS 2011 - 2 Duets and Squeeseslave
    Portable system - Rock solid with LMS 7.9 on Win10 Pro - 1 Duet and Squeezeslave

Name:  The_Essential_Paul_Simon_album.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  27.7 KB

I've been reading the Paul Simon biography Homeward Bound (by Peter Ames Carlin), and found it quite good. Many of the reviews of the book focus on the negatives -- Simon is a good businessman as well as a very talented composer, bandleader and performer, and has been sharp in his business dealings, no doubt. And the relationship with Garfunkel was and remains troubled. But Simon is fairly treated for his accomplishments, as well as his failures (think Capeman).

In any event, reading about the creation and recording of many of those iconic tunes lead me to want a soundtrack to the reading, so I queued up various albums to play particular tracks while reading about the studio sessions, or the changes made to subsequent releases, etc. I hadn't known that Sound of Silence was originally a pure acoustic number, since the most famous released version veers into folk rock. Same vocal, new instruments added.

Worth a read, but get the soundtrack ready.
    LMS on a dedicated server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (Ethernet) - main listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Touch (WiFi) - home theater 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (WiFi) - work-space
    Boom 2 (WiFi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (WiFi) - home office
    Control - Squeeze Control (Android mobile), 2 Controllers (seldom used), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 4)
    Touch x 1 - spare
    UE Radio x 1 - spare
    Boom x 1 - spare
    Controller x 1 - Spare
    Duet Receiver (backup)

Name:  lyle2000-07-16back.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  164.7 KB