Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 408 of 423 FirstFirst ... 308358398406407408409410418 ... LastLast
Results 4,071 to 4,080 of 4228
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Pattison View Post
    Why do I have a sudden image of Mulder and Scully, undercover, on stage, covering a Civil Wars song?

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    Attachment 22836

Yesterday, day before and today, of course. Why listen to anything else on the 50th?

It does lead to some interesting introspection. When the album came out, my father was the same age as the album is now, more or less.

Think about it. . .

In 1967, the music from 1918 (when my father was born) was less distant than is Sergeant Pepper now.

Feeling old yet?

R.
    Yes Ron I'm feeling old, however you make an interesting point, the same one that I often reflect on. For example in the gym I go they stream music from from a commercial free Classic Rock station. Must of the music is from the ten years between 1965 and 1975. To the younger members of the gym whom I am friends with I refer to the music as "Dad Radio" since all the music being played is what their dads (you know, guys my age) grew up listening to. I also tell them my "Dad Radio" would be mostly swing jazz (Count Basic, Benny Goodman, Fats Waller, etc.) since that is the music MY father grew up listening to.

And you are quite right: in 1980, when I was 25 years old, swing jazz was less than 50 years old whereas the most of the classic rock being played in the gym (and at many public events like sporting events) is at or almost 50 years old. In 1980 one would have never heard any once very popular swing jazz being played at a public event.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    Yes Ron I'm feeling old, however you make an interesting point, the same one that I often reflect on. For example in the gym I go they stream music from from a commercial free Classic Rock station. Must of the music is from the ten years between 1965 and 1975. To the younger members of the gym whom I am friends with I refer to the music as "Dad Radio" since all the music being played is what their dads (you know, guys my age) grew up listening to. I also tell them my "Dad Radio" would be mostly swing jazz (Count Basic, Benny Goodman, Fats Waller, etc.) since that is the music MY father grew up listening to.

And you are quite right: in 1980, when I was 25 years old, swing jazz was less than 50 years old whereas the most of the classic rock being played in the gym (and at many public events like sporting events) is at or almost 50 years old. In 1980 one would have never heard any once very popular swing jazz being played at a public event.
    Both my Son and Daughter went through the what I call "rebellious stage" with the Rap/Hip-hop with the overly loud muddy bass and non-stop profanity. They both now look for what they call the "Oldies" stations to listen to 80's and 90's music with my son bringing in the 70's and some of the bigger Rock hits from the late 60's. I feel bad for them because I hear songs on Sirius that take me back to specific memories of an event, moment, or the exact thing I was doing when I hear those songs from the 60's or 70's (which is the Oldies Station for me). The reason I feel bad for them is because I just can't see there being a "Rap Oldies" station in 15 or 20 years which would trigger memories of their teen and early 20's years! Maybe it's just me as music has always been a big part of my life. I wake up to music, shower and brush my teeth to music, did all my school studying to music (was a great memory recall aid during tests for me), music is on in the car, out by the pool, screening in the deck pissing the neighbors off, IE when ever possible.

Don't get me started on what is being called Music today, Taylor Swift saying the same three words over and over again to programmed electronic loop is not my idea of music no matter how flashy the video is. My parents listened to Jazz, Swing, and Country along with the big singers of the day, Sinatra, Como, Boone, Bennett, Crosby, Arnold, etc along with what I call some mainstream Classical.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

My newest addition.
    I have had the the two discs on repeat for the last three days while I work around the house.
    Really good.
    Name:  folder.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  25.3 KB
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 @ Sun Aug 20 04:39:12 UTC 2017
    Platform: i686-linux
    Perl Version: 5.24.1 - i686-linux-gnu-thread-multi-64int
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)
    Total Players Recognized: 4

Squeezebox3:
    Firmware: 137

Duet: (2 receivers, 1 controller)
    Firmware: 77

Boom
    Firmware: 57
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Bauhaus - In the Flat Field

Name:  cover.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  153.5 KB
    Home: Raspberry Pi 3/piCoreplayer/LMS7.9 with files on QNAP TS-239
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    PiCorePlayer(Pi2) with touchscreen and IQAudIO DAC+>Sennheisers
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3 (retired)
    Office: LMS7.9 running on WiFi MyPassport drive > piCorePlayer(PiB)/HiFiBerryDAC > Amptastic Amplifier
    SqueezePad, iPeng as controllers

last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Quote Originally Posted by teeitup View Post
    My newest addition.
    I have had the the two discs on repeat for the last three days while I work around the house.
    Really good.
    Name:  folder.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  25.3 KB
    Listened to a few tracks on Amazon and immediately ordered the CDs. Nice Live recording. Thanks for posting this.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Time to go into the Home Theater Room! Maybe a Star Wars - Raiders of the Lost Ark movie marathon weekend (of course that might be too much Harrison Ford for anybody to take)!

Star Tracks
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    iPhone
    Media Room:

Living Room:

Still working my way through Various Artists - The History Of Classical Music In 24 Hours

Name:  Folder.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  35.6 KB

Current disc/track: Disc 19, track 9, Maurice Ravel: BolÚro, Ballet For Orchestra

NOW PLAYING

9. Shelter From the Rain from Sonic Origami by Uriah Heep in 1998
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.1 - 1499358182 @ Thu Jul 6 16:34:03 UTC 2017

Server HTTP Port Number: 9000
    Operating system: Debian - EN - utf8
    Platform Architecture: x86_64-linux
    Perl Version: 5.22.1 - x86_64-linux-gnu-thread-multi
    Audio::Scan: 0.95
    Database Version: DBD::SQLite 1.34_01 (sqlite 3.7.7.1)

One SB Touch connected by Ethernet - Denon AVR -1912 Receiver, Paradigm 4.1 speakers
    Two SB Radios wireless

(Finally got through the 24 Hours of Classical music. Very good.)

Jazz At Lincoln Center Orchestra With Wynton Marsalis - Live In Cuba

Name:  Folder.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  68.6 KB