Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 174 of 174 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174
Results 1,731 to 1,737 of 1737
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416693606.613485.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  184.0 KB

Ferry is an enigma. This is a return to the late 80s. It could have been a follow up to Boys & Girls! Heavily produced sound very akin to those 80s classics. It is nowhere near as good mind but still very listenable.
    Features a host of highly acclaimed guest musicians - Johnny Marr, Nile Rodgers etc
    QNAP TS419p 4Tb LMS7.7.2
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 connected Digitally - > Celestion Ditton F20s - and connected Analogue for Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser HDR 130
    Office - SB3 -> Sony TA FE320 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom - SB Touch -> Topping TP21 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes

And now
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416694921.554751.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  205.8 KB
    This is a VERY tasty early jazz funk album from 1973.
    QNAP TS419p 4Tb LMS7.7.2
    Living Room - SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 connected Digitally - > Celestion Ditton F20s - and connected Analogue for Zone 2 -> Sony TA FE 320 -> Sennheiser HDR 130
    Dining Room -> SB Boom

Uprising by Muse on The Resistance
    2 Duets controllers, 1 X Boom, 1 X Radio
    1 X Receiver + Audioengine A5
    1 X Receiver + Yamaha RX-A2000, Polk M70
    1 X Receiver + Boston MicroSystem CD
    Nexus 7 w/ Logitech Squeezebox App
    ReadyNAS 516 LMS 7.8.0,

Name:  Dillon LSO Yirga Society of Sound.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  114.1 KB

I've been listening to three albums in particular this afternoon, while cooking and reading. The three are connected, although very different from each other. All of them were downloads obtained through the Bowers and Wilkins "Society of Sound" program. You pay a subscription fee of around $50 and get a year of downloads. There are some 35 recordings currently available for download, about half classical and half a variety of other styles. Two new downloads become available every month. Most are available in 16/44 and 24/96, with Apple lossless an option (along with flac). A few are multi-channel. There are in addition quite a number of titles that you have to pay extra for. Most are releases a year or more old, aside from the classical titles with new listings very current.

The recording and mastering quality of the titles I've downloaded is remarkably good, clearly someone is paying close attention to quality before obtaining the rights. All of the titles here are available as conventional releases from Amazon and the like. I've read some suggestions that material is sometimes re-mastered for the SoS releases, but I couldn't swear to that.

I think that the Society of Sound deal is a very good one -- check it out at https://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Downloads/downloads.html.

Cara Dillon is an Irish singer in the folk tradition, and her "Thousand Hearts" is a lovely recording -- she has a beautiful voice, and the arrangements here are outstanding. Husband Sam Lakeman is on acoustic guitar, and there is a broad array of both traditional and odder instruments played by experts. It adds up to a wonderful whole, and the sound is truly outstanding.

The London Symphony's treatment of Berlioz' "Symphonie fantastique" (Gergiev is the conductor) is also really nice, a fairly traditional reading of the score performed with great virtuosity. Again, the recording and mastering quality is outstanding -- no loudness warfare here, the dynamic range is extremely broad. The recording starts quietly, and I upped the volume to hear it, only to be deafened as the full orchestra got into crescendo mode.

The real treat for me in this set was discovering Samuel Yirga and his first full album "Guzo". He's a young Ethopian guy, touring extensively but still grounded in Ethiopia. He's a very talented jazz pianist with excellent chops reminiscent of a young Keith Jarrett. He's also often compared to Herbie Hancock, and I think that those with a memory of Chick Corea's early days in fusion mode will also find some similarities, especially in the tracks with vocals. Yirga brings a very diverse set of arrangements to this album, with fairly standard jazz keyboards meeting up with some African and Latin styles. There are several vocal tracks, also very diverse but uniformly excellent. Very strong accompaniment as well.
    LMS on a dedicated music server (FitPC3)
    Transporter (ethernet) - main music listening, Onkyo receiver, Paradigm speakers
    Duet (wifi) - home theatre 5.1, Sony receiver, Energy speakers
    Boom 1 (wifi) - workspace
    Boom 2 (wifi) - various (deck, garage, etc.)
    Radio (wifi) - home office
    Touch x 2 - awaiting deployment
    UE Radio - awaiting deployment
    Control - 2 Controllers (main listening, home theatre, all others), Squeeze Remote (on Surface Pro 2), Music2Touch (BB Playbook)

Lick My Decals Off, Baby - Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band. Now remastered in a 4 CD set with The Spotlight Kid, Clear Spot and a disc of out-takes: Sun Zoom Spark: 1970 To 1972

Name:  51Vzf6qaTuL.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  51.7 KB
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3
    SqueezePad, iPeng, Squeezeplay, piCorePlayer/HiFiBerry, piCorePlayer>DacMagic XS
    QNAP TS-239, LMS 7.9
    last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Having watched the Nick Cave film 20,000 days on Earth last night, I played the most recent Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds LP Push the Sky Away. Interestingly most streaming services fuzz out the LP cover due to nudity. Seems unnecessarily prudish, but there you go!
    It's on Spotify bundled with some live tracks.
    Touch > DacMagic 100 > Naim Audio Nait 3 > Mission 752 (plus Rega Planar 3 and Naim CD3)
    2 x Squeezebox Radios, 1 X Squeezebox 3
    SqueezePad, iPeng, Squeezeplay, piCorePlayer/HiFiBerry, piCorePlayer>DacMagic XS
    QNAP TS-239, LMS 7.9
    last.fm/user/GrumpyBob

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416757712.581368.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  163.8 KB
    This, along with The Allman Brothers, Live at Filmore East and 801 Live, must rank as one of the best live albums of all time.
    QNAP TS419p 4Tb LMS7.7.2
    Dining Room -> SB Boom