Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ikabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,327

    Napster vs. Rhapsody? Any opinions?

    What are the notable differences between Napster and Rhapsody? To me they seem very similar. Any opinions of one over the other? Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    674

    Hi there!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    What are the notable differences between Napster and Rhapsody? To me they seem very similar. Any opinions of one over the other? Thank you.
    Hi Ikabob!

    I've not used Napster so I cannot comment on it. But I do use Rhapsody---a lot! Rhapsody streams at 192 kbps---at least that's what my Touch says and I believe Napster does as well. Every once in a great while I'll find a piece (or rip, I guess) that seems to have been of lesser quality. But I really don't know whether it's them or the original recording that'd doo-doo. Most of the music sounds remarkably good for coming from this type of service! Their site has seemed quite reliable...slow every once in a great while, but I don't think I've ever seen it go down.

    As with all of these services, and certainly with Rhapsody, there's a little learning curve to come up to as to how best to type in the search terms to find what you want. Otherwise, their selection seems massive---it's been extremely rare that I cannot find what I'm after (except, of course, the Beatles and, for some reason, the Eagles). At this point I believe I've got 50+ playlists compiled...many 10's of hours of listening pleasure!

    Cheers
    Rg

    System information
    ------------------------
    Main: Vortexbox > Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV Signature amp > Revel Performa R208 speakers.

    Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

    LMS 7.8.0 - 1395395852 on a Vortexbox Appliance, V 2.3, Touches: FW 7.8.0-r16754.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Ikabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,327
    Thanks Rick. I do use Rhapsody, but I think I'm going to give the 30 day free trial version of Napster a try. I really enjoy this entire Squeezebox system. I am listening to some great music selections as well as so many talk radiio and football-game stations. I have been reading about your new Touch. I trust that you are finding it a wise addition to your music system. Enjoy.

    Ron

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    674
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    Thanks Rick. I do use Rhapsody, but I think I'm going to give the 30 day free trial version of Napster a try. I really enjoy this entire Squeezebox system. I am listening to some great music selections as well as so many talk radiio and football-game stations. I have been reading about your new Touch. I trust that you are finding it a wise addition to your music system. Enjoy.

    Ron
    Hey Ron. Yeah...the Touch is a very cool unit, plus the wife factor is quite a bit better with it! I've downloaded a few 24/96 selections from HDtracks and they're really quite lovely---something the Touch can do that the Duet cannot.

    I'll be curious to hear what you think of Napster. I have few complaints regarding Rhapsody, but if there's something much better, I'll certainly keep an open mind!

    I should be getting my Revue in the next couple weeks...am anxiously awaiting that!
    Rg

    System information
    ------------------------
    Main: Vortexbox > Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV Signature amp > Revel Performa R208 speakers.

    Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

    LMS 7.8.0 - 1395395852 on a Vortexbox Appliance, V 2.3, Touches: FW 7.8.0-r16754.

  5. #5
    pski
    Guest
    I used my Rhapsody "free" sub (for having a hardware SBS player) and it's wide.

    I found that most of the long-time artists' catalog had the newer stuff but not the older.

    This could be because of negotiations with lost or old record labels but it was aggravating.

    P

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ikabob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,327
    I checked out the Napster music service and found that I definitely preferred Rhapsody. I will qualify these remarks by stating that perhaps I was not using Napster properly, but I found that the music albums were very hard to locate and when I did find certain classical albums, the available renditions were very limited. The quality of the audio was very nice however, Rhapsody streams at 192kps whereas Napster is at 128kps. Yes, hard to really tell the difference but I think I could. Also(and a major problem for me),when I saved an album to "My Napster Library" and tried to later go and locate that album using ipeng or on my Squeeze device, the listings are organized under the artist/orchestra name and not listed under the album title. So, for example, there could be many many different albums performed by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra so that locating the exact album I needed was trial and error in the artist/orchestra listings. The Napster web page on the PC is difficult to use as well, for me. On a positive note, their customer service was always available and courteous. In conclusion, I may try Napster in the future again just to have another service. Their monthly charge was $5 per which is less than Rhapsody. Having Rhapsody and Napster was a duplication of services and I just found that I liked Rhapsody better.

  7. #7
    Senior Member aubuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    Also(and a major problem for me),when I saved an album to "My Napster Library" and tried to later go and locate that album using ipeng or on my Squeeze device, the listings are organized under the artist/orchestra name and not listed under the album title. So, for example, there could be many many different albums performed by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra so that locating the exact album I needed was trial and error in the artist/orchestra listings.
    Thanks for the comments on the comparison. I did free trials of both Rhapsody and Napster 2-3 years ago and didn't keep either because the services were not very reliable. When Napster dropped their rates to $60/year with 60 free MP3 downloads I decided to give them another try and have been happy with Napster for the most part.

    My biggest gripe with Napster is the issue you raise here: there is no album-based browse in "My Napster Library". There's Genre, and Artist, and something else I don't remember right now. For me it's mostly a hassle with compilation and collaboration albums, because the album gets scattered across the various artist listings. And the artist listing gets really long!

    Does Rhapsody have a proper album browse mode? If so, I might give them another look, despite the higher subscription price.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    674

    Thanks Ikabob

    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    Thanks for the comments on the comparison. I did free trials of both Rhapsody and Napster 2-3 years ago and didn't keep either because the services were not very reliable. When Napster dropped their rates to $60/year with 60 free MP3 downloads I decided to give them another try and have been happy with Napster for the most part.

    My biggest gripe with Napster is the issue you raise here: there is no album-based browse in "My Napster Library". There's Genre, and Artist, and something else I don't remember right now. For me it's mostly a hassle with compilation and collaboration albums, because the album gets scattered across the various artist listings. And the artist listing gets really long!

    Does Rhapsody have a proper album browse mode? If so, I might give them another look, despite the higher subscription price.
    Also, my thanks for the comparison. I'll stick with Rhapsody. All else aside, if I had needed to contemplate switching, I hated the thought of having to rebuild some rather large playlists I've accummulated!

    Aubuti....in Rhapsody, if you save an entire album to "My Library" you have the option to view them sorted either by Album name or Artist.
    Rg

    System information
    ------------------------
    Main: Vortexbox > Benchmark DAC2 D > LFD LE IV Signature amp > Revel Performa R208 speakers.

    Home Theatre: Touch (Wired) > Pioneer VSX 919 > Energy Take 5 Classic 5.1.

    LMS 7.8.0 - 1395395852 on a Vortexbox Appliance, V 2.3, Touches: FW 7.8.0-r16754.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •