Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 178
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    The switching power supply is creating HF noise.
    This noise has not only negative effect on the Touch, but on all other hifi components in the system.
    When for somebody switched ps is enough, than it is finally not my problem
    And a rather large power transformer creates a good bit of EMF noise. Place that transformer anywhere near a line level signal and you will induce a nice 60hz hum.

    FYI you really do not need a 120VA transformer to power a device that at most needs 15Ws. A 25-50VA transformer should be plenty and would produce less EMF.

  2. #22
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Pat was measuring the older (original - pretty bad) style switcher not the current one. Also, he was measuring the analogue output...
    So.... I guess it's back to theory and ears.

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    244

    battery?

    Anyone used a battery supply for the Touch? - Just curious.
    System: modified Winsome Labs Mouse, modified Maggie MMG's, Transporter, HSU sub 12, MSB DAC to modified 300watt class d amp, JPS labs power cords, Silver audio interconnect, Audioquest Granite speaker cable.

  4. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    230
    Quote Originally Posted by m1abrams View Post
    And a rather large power transformer creates a good bit of EMF noise. Place that transformer anywhere near a line level signal and you will induce a nice 60hz hum.

    FYI you really do not need a 120VA transformer to power a device that at most needs 15Ws. A 25-50VA transformer should be plenty and would produce less EMF.
    I know that 120VA is overkill, but look at Naim Audio and their power supplies for preamps. Why they are doing it ? Are they so stupid ?

    Big transformator has lower impedance, than the small one. Good power suplly should have the lowest possible impedance.

    Thats the reason why i took one 120VA

  5. #25
    Senior Member Phil Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    9,991

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    I know that 120VA is overkill, but look at Naim Audio and their power supplies for preamps. Why they are doing it ? Are they so stupid ?

    Big transformator has lower impedance, than the small one. Good power suplly should have the lowest possible impedance.

    Thats the reason why i took one 120VA
    1) They are not stupid. They know that nobody is going to pay ú300+ for the 20VA that is required...
    2) The SB will never see the "impedance" of the transformer. It will see the regulation circuitry...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    230
    Hi Phil,

    Power supply is just one electric circuit build from few elements.

    The impedance of the power supply in our case is composed of the impedance of the reg + main caps + rectifier + transformator. This is very simple rule of physics (or electric if you like).

    Some companies trying to lower the impedance are using rectifier with two diodes instead of four and the transformator has to be made of thicker, harder wire, than it has lower impedance.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Phil Leigh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cornwall, England
    Posts
    9,991
    Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    Hi Phil,

    Power supply is just one electric circuit build from few elements.

    The impedance of the power supply in our case is composed of the impedance of the reg + main caps + rectifier + transformator. This is very simple rule of physics (or electric if you like).

    Some companies trying to lower the impedance are using rectifier with two diodes instead of four and the transformator has to be made of thicker, harder wire, than it has lower impedance.
    Hi
    I know how to build power supplies, which is I why I also know that you don't need over-sized transformers on line level circuits and why you won't get full-wave rectification from just 2 diodes...unless you use an (expensive) centre-tap transformer.

    The performance of the PSU is predominantly determined by the smoothing caps and the voltage regulator. Using an oversize transformer to support a mere 3 amps at 5v is just a waste of money. There's also transformer ringing to consider...
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Hi
    I know how to build power supplies, which is I why I also know that you don't need over-sized transformers on line level circuits and why you won't get full-wave rectification from just 2 diodes...unless you use an (expensive) centre-tap transformer.

    The performance of the PSU is predominantly determined by the smoothing caps and the voltage regulator. Using an oversize transformer to support a mere 3 amps at 5v is just a waste of money. There's also transformer ringing to consider...

    "But it sounds better!"

    The standard audiophile response whenever they are presented with clear scientific facts regarding the latest, greatest and very expensive after market upgrade. See also high priced USB and Cat 5 cables.

    Still to come: air purification systems which will claim to improve the signal transmission of one's home wi-fi system resulting in much better sound and sharper video for all streaming devices. And of course the first ever truly high end router complete with gold plated connections and a fully regulated linear power supply, all for a mere $2,500 excluding Cat 5 cables.

    Hey Phil perhaps we can become partners in the first "audiophile air" company!
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  9. #29
    Senior Member mooblie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Scottish Highlands
    Posts
    176
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    And of course the first ever truly high end router complete with gold plated connections and a fully regulated linear power supply, all for a mere $2,500 excluding Cat 5 cables.
    Well, those Cat 5 cables are already here for the suckers. Directional, too! Don't the idiots EVER feel maybe, just maybe, they're being taken for a ride?
    Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray

  10. #30
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,632
    Quote Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
    Well, those Cat 5 cables are already here for the suckers. Directional, too! Don't the idiots EVER feel maybe, just maybe, they're being taken for a ride?
    I know about these outrageously priced cables but as of yet there are no "audiophile" routers on the market nor is there an air purification system for improving wi-fi signals available. So there still remains several good money making opportunities available
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •