Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R1200CL View Post
    You have to try for yourself to really believe.
    Well, I have tried with a linear power supply, and didn't notice any change.

You will find a lot more about how brilliant the LPS-1 is over at CA.
    I think "You will find a lot more about how brilliant the <tweak> is over at CA" is a valid statement for any value of <tweak>
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Well, I have tried with a linear power supply, and didn't notice any change.
    The LPS-1 is not a linear power supply. I would expect you to know better.

Most PS supplies won't make much difference on the SBT. The original supplied is quite good.

LPS-1. Short explanation.

Quote from the producer:

Well the UltraCap LPS-1 is unique in being an extremely low impedance unit with cascaded ultra-low-noise (4uV rms from 10Hz to 100kHz) regulators.
    And most importantly, as a bank alternating supply whose active output is 100% isolated from the charging side, it completely blocks the path of AC leakage currents, a important part of removing whatever it is powering from the "leakage loop" in that part of one's system (ALL audio systems have leakage loops happening between components with power supplies). The LPS-1 is a bit like a battery supply in this respect--without the several disadvantages of batteries.

Most PS supplies won't make much difference on the SBT. The original supplied is quite good.
    Uptone audio describe it as a linear power supply on their website.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Quote from the producer:

Well the UltraCap LPS-1 is unique in being an extremely low impedance unit with cascaded ultra-low-noise (4uV rms from 10Hz to 100kHz) regulators.
    And most importantly, as a bank alternating supply whose active output is 100% isolated from the charging side, it completely blocks the path of AC leakage currents, a important part of removing whatever it is powering from the "leakage loop" in that part of one's system (ALL audio systems have leakage loops happening between components with power supplies). The LPS-1 is a bit like a battery supply in this respect--without the several disadvantages of batteries.

There is only ONE way to create a DC output without any AC artifacts especially when one starts with dirty residential AC power and that is to use a DC battery IE do not start by using ANY AC Power. A linear power supply can't really help the SB3 or the Touch since both have internal switching power converters (which are fairly well engineered because they knew they were dealing with audio and meeting a price point was the only reason for not spending more money to get power issues any lower). The design is actually good enough that it does take much more money that doesn't make sense spending to lower noise etc. Could the internal supplies be a little cleaner sure, but the cheapest way to get them cleaner and with much greater results is to by-pass them with the specific DC Voltage provided by external battery supplies.

I have tested a Touch and SB3 run off a battery supply instead of the AC Wall unit and using an HP Network Analyzer shows that it is really not worth the trouble. Yes there is an improvement from a purist point of view but considering that the Touch or SB3 is still going to be the weakest part of any expensive audio system it simply doesn't matter IE again its not worth bothering. Then looking at a system where the Touch isn't the weakest link in the audio path, it again doesn't matter because it would be impossible to hear any difference if the Touch isn't the weakest part because other equipment would either mask it or outright cover it up.

The solution to this supposed "Issue" is to simply buy a Transporter! SB3 and Touch are for streaming high quality digital files on good equipment. Transporter is for streaming high quality digital files on great (audiophile) equipment.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

I wrote "I have tried with a linear power supply". Not the LPS-1.

I agree.
    "To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953

Quote Originally Posted by Julf View Post
    Not the LPS-1.
    I hope you one day will have the chance 😀
    You could borrow mine, but is's a lot of hazel since I'm in Norway, and in and out with customs.
    (Also you will need a transition plug).

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    There is only ONE way to create a DC output without any AC artifacts especially when one starts with dirty residential AC power and that is to use a DC battery IE do not start by using ANY AC Power. A linear power supply can't really help the SB3 or the Touch since both have internal switching power converters (which are fairly well engineered because they knew they were dealing with audio and meeting a price point was the only reason for not spending more money to get power issues any lower). The design is actually good enough that it does take much more money that doesn't make sense spending to lower noise etc. Could the internal supplies be a little cleaner sure, but the cheapest way to get them cleaner and with much greater results is to by-pass them with the specific DC Voltage provided by external battery supplies.

I have tested a Touch and SB3 run off a battery supply instead of the AC Wall unit and using an HP Network Analyzer shows that it is really not worth the trouble. Yes there is an improvement from a purist point of view but considering that the Touch or SB3 is still going to be the weakest part of any expensive audio system it simply doesn't matter IE again its not worth bothering. Then looking at a system where the Touch isn't the weakest link in the audio path, it again doesn't matter because it would be impossible to hear any difference if the Touch isn't the weakest part because other equipment would either mask it or outright cover it up.

The solution to this supposed "Issue" is to simply buy a Transporter! SB3 and Touch are for streaming high quality digital files on good equipment. Transporter is for streaming high quality digital files on great (audiophile) equipment.
    BOY is this guy opinionated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post

Thanks for the lecture. Too bad you don't have a clue what the LPS-1 product is or what it does. I you did, you wouldn't have written the above.
    GIK Acoustics Room Treatments. CAPS4 Pipeline w/Sonore PS running Windows 8/1 >Sonore microRendu>Mytek 192 DSD DAC>Schiit Freya Pre>Odyssey Kismet (Khartago case) Stereo Amp; Devore Gibbon 9 Speakers; Dual 506 + Ortofon M20 (occasional use); SB Touch slaved to Empirical Audio Pace Car;SB Boom and SB Touch in additional rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by firedog View Post
    Thanks for the lecture. Too bad you don't have a clue what the LPS-1 product is or what it does. I you did, you wouldn't have written the above.
    So explain what the LPS-1 is and what it does then explain how it improves sound quality.

The electronics engineers amongst us would be interested
    Players: SliMP3,Squeezebox3 x3,Receiver,SqueezePlayer,PiCorePlayer x3,Wandboard
    Server: LMS Version: 7.9.1 - 1503129892 on Centos 7 VM on ESXi 6.5.0U1 on Dell T320
    Plugins: AutoRescan/BBCiPlayer/PowerSave/PowerSwitchIII/Squeezecloud
    Remotes: iPeng8/Orangesqueeze/PC/Jivelite
    Music: 383GB,1269 albums 17756 songs 4381 artists mostly FLACs

Want a webapp ? See http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...Webapp-for-LMS