Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 195

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    3

    Linear Power Supplies

    I'm looking for a linear PS to replace the Walwart that came with the Touch. I would appreciate any recommendations.

    Thanks,
    jllaudio

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,068
    You may want to review this thread.

    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...h+power+supply

  3. #3
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,163
    Quote Originally Posted by jllaudio View Post
    I'm looking for a linear PS to replace the Walwart that came with the Touch. I would appreciate any recommendations.

    Thanks,
    jllaudio
    Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Recommendations: save your money and put it toward a great DAC or Transporter. Paying more then $25 for a power supply makes no sense with the Touch.

    Quick Question, WHY? Is your wall-wart PS bad? Is it causing a ground loop?

    Cost wise and audio benefits wise replacing the OEM Power Supply doesn't make sense when the OEM is just fine. They did a very good job on the internal regulators on the Touch and it has internal switching supplies so replacing the OEM switcher accomplishes nothing as its really only acting as the supply voltage just as the AC power cord does on ones Amplifier.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  4. #4

    I can't hear a difference

    I tried the Welborne PS with my Duet. To my ears, it made absolutely no difference when listening to the digital output via my DAC. Maybe there was little difference on the analog out. If anything the stock switching PS is mechanically quieter than the Welborne PS, which has a slight - but audible - mechanical hum from the transformer.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    230
    I have built a diy PS for my Touch with SuperTeddyReg.

    120VA transformator, rectifier bridge with fast diodes, 6800uF Panasonic cap and then SuperTeddyReg and good cables.

    IMHO there is a huge sonical difference (using analogue or digital outputs) between delivered switched ps and well build high quality linear ps.

  6. #6
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    I have built a diy PS for my Touch with SuperTeddyReg.

    120VA transformator, rectifier bridge with fast diodes, 6800uF Panasonic cap and then SuperTeddyReg and good cables.

    IMHO there is a huge sonical difference (using analogue or digital outputs) between delivered switched ps and well build high quality linear ps.
    HUGH? - just how how HUGH? HUGH enough that anyone can hear the difference?

    It's statements like "IMHO there is a huge sonical difference" that throw many people all into a tissy. Especially what such statements run counter to the experience of many of these people.

    So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples, like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  7. #7
    Senior Member mooblie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    The Scottish Highlands
    Posts
    176
    So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples,like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Let me guess: it will be "airier sound stage, more ambience, like the performers are here with me, immediacy, increased commitment, more colour, less cramped expression, ......." Oh dear. This thread now belongs in Audiophiles.
    Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray

  8. #8
    Senior Member ralphpnj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern NJ, USA
    Posts
    2,639
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    HUGH? - just how how HUGH? HUGH enough that anyone can hear the difference?

    It's statements like "IMHO there is a huge sonical difference" that throw many people all into a tissy. Especially what such statements run counter to the experience of many of these people.

    So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples, like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
    Let me guess: it will be "airier sound stage, more ambience, like the performers are here with me, immediacy, increased commitment, more colour, less cramped expression, ......." Oh dear. This thread now belongs in Audiophiles.
    Thank you mooblie! See what I mean, praganj?

    BTW, that is not knock against mooblie, it's just that mooblie was the first to respond.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    755
    Not familiar with the psu you built however it could be a lot of things causing a change. If the new psu is unable to provide the current needed then it could be dropping out of regulation. This would cause pretty significant issues. Without testing the too supplies though it is anyone's guess.

    What size transformer are you using?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Belgium, Europe
    Posts
    16
    Here is John's scheme:
    http://home.comcast.net/~johnswenson1/stereo/SB_5V.GIF

    The components are exactly as John mentioned.
    The output is exactly 5V.
    The transformer is 10Vsec / 2,5A.

    As I said, it works fine, but it has the unexpected characteristic of smoothing too much. Is this the natural sound of the Touch (without noise effects)?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •