Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Linear Power Supplies

I'm looking for a linear PS to replace the Walwart that came with the Touch. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
    jllaudio

You may want to review this thread.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...h+power+supply

Quote Originally Posted by jllaudio View Post
    I'm looking for a linear PS to replace the Walwart that came with the Touch. I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks,
    jllaudio
    Hello and Welcome to the Forum. Recommendations: save your money and put it toward a great DAC or Transporter. Paying more then $25 for a power supply makes no sense with the Touch.

Quick Question, WHY? Is your wall-wart PS bad? Is it causing a ground loop?

Cost wise and audio benefits wise replacing the OEM Power Supply doesn't make sense when the OEM is just fine. They did a very good job on the internal regulators on the Touch and it has internal switching supplies so replacing the OEM switcher accomplishes nothing as its really only acting as the supply voltage just as the AC power cord does on ones Amplifier.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

I can't hear a difference

I tried the Welborne PS with my Duet. To my ears, it made absolutely no difference when listening to the digital output via my DAC. Maybe there was little difference on the analog out. If anything the stock switching PS is mechanically quieter than the Welborne PS, which has a slight - but audible - mechanical hum from the transformer.

I have built a diy PS for my Touch with SuperTeddyReg.

120VA transformator, rectifier bridge with fast diodes, 6800uF Panasonic cap and then SuperTeddyReg and good cables.

IMHO there is a huge sonical difference (using analogue or digital outputs) between delivered switched ps and well build high quality linear ps.

Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    I have built a diy PS for my Touch with SuperTeddyReg.

120VA transformator, rectifier bridge with fast diodes, 6800uF Panasonic cap and then SuperTeddyReg and good cables.

IMHO there is a huge sonical difference (using analogue or digital outputs) between delivered switched ps and well build high quality linear ps.
    HUGH? - just how how HUGH? HUGH enough that anyone can hear the difference?

It's statements like "IMHO there is a huge sonical difference" that throw many people all into a tissy. Especially what such statements run counter to the experience of many of these people.

So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples, like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples,like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Let me guess: it will be "airier sound stage, more ambience, like the performers are here with me, immediacy, increased commitment, more colour, less cramped expression, ......." Oh dear. This thread now belongs in Audiophiles.
    Martin at HeadSpin HD now on Blu-ray

Quote Originally Posted by ralphpnj View Post
    HUGH? - just how how HUGH? HUGH enough that anyone can hear the difference?

It's statements like "IMHO there is a huge sonical difference" that throw many people all into a tissy. Especially what such statements run counter to the experience of many of these people.

So please, do tell us just how HUGH is the difference with some specific examples, like deeper bass, clearer midrange, etc. TIA!
    Quote Originally Posted by mooblie View Post
    Let me guess: it will be "airier sound stage, more ambience, like the performers are here with me, immediacy, increased commitment, more colour, less cramped expression, ......." Oh dear. This thread now belongs in Audiophiles.
    Thank you mooblie! See what I mean, praganj?

BTW, that is not knock against mooblie, it's just that mooblie was the first to respond.
    Living Rm: Transporter-SimAudio pre/power amps-Vandersteen 3A Sign. & sub
    Home Theater: Touch-Marantz HTR-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Linn sub
    Computer Rm: Touch-Headroom Desktop w/DAC-Aragon amp-Energy Veritas 2.1 & Energy sub
    Bedroom: Touch-HR Desktop w/DAC-Audio Refinement amp-Energy Veritas 2.0
    Guest Rm: Duet-Sony soundbar
    Garage: SB3-JVC compact system
    Controls: iPeng; SB Controller; Moose & Muso
    Server: LMS 7.9 on dedicated windows 10 computer w/2 Drobos
    Last.fm

I think that instead of writing about my spelling errors you should just try one good linear PS with your SBT.

Than you will have your own experience and you can report your findings here.

Quote Originally Posted by praganj View Post
    I think that instead of writing about my spelling errors you should just try one good linear PS with your SBT.

Than you will have your own experience and you can report your findings here.
    We've been over this so many times. The digital output is completely unaffected by the external power supply (asuming it is supplying the right voltage and current and not injecting a ton of noise). There is no demonstrable/repeatable/provable audible or measurable difference (if anyone has any FACTUAL evidence, I'm all ears). Probably not what you wanted to hear. Ho-hum.

I'll leave it to others to comment on the analogue output.

Just because audio folk-lore insists that "improving" the power supply is always a good thing doesn't make it into a fact. Likewise the same folk-lore that insists that "linear" is always better than "switched" - which simply is NOT the case. Both are capable of good or bad results.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.