Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    pski
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    That's a distinct possibility. There's not a lot of clearance between the driver and the edge of the case in front of it. If so, and the case was never redesigned during the Boom's product life, then I'd expect this to happen to most Booms eventually.
    And if they all fail the warranty won't be work a flying f*&^ at a rolling doughnut. See the HP Mininote.

P

Wow, thanks for the pic! I haven't had a problem, but this is great to know in case I do encounter a problem down the line.

It will be interesting to see if somebody determines a replacement source of woofers. It will also be interesting to see what the procedure is to remove/install the woofer.

Given the price point of the Boom, it's pretty lame to see these types of failures. What a shame.

JJZolx - did the rubber surround separate from the driver or did the mount slice into it? The question is did the speaker drive itself fail or did it fail due to the way it was mounted?
    Last edited by maggior; 2011-03-27 at 19:42.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

For those who do have this problem it might help to know if the same type of speaker damage is happening in the same area of the Boom enclosure.
    IOW is the speaker rubber/foam delaminating at random spots anywhere in the enclosure? Or does it seem to always delaminate in roughly the same spot as pictured (thank you JJZolx).

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    For those who do have this problem it might help to know if the same type of speaker damage is happening in the same area of the Boom enclosure.
    IOW is the speaker rubber/foam delaminating at random spots anywhere in the enclosure? Or does it seem to always delaminate in roughly the same spot as pictured (thank you JJZolx).
    On my left speaker, the delamination is about 75% around. On the right, almost 90%. The speakers are being blown off their seal.

The driver in the photo only remains about 20% attached. The other driver is completely separated.

I have a second, older Boom from earlier beta testing where the right driver is also completely separated and the left one has just 1/2" of the surround that remains intact.

I can't say for certain whether the surrounds are splitting where they attach to the driver basket or whether they're being cut or worn by contact with the edge of the front bezel opening, as Peter suggests. I think the latter is good possibility, though. I'll try disassembling one of the Touches and maybe it will become more apparent.

So there appears to be no real pattern as to location of speaker surround separation/delamination.

Just inspected mine and I cannot see any such separation. I went around the entire surrounds *very* gently pulling on them with my finger, all seems in tact.
    I wasn't expecting to find anything as I have not heard any audio quality degradation, but you guys have me spooked.

What is odd is that I'd bet my Boom usage is at the extreme level compared to most users. Extreme in playback hours and playing environment. Yet my speakers seem in tact.

My Boom will be 3 years old this summer, streams literally 24/7 for at least 10 months of the year, usually at 40% volume (sometimes 80%), in a attached garage.
    Garage environment is humid summers up to 80f, dry winters down to 0f, garage temp averages about 10 degrees difference from outside temps.
    90f outside = 80f in garage, 25f outside = 35f in garage

On the plus side my Boom rarely ever sees direct sun light and never direct moisture contact. I also use a sub so maybe this is helping by placing less strain on speakers??
    I also wonder if playing continuously may actually help these surrounds vs occasional playback? Maybe because continuous use means it is maintaining a more consistent operating temp?
    No idea, just adding my experience in hopes of helping resolve your speaker issues as this may one day become *my* issue as well.

Should we start adding S/N's or build dates to this thread? Maybe production issues at some point? Manufacturer changed glue type?
    Are you guys using your Booms in wet bathroom conditions?

*shrug*

I also use a sub so maybe this is helping by placing less strain on speakers??
    Yes, and very significantly, if the white paper is to be trusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulkeeper View Post
    Yes, and very significantly, if the white paper is to be trusted.
    Indeed. Anyone can try how much by selecting Settings --> Audio --> Line Out : (*)Subwoofer without actually using a subwoofer. The level of bass will drop significantly.

This whole thing has me very worried as well, since I'm very fond of my Boom. Actually, I have the possibility to get another one at a great price locally, but this has put me off for now.

-Skinny
    This sentence says less than a list of audio equipment.

Where is Caleb when we need him.

I suppose I have no more use for my boom, with the torn woofers. If anyone wants it for parts, or to connect to an external speaker set, drop me a PM. You pay shipping in the US.