Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingernut63 View Post
    Did you tell the wife?
    No chance! Pinched a few of her cotton buds too!
    Server - LMS 7.9.1 > Raspberry Pi3/piCorePlayer 3.21, 25K library, cache and playlists on a USB HD (formatted ntfs).
    Lounge - RPi 2/Max2Play > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Study - RPi 3/piCorePlayer 3.21 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > CA Minx 5
    Dining Room - Boom
    Garage - RPi3/piCorePlayer 3.02 > HiFiBerry DAC+ > Sharp micro system
    In car - LMS 7.9.1 > RPi3/Max2Play/Access Point plugin > HiFiBerry DAC+ > car's hifi (files on a 2TB portable USB drive)
    Spares - 1xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio

Another cracked speaker

Yesterday another one of my boom started to have the fart sound syndrom ... grrr. Glad I bought 2 replacement speakers "in case" last year. Took 45 minutes to have both replaced. I will fix the old one (probably both of them) with the kit from speakerrepairshop.com (ref R3C1) but my advice is always 2 spares so that you can have bring back quickly the Boom and then take your time later to do the "refoaming".
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

Boom repair

Dead Boom to the left is donating a driver to the one in pieces to the right.

All went well.

Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  195.0 KB
    Last edited by bernt; 2016-12-07 at 01:06.
    SB Touch to Yamaha A-S501, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    Dead Boom to the left is donating a driver to the one in pieces to the left.

All went well.

Name:  IMG_0254.JPG
Views: 369
Size:  195.0 KB
    Dead Boom cannot be fixed?
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    Dead Boom cannot be fixed?
    If you can find cheap donor Booms for spare parts, why not?

I'd be concerned the replacement woofer(s) would die just as quickly (or slowly, or however fast yours met its maker). We still haven't figured out what the issue really is, although it's probably just the fact that it's a $3 part from a random driver factory in bumfuck China.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    If you can find cheap donor Booms for spare parts, why not?

I'd be concerned the replacement woofer(s) would die just as quickly (or slowly, or however fast yours met its maker). We still haven't figured out what the issue really is, although it's probably just the fact that it's a $3 part from a random driver factory in bumfuck China.
    In fact what I wanted to ask was: what is dead in the dead Boom? I might be interested to buy it to try to fix, so I wanted to know what was the problem to see if it was fiwable.

Quote Originally Posted by philippe_44 View Post
    In fact what I wanted to ask was: what is dead in the dead Boom? I might be interested to buy it to try to fix, so I wanted to know what was the problem to see if it was fiwable.
    It's completely dead and I was reckless then I opened it the first time to check what was wrong. Some components fell of the moderboard.

I will keep it for spares. Sorry!
    SB Touch to Yamaha A-S501, Boston Acoustics A26.
    SB 3 to Audio Pro T3.
    SB BOOM
    SB Radio
    ReadyNAS 202
    iPeng

Quote Originally Posted by bernt View Post
    It's completely dead and I was reckless then I opened it the first time to check what was wrong. Some components fell of the moderboard.

I will keep it for spares. Sorry!
    Did you try lighting the candle? Sorry

Hi all,

as this is an ongoing problem and likely to affect more and more people, just wanted to point out that I am sharing some thoughts and experiences here:

Boom Bass repair: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...adio-bass.html
    Boom Display replacement: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...d-display.html
    Boom Display power circuitry fix: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...isplay_30.html
    Classic Display replacement: http://joes-tech-blog.blogspot.com/2...x-classic.html

VFD Displays for Boom, Classic, and Transporter are available and are still in production. For the bass woofers, there is at least one eBay seller in the Netherlands who sells repair kits. New woofers are no longer available anywhere on the market.
    Feel free to ask me if you have any questions

Regards
    Joe
    1x Squezeebox Classic SB2
    5x Squeezebox Classic SB3 (one waiting for repair)
    7x Squeezebox Boom (two waiting for repair)
    1x Transporter
    1.5x Controller (one waiting for repair)
    1.5x Touch (one waiting for repair)

Regarding the SB BOOM woofer repairs, I just got a pair of FaitalPRO 3FE25 and I wouldn't call them a perfect match.

The design is somewhat similar, but they absolutely don't fit the holes in the box without requiring some serious "percussive maintainance".

I would say that if really nothing else exists anymore, they they could indeed replace the speakers,