Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Hmm also it is said by several devs that the software should protect the woofers ? so it should be "imposible" to blow it ?

Thats seems not to be the case in reality ?

luckily my boom is ok as it is in my beedroom 0,5m from my head so obscene amount of volume is never needed
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    Highly unlikely. Current development is with the new players which utilize a completely different architecture. Plus, as suggested, the Boom's memory is maxed out.
    I think the document was more of a wish list, what "could" be done. But then they ran out of time, money, resources.
    Like all great ideas, what is "possible" is not always realistically achievable.

The economic climate and the squeezebox team's position in Logtech were both very different when the Boom was being developed. The economy hadn't crashed yet and the Squeezebox guys hadn't been completely assimilated by the corporation yet.

It makes more sense at this point for them to be concentrating on "the next thing" (perhaps a Boom based on the current architecture) rather than adding features to an old product. If there were a new Boom, it would be nice to see these features in it.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

Blown woofer here too.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    On mine, the surrounds of the woofers have split around the outer edge and almost completely separated from the basket.
    Isn't this supposed to be a relatively easy problem to fix? Looks like foam surround repair kits cost about $10 for one driver. (I know, failing to match the stiffness of the original surround will change the sound...)

When I asked why they used "foam" surrounds on Radio instead of something like rubber, Caleb (former Logitech employee who designed Boom) said they were supposed to be made of something like Santoprene and should outlast Radio's other components. To me the drivers on Boom and Radio appear identical, so these failures really shouldn't be happening.
    owner of the stuff that used to reside at http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Isn't this supposed to be a relatively easy problem to fix? Looks like foam surround repair kits cost about $10 for one driver. (I know, failing to match the stiffness of the original surround will change the sound...)

When I asked why they used "foam" surrounds on Radio instead of something like rubber, Caleb (former Logitech employee who designed Boom) said they were supposed to be made of something like Santoprene and should outlast Radio's other components. To me the drivers on Boom and Radio appear identical, so these failures really shouldn't be happening.
    I can't imagine that it's worth redoing the surrounds. The drivers can't cost more than a few dollars each. I've refoamed some old vintage 8" woofers, which is fairly simple, but I don't know that I'd want to try my hand at doing these little 3" things.

Here's what one of them looks like. On this Boom the surround of the right woofer has separated 360°. This is the left woofer, where it still remains attached about 20%, to the left of the area shown. Just to look at it, without noticing that it has split away, the surround looks fine.

Thanks for the reports and the pic. My Boom has recently started sounding like there's a blown woofer, but I still need to pry off the grilles and take a look inside. Has anyone identified a source for replacement drivers?

Looking at that picture (thanks for sharing!), I wonder if it's caused by a problem with the case. Perhaps the mold for the speaker mount has a sharp edge that abrades the surround and tends to sever it when the driver moves a lot?
    owner of the stuff that used to reside at http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Ah, I have the same problem. Thanks to your great photo, I was now able to see clearly what I missed before. This really stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by peterw View Post
    Looking at that picture (thanks for sharing!), I wonder if it's caused by a problem with the case. Perhaps the mold for the speaker mount has a sharp edge that abrades the surround and tends to sever it when the driver moves a lot?
    That's a distinct possibility. There's not a lot of clearance between the driver and the edge of the case in front of it. If so, and the case was never redesigned during the Boom's product life, then I'd expect this to happen to most Booms eventually.