Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Is Anyone Fixing Booms?

Is anyone in the Squeezebox community fixing Booms for fun or profit??

My non-warranty Boom has a bad subwoofer – developed a ‘raspy’ sound recently.

Would be happy to do business with anyone on the forum. Thanks…..

No, but this is at least the third report of blown woofers in the Boom.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80489

I haven't had a chance yet to tear mine apart. Will have to see whether there's a source for replacement woofers. If there is a replacement I imagine that they're pretty cheap.

Boom Subwoofer

Thanks for the reply.

I would appreciate any info you find out about the disassembly and the part availability.

thanks

Hi,

My SB boom was also crackling or 'farting' from the left woofer. I called logitech support, and they sent me a brand new unit as a replacement, even though it was more than 12 months old.

very good customer service, i must say, although I would like to repair my old unit rather than dump it if possible. I will disassemble it to see if it is a problem with the woofer or the left hand woofer amp itself. it could well be a passive component failure in the amp, although it does sound very much like a voice coil or suspension problem.

Cheers,
    Alex.

On mine, the surrounds of the woofers have split around the outer edge and almost completely separated from the basket. It's easy to pry up the grills to take a look. Just take a very small screwdriver or butter knife and lift the grill from the corner.

I have a feeling this is going to be a common problem as time goes on. I'm wondering if some of the DSP tricks done on the Boom to make them sound larger may be overdriving the little woofers.

I'll try to post a pick later.

Any more info about this?

I have a Boom having problems on the left speaker. buzzing or silence or loud sequels at random times. I'd love to see someone post an entire teardown of these units and maybe a link to buy parts. I'm going to call Logitech to see if they can help but we all will need this information sooner or later.

I think the Boom is replaced in the product lineup sooner rather then later.

That's very cool, interesting!

The following quote intrigues me:

"Some of the future enhancements could include: automatic loudness filter for low-volume listening; dynamic range compression for low-volume listening; multi-band equalization; dynamic range compression for high-noise environments; and whatever else we can think up to help improve the overall experience"

The observation is that all of these can be implemented through software/firmware upgrades, and that was the intent. Have any of these things been done? I wonder if they might yet happen?

R.

I've heard the flash memory is something like 99.999...% full, so the range of features that can be added from now on is very limited.

But maybe programming/configuring the DSP doesn't cost much memory at all? I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by RonM View Post
    .........The observation is that all of these can be implemented through software/firmware upgrades, and that was the intent. Have any of these things been done? I wonder if they might yet happen?.....
    Highly unlikely. Current development is with the new players which utilize a completely different architecture. Plus, as suggested, the Boom's memory is maxed out.
    I think the document was more of a wish list, what "could" be done. But then they ran out of time, money, resources.
    Like all great ideas, what is "possible" is not always realistically achievable.