Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Excellent feedback guys.

I have found that if I type 'flac' instead of just flac in the FLAC DOS box that pops up then the encoding stage does run and produces a flac file but I still get the external extractor error message afterwards. So I must have the correct path to flac.exe. JJZolx, I'll change from 8 to 5 in additional command line options, thanks.

Phil Leigh suggests: -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -5 %s

Where I have: -V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" - T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

Excuse my ignorance but what does the -V at the beginning of my string refer to; does the position of the -5 or -8 matter and also I have seen some people use %d after %s, what's that for?

Obviously I'd rather not carry on with the time-consuming method I've found works (I've only done 2 CD's so far) so I'll try all your suggestions. I have found that flac frontend will happily send the flac files directly to my NAS. Do you think once I have EAC and flac communicating properly that will solve my 0.99pb5 UNC issue or do the flac files have to go back to the input directory for EAC to chaeck them? If not I'll look up how to map a drive letter - I saw some referrence to using C++ and I'm afraid that's the deep end of the pool for me, I'm just paddling!

Thanks again for all your timely support

Quote Originally Posted by flacattack View Post
    Excellent feedback guys.

I have found that if I type 'flac' instead of just flac in the FLAC DOS box that pops up then the encoding stage does run and produces a flac file but I still get the external extractor error message afterwards. So I must have the correct path to flac.exe. JJZolx, I'll change from 8 to 5 in additional command line options, thanks.

Phil Leigh suggests: -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" -T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" -5 %s

Where I have: -V -8 -T "artist=%a" -T "title=%t" -T "album=%g" -T "date=%y" - T "tracknumber=%n" -T "genre=%m" %s

Excuse my ignorance but what does the -V at the beginning of my string refer to; does the position of the -5 or -8 matter and also I have seen some people use %d after %s, what's that for?

Obviously I'd rather not carry on with the time-consuming method I've found works (I've only done 2 CD's so far) so I'll try all your suggestions. I have found that flac frontend will happily send the flac files directly to my NAS. Do you think once I have EAC and flac communicating properly that will solve my 0.99pb5 UNC issue or do the flac files have to go back to the input directory for EAC to chaeck them? If not I'll look up how to map a drive letter - I saw some referrence to using C++ and I'm afraid that's the deep end of the pool for me, I'm just paddling!

Thanks again for all your timely support
    The flac commands are not position-sensitive.
    -V will make flac verify the encoding (I never bother - waste of my valuable time - it never fails)
    %d makes no sense at all as it means "decode the flac" whereas you are trying to encode them!

When you have EAC set up properly, all you have to do is insert CD, press the "MP3" button, choose the destination folder on your NAS and...that's it!

(unless you want to fiddle with the tags, in which case you will need Mp3Tag, set Replaygain, in which case you will need Foobar2K...)

Or you could just use DBPoweramp instead of EAC and do it all in one go :-)

(although you will still need Mp3Tag for fine-tuning of the tags...)
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Leigh View Post
    Or you could just use DBPoweramp instead of EAC and do it all in one go :-)(although you will still need Mp3Tag for fine-tuning of the tags...)
    +1 on dbpa and mp3tag. Handles it all very nicely. I feel like the OP is trying to build an automobile out of spare parts rather than just get in one and drive. Ripping files to FLAC, having good metadata and artwork, having verified rips, in some cases accuraterip verification, etc. are all automatic. And creating an mp3 mirror of these FLAC files can also be done with a couple of mouse clicks.

just tried using EAC wizard and now works perfectly! Just need to work out how to map letter to NAS drive now. Wizard produced this string in additional command options: -6 -V -T "ARTIST=%a" -T "TITLE=%t" -T "ALBUM=%g" -T "DATE=%y" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%n" -T "GENRE=%m" -T "COMMENT=%e" %s -o %d

The only things I changed was to enable ' use CRC check'

OK, so it turns out mapping a drive letter to my NAS share invlolves going to 'my computer' then 5 button clicks! All working fine now, thanks for your support.

mapping a network drive

If you are on Windows then you should be able to map a network drive. It varies with versions, but most are something like the Windows 7 method:

Go to Computer
    Click on Network
    Find your drive, open it and find the folder you want to store in
    Right click on that folder and one of the choices will be "map network drive"

The key is you can't map a drive, you can only map a folder on that drive. You can just create an empty top level folder to map to if needs be.

Hope that helps
    SB Classic > Benchmark HDR > Audio Research LS 26 > SimAudio Moon 5.3 > B&W 703s. Other sources: McCormack UDP, VPI Scout/Benz Wood with Nova Phonomena pre, Sony HD radio. SlimServer running on WindowsServer 2008

MrSinatra
    i just setup EAC first as FLAC and then mp3 on a virgin machine using the latest LAME.

it had this for FLAC:

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

and i left that as is, except i changed -6 to -8 for maximum compression, (and yes, i know its a minimal difference)

and this for LAME:

%islow%-V 5%islow%%ishigh%-V 2%ishigh% --vbr-new %source% %dest%

which i changed to this:

-q 1

b/c i use 256 cbr.

and i put the lame dll into the EAC dir to expose the hidden lame config options, but that doesn't seem to be working.

anyone see anything that could be improved?

Quote Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
    i just setup EAC first as FLAC and then mp3 on a virgin machine using the latest LAME.

it had this for FLAC:

-6 -V -T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%" -T "ALBUM=%albumtitle%" -T "DATE=%year%" -T "TRACKNUMBER=%tracknr%" -T "GENRE=%genre%" -T "COMMENT=%comment%" -T "BAND=%albuminterpret%" -T "ALBUMARTIST=%albuminterpret%" -T "COMPOSER=%composer%" %haslyrics%--tag-from-file=LYRICS="%lyricsfile%"%haslyrics% -T "DISCNUMBER=%cdnumber%" -T "TOTALDISCS=%totalcds%" -T "TOTALTRACKS=%numtracks%" %hascover%--picture="%coverfile%"%hascover% %source% -o %dest%

and i left that as is, except i changed -6 to -8 for maximum compression, (and yes, i know its a minimal difference)
    Do you mean you left

-T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%"

etc.? That won't work for LAME.

lame.exe --longhelp

and this for LAME:

%islow%-V 5%islow%%ishigh%-V 2%ishigh% --vbr-new %source% %dest%

which i changed to this:

-q 1

b/c i use 256 cbr.
    What's the point of saying "here's what I use to encode in FLAC and I changed this and this and this." Just show the command you use with LAME.

You should also have been able to Google what you need in 1/10th the time it too you to post your message.

MrSinatra
    Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Do you mean you left

-T "ARTIST=%artist%" -T "TITLE=%title%"

etc.? That won't work for LAME.

lame.exe --longhelp
    that was FLAC. (i setup two profiles, one for flac, one for lame/mp3)

What's the point of saying "here's what I use to encode in FLAC and I changed this and this and this."
    i'm looking for advice. the only thing i changed for the flac was the -6 to -8

Just show the command you use with LAME.

You should also have been able to Google what you need in 1/10th the time it too you to post your message.
    well, as it happens i can't yet get the lame to work, and i'm not having luck with google. i did show the whole command line for lame btw... meaning, i showed the orig EAC filled in default, and then what i completely erased it with, which was just -q 1 which isn't working.

MrSinatra
    ok, figured out the first problem...

when u setup lame with the wizard, it calls it a user defined encoder. that might (or maybe not?) work with EAC's default command line, but not if u replace it as i do with -q 1 apparently. but if u change it to LAME encoder, then it does work.

still, any advice on the command lines for improvement, or how to get the hidden lame options back would be great.