My radio’s ‘full off’ mode (ie holding down the power button for more than 2 seconds until the ‘Goodbye’ message appears) has never worked properly. The Radio doesn’t stay off, but within a few seconds starts its ‘on’ sequence spontaneously (the Logitech logo, the ‘Free your Music’ message and the Logitech jingle). This happens in both mains and battery power modes, and on both mysqueezebox.com and local SBS connections.
In the past this has not been a big problem and I never investigated it. However, I have recently switched to battery working and I am now plagued by the well reported problem of the radio turning itself ‘on’ spontaneously and promptly draining the battery. Having read through most of the various reports, I am starting to believe that the state of the streaming, connection to mysqueezebox.com vs local SBS etc are red herrings. I think the following is the sequence of events:
1. I press the power button momentarily to switch Radio to standby (I have set a blank screensaver to conserve power)
2. Because standby actually counts as ‘ON’ (http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph..._Radio_Battery refers), the Radio then automatically turns ‘full off’ after 20 minutes of idling.
3. The automatic turning off sequence then encounters the ‘full off’ problem I described above and the Radio therefore turns itself back on!
Of course, this is especially annoying for a Radio that is only used in a bathroom for a short period each day and then left unattended – as soon as it comes on spontaneously the battery starts to drain so unless you notice and turn it off again quickly then the battery goes flat within a day.
- Does this sequence appear plausible?
- If so, is there a solution to the 'full off' problem?
- Even if I can solve this problem, I will be left with having to wake up the Radio every day from ‘full off’ which is very slow. I know this has been complained about/documented elsewhere – is there any workaround?
For the record, I have seen the above sequence occur on battery only (never on mains power) under all combinations of the following circumstances:
Squeezebox Server 7.5.1, 9009 firmware on Radio
Squeezebox Server 7.5.2, 9009 firmware on Radio
Any state of stream playing/paused/stopped
Any connection – happens on both mysqueezebox.com and local Squeezebox Server
No alarms set
In the past I’ve quite enjoyed learning about and sorting through less significant issues (notably native AAC decoding problems) through participating in bug reports etc, but this one is a showstopper. I’m reluctantly coming to the conclusion that getting a Radio isn’t a normal purchase of consumer electronics – it’s an invitation to join the development team, who seem now to be fighting a losing battle with their (frustrating but potentially excellent) product.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Results 1 to 9 of 9
2010-08-23, 06:33 #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2010
'Full off' bug and consequent battery power problems