Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

ssh/sharing via window manager?

Does any one know how to access the touch via the nautilus window manager on ubuntu?

I can ssh to my squeezebox touch via the command line using the command:

ssh root@[SB's ip number]

and typing in the password, but it would be much more convenient to have access via nautilus (the window manager). My understanding is that this is done by opening any folder (I'm using ubuntu) and typing

ssh://root@[SB's ip number]

into the location bar (which appears with ctr-l). But then I get: could not display sftp://root@[ip number]
    and "ssh has unexpectedly quit". (If instead I try ssh://[SB's ip number] then I am requested to enter username and pasword, but it still doesn't work.)

When I enable sharing on the touch (as opposed to enable SSH) I am told the user name is Squeezebox, rather than root, with the same initial password 1234. If I try the same with this password, I am repeatedly asked for the password, and then get access denied. Is this the correct initial password?

Is there an alternative way to do this (e.g with samba?)

That would be sftp://root@x.x.x.x/

And usually do this by choosing

Places > connect to server in ubuntu

type ssh user etc etc as required.

Thats said I don think Touch or Radio or controller supports sftp at all .

Edit: meaning no graphical file browsing only comand line shell, if you want to copy files from the Touch to you pc you have to use the scp command.

samba could be used for the shared drive (usually your USB drive/stick).
    Edit: this is used to move music to your drive if you are using it's internal server
    Edit 2: maybe smb configuration could be hacked to share the whole / machine + but that would not be very safe
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2010-08-15 at 02:54.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks. Yes the main aim was to ease access the USB drive plugged in the touch---the lack of sftp support seems to be the problem. I will investigate samba, but for now I just remembered the "scp -r" option to recursivley copy whole directories much more easily using scp.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil168 View Post
    Thanks. Yes the main aim was to ease access the USB drive plugged in the touch---the lack of sftp support seems to be the problem. I will investigate samba, but for now I just remembered the "scp -r" option to recursivley copy whole directories much more easily using scp.
    But then it's suposed to work with samba , you can turn on sharing somewhere in the menu, I don't have any USB drive myself and i'm not running the server on my touch, so I have not turned on sharing.

But other users have sucessfully used samba.
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.

Yes samba works perfectly: after hunting around for instructions (and the ones I found giving trouble), I just tried replacing ssh:// by smb:// and it works fine:

open a folder, type control-l to see the location, then enter

smb://[SB's ip number]

and it works fine: I see the USB drive (plugged into the touch) in the folder window. [Presumably this only works on more recent versions of ubuntu---it must also be well-known?]

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Thats said I don think Touch or Radio or controller supports sftp at all .

Edit: meaning no graphical file browsing only comand line shell, if you want to copy files from the Touch to you pc you have to use the scp command.
    What do you mean? I always thought that sftp was just a UI abstraction on the client side. If the server supports ssh, then an sftp client can connect to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miksis View Post
    What do you mean? I always thought that sftp was just a UI abstraction on the client side. If the server supports ssh, then an sftp client can connect to it.
    I also believed that, I can do that with own server. But when i do the exact same thing with either controller radio or Touch it does not work from ubuntu ?

I'm always getting "ssh program unexpectedly exited"

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    I also believed that, I can do that with own server. But when i do the exact same thing with either controller radio or Touch it does not work from ubuntu ?

I'm always getting "ssh program unexpectedly exited"
    man sftp-server on, say Ubuntu...

sftp is invoked by sshd, but is not part of sshd or the ssh protocol itself, but is tunneled by ssh.

you need sftp-server, which neither touch nor controller support (as i recall they don't use openssh at all, but dropbear -- which doesn't include sftp-server).

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by snarlydwarf View Post
    man sftp-server on, say Ubuntu...

sftp is invoked by sshd, but is not part of sshd or the ssh protocol itself, but is tunneled by ssh.

you need sftp-server, which neither touch nor controller support (as i recall they don't use openssh at all, but dropbear -- which doesn't include sftp-server).
    Thanks , I've read about dropbear somewhere I' was curius it's seems to replace many standard linux things, but does it faster with less cpu. But with some things stripped out or simplified.

Seems like a good thing for embedded small cpu and memory starved things like the Touch .

My router also has dropbear