Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lkview
    • Jul 2010

Support for rdio

rdio.com is an excellent music service - but it appears to not be compatible with Squeezebox! Does anyone know of a way to stream rdio through Squeezebox, similar to Pandora?
  • mortslim
    • Apr 2007

I pay $10. per month to get Rhapsody, the granddaddy of all streaming music services that give you exactly what you want when you want it: artist, song, genre, album.

I am concerned that there are too many services either now available or announced. There is not enough room for all of them.

I heard google is going to have a streaming service in a few months and probably apple too.

A shake out is coming.

Maybe none of the services can survive on their own.

Maybe the winner will be the one that uses it as a loss leader for other purposes, maybe to sell records or for advertising or just to perpertually lose money like youtube.

And who are we to blame for all this? The record companies for charging too much for royalties?

The public for expecting music for free?

Who knows what will happen. I don't.

Comment

• rcampbel3
      • May 2010

rdio - Crunchies 2010 runner-up

This year’s fourth annual Crunchies Awards have just concluded, and we’re happy to say that it was an overwhelming success. For those who weren't at the event or watching our livestream, we’ve included the list of nominees and winners below. Our most sincere congratulations to the winners and to all of the nominees as well. It was an incredibly tight race for many of the categories, and it’s safe to say that everyone on this list is at the top of their field. We’d like to take a moment to point out Twitter’s win for “Best Overall Startup Or Product”, the first time the company has won a Crunchie in this category. Twitter has become an indispensable part of social communication and a key ingredient in the fabric of the web. And congratulations to Groupon's Andrew Mason, who won for CEO of the Year; Mark Pincus, who took Best Founder of the Year, and Quora, which took Best New Startup in 2010.

The more the merrier. Bring it to mysqueezebox.com and how about ujam as well?

-Ross

Comment

• jhonsberger@msn.com
        • Mar 2006

The more services available the better .

Let's see Rdio,MOG, etc and let the winners
        Be chosen on their merits .

Comment

• sle118
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by [email protected]
          The more services available the better .

Let's see Rdio,MOG, etc and let the winners
          Be chosen on their merits .
          Now that Napster is no longer available in Canada, this is becoming a necessary feature.

see my post in a different thread

I created a ticket to request support for rdio, which is available here. Please vote for it; create an account if necessary.

Also, it would be a good idea if each one of us sent an email to rdio help at the following address and request support for the squeezebox platform. I already sent mine.

[email protected]
          LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
          6xSqueezeAmp, several other ESP32-Wrover boards with jumper wires flying around, some with ethernet!

Comment

• sle118
            • Dec 2009

17 votes so far. At least the request was confirmed.

Anyone interested may also leave a comment in the following thread found on the rdio web site.

Last edited by sle118; 2012-02-29, 16:59. Reason: updated number of votes
            LMS 7.9 - 1xRadio, 1xBoom, 5xDuet,3xTouch, 1 SB2. Sony PlayStation, Emby, Chromecast v1 and v2 and...
            6xSqueezeAmp, several other ESP32-Wrover boards with jumper wires flying around, some with ethernet!

Comment

• djtark
              • Jun 2009

rdio.com

It´s a must to get this service on the box !

Comment

• docbells
                • May 2012

agree, would love to have Rdio on squeezebox.

I have been posting to their twitter account and voting on their feature request thread. Bang the drum!

Comment

• docbells
                  • May 2012

Rdio

See this thread - fill out the survey, and hopefully we can get some Rdio and Logitech to come together and make Rdio available on the squeezebox!

Edit - Thread: http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Squeez...rt/td-p/722360
                  Last edited by docbells; 2012-05-18, 20:42.

Comment

• docbells
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by docbells
                    agree, would love to have rdio on squeezebox.

I have been posting to their twitter account and voting on their feature request thread. Bang the drum!
                    bump

Comment

• mortslim
                      • Apr 2007

apparently Logitech is not actively expanding and growing the Squeezebox line of products. Why? It doesn't have the budget for it anymore and its priorities lie elsewhere. Logitech has too many other products to focus on and it doesn't see the Squeezebox line as being a viable profit center. It will keep in place its existing products but not add to them, either in hardware or software or features.

the squeezebox has seen its day in the sun and now it is in the twilight. why? because since it came into existence, we now have plenty of alternate means to listen to music. E.g. airplay on the apple platform and bluetooth on all platforms. Just enable bluetooth on your cellphone (ios or android) or iPad and any bluetooth enabled speaker (including bluetooth speakers from Logitech) will play in great fidelity.

Why should Logitech spend money on adding features to Squeezebox when all you have to do is add your own favorite app to your cellphone or iPad and beam that via bluetooth to your own hifi speakers? Logitech's ecosystem for Squeezebox can't compete with that.

That is why when Mediafly stopped working with Squeezebox that there is no replacement. A competing service, Stitcher, contacted Logitech to be the replacement. But Logitech wasn't interested. In fact, Logitech wasn't even interested in responding to posts at all on the subject. Logitech just ignores the issue.

Comment

• JJZolx
                        • Apr 2005

Is there a question in there?

I think you're right about why the Squeezebox line has been largely abandoned by Logitech. It was never wildly successful, and it's been supplanted by many other easy ways to stream audio. Eight or ten years ago it was unique and filled a niche. Not so much today.

In the last few years of its life, the development focus was on many of these random streaming services that have popped up. It soon became apparent, though, that the success/usability of these services on the Squeezebox was largely dependent on their support for Squeezebox, and not the other way around. Pandora One, for instance, can be played on an iPhone, but not a Squeezebox. It was Pandora's conscious decision not put resources into supporting a platform that is dwarfed by others.

Comment

• Mnyb
                          • Feb 2006

"these random streaming services that have popped up" pretty much describes the market as it is and they keep popping up all the time ?
                          The real problem here is still the media market trying to find a working business model (free music for everyone is not it ) .
                          So some random venture capitalist tries something putting money in some service that be around a while and then slowly dies to later be forgotten .

But it must be frustrating for any smaller project with limited resources to be "running to stand still" just to keep up, instead of using these resources to develop something.

Now rdio tomorrow what ?

And yes apple and andriod have hit pay dirt here , but these devices are so multipurpose and widespread so a very large market for apps .
                          Everyone has one so why not use for music too ?

Here squeezebox advantage is it's disadvantage at the same time , it is a single purpose music and internet radio device and would not coincidentally be in everyone's pocket .
                          As a music machine it is better at it (imho) but that's actually a niche the whole music only hardware idea is a niche these days .

Everyone plays music on a device who main purpose is something else or a multi purpose device, I have a home theater it is also for TV dvd/blueray/games .
                          I sometimes listen on my computer or phone .
                          I think that for the average person music will be purely software in the future an add on to something else , like dlna in the TV ?
                          You just add music to what ever device you have ?

I have an iPad at home and next time my work cell phone breaks down my employer would place an iPhone 4 or an Experia on my table whether I want it or not ,
                          I would of-course investigate a number useful apps for it now that i got it ?
                          --------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
                          Bedroom/Office: Boom
                          Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
                          Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
                          iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
                          (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
                          server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Comment

• ButC
                            • Sep 2012

Now Rdio starts Select. No limits in streaming artists, radio, skips. No ads. 320 kbit. The only limitation is 25 offline songs a day. All for 3.99 usd. Would be great seeing it in Ickstream.
                            //Johan

Windows 10
                            Logitech Media Server Version: 8.3.0 - 1666760196 @ Wed Oct 26 07:17:03 WEDT 2022
                            Local Player Plugin (Squeezelite)
                            Intel Compute Stick M3

Comment

• pippin
                              • Oct 2007

Please let them know that, too.
                              ---
                              learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
                              Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
                              at penguinlovesmusic.com
                              New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Comment

Working...