Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
    Hi SqueezePad Early Adopters

I'm very enthusiastic that you seem to like the App and didn't find any severe issues yet.
    Thanks a lot for all your valueable input that I'll comment on in this posting.

In the meantime I set up a bug-tracking system (www.stagessound.de/squeezepad) where you can see progress on different parts and have a preview on fixed issues of the next version.

The following issues are fixed in version v1.2.0 already submitted to Apple for review. This typically takes about 10 days currently.

- There seems to be some issues with the Custom Browse menus regarding album art that isn't perfect yet, have to investigate a bit more what differs compared to SqueezePlay and iPeng. I really happy they are working as good as they are though. The problem I saw was that I got album cover icons on track level but it showed the default album cover and not the real one. The standard browse menu track menus doesn't contain any album cover.
    - Is there some way to show current playlist ?
    - I cant find the current playlist
    - In long alphabetized lists it would be handy to be able to jump to a given letter, as you can in the iPhone's iPod app.
    - an Index as scrolling bar, for fast jumping to letters (like iPhone adressbook, a..b..c..d..)
    I added a playlist menu item in the 'my music' menu. Its the menu you know from the Squeezebox Touch.
    Also in album and artists menu (and all other that provide index information) you'll get section headers and a ribbon for fast navigation to any place you like. Along with this there will be support for context menu (i.e. for basic playlist management). The context menus also give access to many of the features from erlands plugins.

I'll try to address the following issues in a v1.2.1 release.

- Ah, and could you add support for authentication?
    - Would be great to have a "back" button on the navigation menu, will make it more similar to other apps. I realized pretty fast that I have to be able to slide back but making the title as a back button can't hurt. I also think it would be a bit user friendly as sliding back sometimes misses, especially in lists which can be scrolled vertically.
    - I agree about providing an arrow for moving back on menus, as suggested before. The backwards swipe is not so obvious because the menu window doesn't move horizontally as you're starting to swipe. I like the behavior of the article window in Reeder, for example, where the window starts to move as you swipe back, but there's also a back arrow if you don't want to swipe at all.
    - Prevent display sleep when playing.
    - The volume slider can be adjusted on a player where the digital output is fixed at 100% (but the slider of course has no effect).
    - If you hit search but don't enter anything and then press the button to hide the keyboard, I think the menu should go back instead of forward.
    - Spotify plugin browsing is OK, but will not play on any of them.
    - Did I mention you can't change the alarm volume?
    I plan to finish this v1.2.1 release first week of august (so in two weeks). Add again 10 days for apples review and if everything works out it will come out around 19th of august. You can watch the progress of this release here: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad...p?version_id=1

Some comments though to the Back Button: I don't want to spoil the interface with too many buttons here and there (yet). I'll implement that tapping the menu-title will go one level up. Along with the swiping (which can be done on the title as well if one gets in trouble with the table scrolling) this should give enough options for easy navigation.

The following issues I put in the backlog for later evaluation so that I won't forget these things.
    All backlog items are tracked here: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad...p?version_id=2
    - Not too fond of using different font sizes in lists - kind of disturbs the clean user interface.
    - I'd love to have a portrait mode that showed big album cover and a bit larger text so it's visible from the couch 2-3 meters away.
    - Darker background (perhaps with a texture).
    - Oh - and please lose that gradient background for something solid or greyish (or make it user configurable)...
    - can i Change the Background in the Future? I would like black (like iPhoto)
    - I think it would be nice if the control buttons mirrored those of SqueezePlay. Whether or not you do this, it could behave like SqueezePlay and provide buttons for Shuffle and Repeat, except when using Pandora where these buttons are Thumbs Up and Thumbs Down, or when using Slacker where these buttons are Add Favorite and Remove Favorite. SqueezePlay also dims the Next and Shuffle buttons when there's only a single song in the playlist. The little "i" could go in the bar across the top to make room.
    Just one further comment: Shuffle + Repeat options are available in the settings-menu already. But having extra icons of course would be a nice to add.

For some reasons most Albums on Napster have no content. Some do.
    This is with SBS 7.5
    Does SqueezePlay show the album art ? If yes and SqueezePad lacks the album art, can you get my the cometd-log of the respective menu ?
    Tracked with this issue: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/view.php?id=4

And speaking of SqueezePlay again, it has icons for the top-level menu items that perhaps you could use.
    Currently (unfortunately) that's not possible. The images are copyrighted by logitech (and cannot be downloaded 'on the fly' from the server). Licensing of SqueezePlay currently demands to ask for written permission by logitech I might try that some time.

Finally: I started a poll for the next bigger features - don't forget to vote ! http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=80575
    Last edited by bluegaspode; 2010-07-20 at 15:37.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

I can't seem to get it to connect to the server. I'm using 7.5.1 on Windows 7 64 bit. The IP is 192.168.1.108:9000. I enter the IP in click on done and get a "SqueezeboxServer disconnected" flashing message.

-----------
    Never working now. I guess it needed to be restarted
    Last edited by rocketdmc; 2010-07-20 at 14:59. Reason: Cockpit error
    Dave
    Boom ~ Radio ~ Classic ~ Controller ~ Receiver

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    Does SqueezePlay show the album art ? If yes and SqueezePad lacks the album art, can you get my the cometd-log of the respective menu ?
    Tracked with this issue: http://www.stagessound.de/squeezepad/view.php?id=4
    Not art. Artwork is there, it's the content that's missing. If you open the album.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 7, the Universal App for iOS 7

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    Not art. Artwork is there, it's the content that's missing. If you open the album.
    Strange. I don't have a napster account so I don't know how the server is generating the menu.
    For debugging purposes I'd need the
    - cometd-menu response for the album list
    - the cometd-request when you click an album
    - and as a reference the cometd request when you try the same album with squeezeplay.

Just attach the whole server log (with network.cometd-debugging enabled) and give me the album name as reference - i can figure out the rest myself I guess.
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

Just attach the whole server log (with network.cometd-debugging enabled) and give me the album name as reference - i can figure out the rest myself I guess.
    I can figure out the right data, that's not a problem.
    But I have to wait until I'm near a server I can use without authentication again, all my main ones use it and have to.
    Gimme a day or two.
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com

I'm pleased an alphabetic tab bar is on it's way. Could you implement a search control at the top of the lists like the one in the iPad Address Book?

Regards, Steve.

I bought the app today and cannot connect to my squeezebox server.

My IP is a local address (10.0.1.11) instead of the typical 192.xxx.xxx.xx and wonder if that's the problem.

I'm running Win XPx32 and Squeezeserver 7.5.1

Would really appreciate some help. I can use iPeng just fine (it doesn't even ask for IP addresses, it just finds the players on the network).

Thanks!

your ip shouldn't be the problem.
    Please try to contact your server with safari (from the iPad). Does it show the home page if you surf to 10.0.1.11:9000 ?

If not check the following:
    - is your iPad connected via Wifi right now (mine is dropping the WiFi connection every two hours, that's the main reason when I cannot connect). Guess this should improve with the new iPad firmware, which I didn't install yet
    - if your iPad is connected via 3G I guess it also can't connect to your local server - but you would find it with the safari trick mentioned above.
    - don't forget to configure the ip together with the port

Some additional enhancement requests. I know this list contains stuff that won't be implemented for a while and maybe never, I'm just posting it to give you some ideas how the application could be improved.

When viewing tracks for a compilation album, I would like to see the artist and not just the track name and number.

Is there any chance you can implement support for artist images ? I've used LastFM artist images in my Song Info plugin for a while and they seems to work pretty good. The LastFM API is XML based, so you can either call this directly from your application or you can use the JSON command provided by the Song Info plugin. Let me know if you want more information about the Song Info plugin interface and I'll provide you with the details. The Song Info images is available in the context menu of an artist if you like to test how good they are. On my Touch I'm currently using a Custom Clock screen saver that rotates around the LastFM artist images provided by LastFM for the current artist, makes the display a lot more interesting than just showing the the same album cover all the time.

When implementing the context menu, it would be great if it was possible to launch it for both artist, album and track on the currently playing track. You might already have implemented this in the 1.2.0 version, I'm just mention it in case you haven't.

It would be great to have some quick way to get to the top level menu or as an alternative have toolbar buttons to access the most important menus but that might clutter the interface a bit.

Viewing large images through Michael's Picture Gallery plugin doesn't seem to work, it's just sitting there and trying to load the image for ever. The thumbnails in the parent menu did work.

I wonder if would be nicer if the disconnected server disclaimer was some kind of screen saver screen instead of that big disclaimer, maybe just a big clock ? The case I'm thinking of is a server that likes to hibernate/suspend when it isn't used. I'm not even sure if this will work, maybe it won't even suspend if SqueezePad is connected to it ?

I'm not sure if you want to support this but I'm mention it just in case. The TrackStat menus provides three rows of data, only the two upper rows are shown, the play count row is never shown. Of course, this menu really only looks nice on iPeng today, it looks pretty bad on SqueezePlay which tries to display all three rows but uses too large font.

Ideally, I would like a global search feature accessible from a magnifying glass icon somewhere on the screen, but I'm not sure how much implementation something like that requires. One search string should find both artists, albums and tracks that matches the specified search criteria.

Cover flow. Besides the obvious use case to browse your albums this could probably also be used for point 2 (artist images) and point 5 (Picture Gallery plugin) and point 12 (Flickr) mentioned elsewhere in this list.

A album wall that displays all albums as small icons, similar as the the "Large Artwork" display option in the Albums menu in the SBS web interface.

Fast access to favorites/presets or whatever they are called these days. This might be less important if point 4 described above is implemented since the "Favorites" menu is available in the top level menu.

The "My Apps/Flickr" isn't able to display large images, nothing happens when you click on a thumbnail image.

It feels like I would like to be able to hide the menu and use that screen space for something else when using SqueezePad in "screen saver mode" when it's sitting in the docking station and isn't used for selecting new music. Maybe displaying song lyrics, album reviews or artist biography or just use it to display the artist, album and track title with a bit larger font. Song lyrics, album reviews and biography are available through third party plugins (Song Lyrics, Album Review, Biography) so I'm not sure if you like to avoid integrating to tight with third party stuff. I'm basically just mention this since the menu part of the screen often feels pretty useless when the iPad isn't used for selecting new music.

When long text is displayed it shortens them with a "..." in the middle, would be great if there was some way to display the complete text.

Server auto detection similar to what I believe iPeng supports would be nice, will probably avoid some questions from non technical users who just have plugged in their computer and Squeezebox on their network and have no idea what an IP address is. Showing a list of available servers with the possibility to specify one manually should make it a lot easier for these users.

A screen saver mode where you can configure what information to show would be really great, maybe implementing something that supports the Custom Clock configuration or something similar. I've actually though about doing something like this myself but I'm not sure how useful it would be as a standalone application without the possibility to also browse your library.

I think the other stuff I've been thinking of already has been mentioned.

Once again, I really love SqueezePad and I'm really impressed by your work, as soon as a release with the context menus and Spotify play command is available it's going to be my preferred way of controlling my Squeezeboxes. The only problem now is that I've realized that some of my album covers doesn't have enough resolution to look as good as they could.

I'm sorry about this pippin, but viewing my Squeezebox library on the large iPad screen in high resolution beats the current low resolution iPeng app even if iPeng has a bit more features. However, my hope is that we will soon see some competition ;-)

bluegaspode, if you need help to support something by adding some third party stuff on the server side, just let me know.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Strange. I don't have a napster account so I don't know how the server is generating the menu.
    For debugging purposes I'd need the
    - cometd-menu response for the album list
    - the cometd-request when you click an album
    - and as a reference the cometd request when you try the same album with squeezeplay.

Looks that server was a beta and pointed to test.mysb.com so Michael's assumption applies
    ---
    at penguinlovesmusic.com