Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME (music) PLAYER

Like many of you, I was excited at the prospect of buy a Touch for some time. And like some, my interest is primarily in connecting it to an external hard drive, rather than to a wireless computer-based system. Convenience, high fidelity, and stylish, affordable package - the Touch seemed to offer it all.

However, after reading the many threads on this forum with informative posts from beta-testers and other folks with the technical know-how to understand what's going wrong and why, I can't see myself buying a Touch now, or in the near future. Even with the many delays due to software development, I get the feeling that the Touch is far from ready to provide a reliable and enjoyable experience to someone like me who knows good sound, but who lacks the technical knowledge to identify and fix bugs, or who has $1000-2000 to purchase a more sophisticated alternative (if there is one).

Sorry to be such a party-pooper. I really wanted a Touch-EHD component to add to my modest but great-sounding stereo system, but with all I've read here from you guys, I think a purchase now would just lead to disappointment.

Please, if you have the time and the interest, share your thoughts on my dilemma. Am I being realistic or a worry-wart? What would you do in my situation? Are there other considerations that I'm not aware of. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by iwannatouch View Post
    Please, if you have the time and the interest, share your thoughts on my dilemma. Am I being realistic or a worry-wart? What would you do in my situation? Are there other considerations that I'm not aware of. Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated.
    Depending on how you plan on using the Touch, you may be in the worry-wart category.

I've had my Touch working in my system for a month and a half now as a replacement for by SB3 (Classic) and it works excellently as a player for my existing Squeezebox server system. The sound quality of the Touch by itself was so good that I chose to sell my external Lavry DAC.

So, just used as a player with an external server, I don't know they have much tweaking left to do.

The knotty part is if you wish to use the Touch's internal server. In following the threads (and doing a bit of experimenting myself), this is where more work is needed if you plan on using a large external USB drive directly plugged into the Touch.

However, even in that situation, not everyone has a problem. Keep in mind that Logitech has a 30 day return policy. If you're serious about wanting a Touch, why not just try it out yourself?

Wink I know the feeling

I know exactly how you feel BUT I can assure you ... you wont be disappointed if you purchased a Touch. TRUE: don't expect instant gratification with a stand alone Touch/HDD player. You'll be happy enough with a USB stick and/or an SD card with sufficient music storage for the time being. At least until Logitech gets the "big library of music on a USB HDD" settled. I guess SOME have had luck with an attached hard drive, but I haven't.

THREE MORE THINGS:
    As expected the sound quality is superb...
    I was like you...
    I haven't repented of my purchase...

No, you're not being a worry wart(!), but your concerns are valid. I, too, am very disappointed with things as they stand, and I have spent half a grand on two SBTs with the initial expectations that they would do what they say on the tin -- or rather what the website wording states. They don't, and my initial posts were met with disdain by several on the forum when I mentioned consumer regulations in the UK, designed primarily to protect consumers from companies selling products that are not fit for purpose and/or do not perform according to how they are described on the vending website.

In fact, I bet if we were to conduct a poll among SBT users on here, as to whether they are satisfied with their purchase / whether the SBT does what they expected it to / whether the SBT performs all features as expected, we'd get a mixture of responses.

So, yes, I would hold off on getting one, at least until the developers have sorted out the firmware and have addressed the numerous problematic issues detailed herein, which seem mostly associated with HDD recognition / reliabile connectivity issues. Anyone who says this is nonsense -- well, just read the numerous posts to this effect.

If I know someone personally who is looking to buy a media streamer / network music player that purports to do what the website states, in this case, and I quote verbatim from Logitech's website: "You can access music and pictures stored on flash drives and memory cards." and "It doesnĺt matter if your library includes 100 tracks or 100,000." -- well, I can't simply recommend it with the software in its current incarnation, again based on both my experience and that of other users.

Would you buy a car, knowing that some owners have had to return that same model to the garage / go on a car-user forum / call customer support to get it to work reliably, because it drove fine for 100 miles, but then stopped working?

Cheers, and spend your money wisely!

I'm not discounting anyone's problems here, but just to report some alternative info: My brother purchased a TOUCH (his first SB product). I walked him through setup over the phone. Within about 15 minutes, he had it up and running with updated firmware, etc. He is using the internal "tinySC" with an attached harddrive (not sure what it is, but a 3 year or so old, separately powered 500GB harddrive with about 54,000 mp3/aac tracks). I had him let the drive scan overnight. As of the next morning, he's been using the Touch 24/7 with the attached drive, running tinySC, and also listening to Pandora and various internet radio. He's reported zero issues over the last 3 weeks. He's running 7.5 software and is connecting with WIFI (about 70% signal).

To him this is all just magic. He probably would have been fine setting it up without my help. The only things I really had him do that he wouldn't have known, was to (1) move his router slightly (that increased his wifi strength from about 45 to 70) and (2) NOT TOUCH ANYTHING OR USE THE PLAYER until it had a chance to do a full music scan off the USB drive.

If you must restrict yourself to the Touch's inbuilt server (particularly with a large music collection) then I'd say your reluctance is valid.

If, on the other hand, you are willing to use the Touch with SBS on your computer then I would not hesitate.

Quote Originally Posted by toby10 View Post
    If, on the other hand, you are willing to use the Touch with SBS on your computer then I would not hesitate.
    Very much agree. Wired ethernet with SBS on computer works great! I am running wired to router, SBS on computer, happily streaming 24bit 96kHz FLACs (transcode to PCM on server). Can't comment on TinySC tho'

Quote Originally Posted by iwannatouch View Post
    ...or who has $1000-2000 to purchase a more sophisticated alternative (if there is one).
    Well, I'm happy with the Touch, but there are many Digital Streaming players. For High-End, take a look at Linn. (great company, I have one of their LP-12 turntables)
    Tony
     SBTouch ♪ SBRadio ♬

I think the complaints are related to three different things:
    1. People that try to use the built-in server with a medium or large library
    2. People that relies on MySB.com central server
    3. People that have used the large fonts on SB3/Classic and can't see the text on the Touch because it's visibility from a distance isn't as good as a SB3/Classic

If you don't fall into one of the above categories, I can strongly recommend you to get the Touch. It's definitely the best Squeezebox that has ever been in my home and I also have a Classic, Boom, Duet and Radio. However, if you fall in one of the above mentioned categories, I would be very careful to get the Touch at the moment. It's probably better to let the software mature a bit more if you need the built-in server or relies on MySB.com.

If you have some specific feature which is required for your happiness, it might be worth to verify if it exists on the Touch. There are still a few features on Classic/Boom/Transporter that doesn't exist on the Touch.

The firmware doesn't have as high quality as Classic yet, but as long as you have a separate computer with Squeezebox Server and doesn't have some unusual setup, I wouldn't worry about that. Honestly, I can't think of any bug that distrubs on my music listening experience.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony T View Post
    Well, I'm happy with the Touch, but there are many Digital Streaming players. For High-End, take a look at Linn. (great company, I have one of their LP-12 turntables)
    Doesn't Linn get a lot of complains for their software ?
    I've got the impression that many Linn users use the SkweezyDs plugin to make it possible to use Squeezebox Server as server solution ?

I don't have any facts regarding this, it's just the feeling I've got, so it might be completely incorrect.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.