Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonWill
    • Sep 2008

Slow to start

I have a second hand Boom which is making me very happy ... apart from a reasonably frequent slowness in starting up. When I try and get the Boom to play internet radio to me at breakfast time, it can take many seconds to start up - I normally resort to pressing random buttons, or turning it off and on. However, on other occasions it starts instantly.

Is this due to waking up SBS on my NAS - if I haven't been using SBS all day, (or if, as in the morning scenario, my NAS has just kicked in) is there some latency here? Or is it a function of a slow NAS? Or should I do a factory reset on my Boom. Interestingly, I don't see the same lag on my Classic, although I don't use it in the morning ...

Any help/ thoughts gratefully received.

Jon
    Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
    SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
    SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
    SB Radio
    LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
    Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One
  • klingborg
    • May 2010

Do you connect it wirelessly? Is the wi-fi signal strong enough where this second device is located? Same wi-fi strength of the other device that works OK?

Comment

• JonWill
      • Sep 2008

Yes, connectg wirelessly, and signal is strong where the Boom is - actually marginally closer to the router - a good 4-5 meters away ...
      Main system: SB Touch, Arcam A85, Tannoy V4i speakers
      SB Classic into JVC R-1XL Stereo Receiver and JPW bookshelf speakers (an Ebay/ Freecycle set up!)
      SB Boom, Logitech Z4 subwoofer
      SB Radio
      LMS 7.8.0 running on WHS 2011 on a HP Prolaint Microserver
      Orange Squeeze/ Squeeze Commander on Google Nexus 7 and HTC One

Comment

• toby10
        • Jul 2007

I'd guess the NAS plus waking the NAS.

I'd try two things to test this:
        1. Try waking the NAS with the SB3, see if it seems to exhibit the slowness
        2. Then try powering on Boom after NAS has been woken by SB3, see if it connects quickly

I don't use a NAS but my WiFi Boom is playing a station in about 5 seconds from power up connecting to either SBS on XP or MySB.

Comment

Working...