Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

KFI 640 AM Los Angeles

I would like to know if some one with a Squeezebox Radio the $199 retail one,
    could try to tune in KFI 640 AM Los Angeles and tell me if you can get it.
    I do not want it to go through the squeezebox server. I would like to know
    if you can get it through mysqueezebox.com They have changed the Stream to AAC
    and my Squeezebox boom will not play it through my squeezebox.com. It will
    how ever play it through the squeezebox server. If the Squeezebox Radio
    the $199 retail one works I will buy it.
    Thanks

Unhappy Apparently, not at this time.

It's not available from the search I conducted, and I can't access it through my Radio Time presets.

The Specs for the radio list:

* Support for MP3, Ogg Vorbis, AAC and WMA formatted Internet radio streams

Hmmm. This is disappointing.

Kfi 640

I just returned 2 squeeze box booms to Best Buy 3 days ago and returning one Monday to Amazon. The problem is as far as I know is that the Boom will not play AAC without the computer on using Squeezebox server. This defeats the purpose of having the radio. I was hoping the Squeeze box radio would work but apparently according to you it won't. This is a shame because it is just a matter of time when all the stations go to AAC. Europe is already starting to change and here in the US they are also. A real shame.

The issue is not Radio is unable to play AAC streams - it can play HTTP AAC streams such as those from SomaFM.

The problem is with station which have decided to use Flash players which have the audio stream embedded in Flash. These streams (the format can be AAC or MP3) cannot be played without a special player. These Flash based streams cannot be played by any Internet Radio device not just the Logitech devices. The changeover to Flash based players ios mainly in the US by Clear Channel and Stream The world. Europe based streams still tend to use HTTP and are playable on Radio.

If these streams can be played on an iTouch/iPod/iPhone then there is a hidden URL which can also be used by a SB player to play the stream. This hidden URL is an alternative to the Flash based stream.

KFI appears to only have an AACplus stream, so will work on Radio/Touch but does require SBS for older players.

As a test the following URL for KFI works on Radio using MySB
    Code:
    http://kfi-am.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/121/19771/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kfi-am

Kfi 640 am

After doing some more investigating, I found out that radios that are using Reciva.com will get the signal without a problem. Logitech uses radiotime.com
    It might have something with the licensing agreements that allow one vs the other company to have it or maybe lack of updating. I have no idea.

It is not a licence issue

See the earlier posts from AndyG (of Logitech) and bpa (of all sorts of internet radio things).

This is the link that RadioTime presents
    http://kfi-am.akacast.akamaistream.n...eam.net/kfi-am
    and is the same as bpa gave.

AndyG says the SB Radio and Touch can support it natively (without local sever) i.e. Boom does not have the necessary firmware.

However, as a thought ... an AAC+ is supposed to allow playing by non-AAC+ aware devices (it sounds worse - but should work).
    So - something is not right. Have been working on trying to get this resolved elsewhere as well (e.g. some devices playing StreamTheWorld AAC+ content).

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    However, as a thought ... an AAC+ is supposed to allow playing by non-AAC+ aware devices (it sounds worse - but should work).
    So - something is not right. Have been working on trying to get this resolved elsewhere as well (e.g. some devices playing StreamTheWorld AAC+ content).
    Not right - if the player does not support AAC+ - an AAC/AAC+ will not play at all. AAC+ is not MP3 or WMA with additions. There are sound quality/encosing option within AAC+ which are used depending on bit rate. In practive, this means above a specific bit rate usually the AAC+ options are not used and the stream is just AAC.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Not right - if the player does not support AAC+ - an AAC/AAC+ will not play at all. AAC+ is not MP3 or WMA with additions. There are sound quality/encosing option within AAC+ which are used depending on bit rate. In practive, this means above a specific bit rate usually the AAC+ options are not used and the stream is just AAC.
    Looks like I should have been clearer in my wording.
    I know that AAC+ is not based on WMA or MP3.
    by "non AAC+" I was trying to differentiate between something that can play AAC but not aacPlus.
    aacPlus was designed to be forward compatible - so that something that is able to play AAC would be able to play aacPlus but without access to the "+" bits (by discarding the ancilliary data area that holds SBR and PS information).
    i.e. it would play at a lower quality
    (although the Via Licensing pages seem to have ignored that)

Manufacturers that bought AAC license prior to aacPlus existance have to buy a new license to allow them to get the richer content.
    http://www.vialicensing.com/licensin...AQ.cfm?faq=7#7