Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Unhappy Got the touch but why this random...(multiple issues)

So I finally got the long awaited touch and my high expectations have not really been totally fulfilled (although overall it's a very decent product).

Issues encountered after a few days of ownership:

- When it's in standby and shows the clock it is not always correct? It seems to show +1 hour sometimes (correct to the second otherwise)? Killing power fixes this...sometimes. Arrg, really random bug - and as I don't want to be an hour late for work I can't rely on using it to wake me up Time-zone is correct (GMT+1). Any ideas how to fix it?

- Sometimes it gets stuck playing a music file and will just skip back and forth within the file playing 10-15secs but never finish - its random what file it happens on and after a reboot it works fine. I've connected to reciever by coax. (Makes for a very NOT impressive demonstration to friends...)

- Sometimes (notice a pattern?) I cannot put it into standby mode - it just says the "dud" sound and the animation of pushing the power button is shown but nothing happens! Doesn't matter if I touch the touch or use the remote. Pulling the plug solves it.

Should I install a switch on the power cord? It seems I will reboot this system very often (beta anyone?). Or is my touch broken?

And a real disappointment:
    It seems I cannot use the touch to play local music without having a wireless network available? Is this correct?

I've tried searching this forum but couldn't find anyone else with these issues. Really appreciate any comments/help? I may just be too stupid with this thing

Best,

Z

Are you by any chance running off a USB drive connected to the Touch rather than being connected to a server on a computer?

Many of your issues sound like what happens when the Touch is not connected to any server. Without details my guess is that your server is dying which is causing the problems and why rebooting helps.

If you could give us a some more detailed information about your setup we could help better. Such as:

Are you running an external server, or plugging a USB drive to the Touch?
    If using a drive, what is it, how big is it, is it bus powered or external powered, how many songs are on the drive, do you have a USB hub between the Touch and drive. What formatting is the drive using (NTFS, FAT32, EXT3 etc)

Do you have an SD card plugged in?

Are you using the slideshow function?

Are you using an "animated" now playing screen (the VU meters or spectrum analyzer)?

What type of files do you have? (WAV, MP3, FLAC etc)

Any other information about your setup and what is happening (it always on a certain song, or after playing for two hours or whatever)

John S.

I have a completely standard western digital 160gb passport (2Ż") connected by usb. Maybe 500 songs in mp3 (havn't started ripping my cd collection to flac but plan on it when I have a bit more time). No SD card, no animation or slideshow (haven't toyed with this yet).

Can this really be the issue? I am a bit worried for the future of the device, I thought it was aimed at average Joe? :|

The "power button" doesn't actually turn the power off, all it does is stop any playing music and bring up the "OFF" screensaver. You have many different choices for the OFF screensaver including a full screen off.

There is a bug in the touch which prevents the off screensaver from starting when you don't have a server connected (external or internal). So it sounds like you are trying to push the power button when the drive is not connected or when the server has died.

Please see my post in this thread for a sequence that seems to work well:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=78386

With such a small number of songs the scanning process should be very quick on your drive.

If this doesn't work come back and we can dive in some more.

John S.

Song repeats then ST reboots

I've had multiple issues using a 320 Gbyte USB drive and running the server on ST.

Most recently I found the ST would get stuck playing the same first 20 sec of a song about 10 times until it finally rebooted itself. This has happened twice.

I've also had issues with it not connecting reliably to the USB drive and very slow response times using the GUI. It can take a few minutes just to start to play a song. The funny thing is at other times it seems to work fairly well.

Memory is reported as 76% used, I have about 30k files (220 Gbyte).

Got the touch but why thisrandom...(multiple issues)

I've had multiple issues using a 320 Gbyte USB drive and running the
    server on ST.

Most recently I found the ST would get stuck playing the same first 20
    sec of a song about 10 times until it finally rebooted itself. This has
    happened twice.

I've also had issues with it not connecting reliably to the USB drive
    and very slow response times using the GUI. It can take a few minutes
    just to start to play a song. The funny thing is at other times it
    seems to work fairly well.

Memory is reported as 76% used, I have about 30k files (220 Gbyte).

--
    RichardLittlewood
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    RichardLittlewood's Profile: http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?userid=37668
    View this thread: http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=78335

Quote Originally Posted by Zlipknot View Post

And a real disappointment:
    It seems I cannot use the touch to play local music without having a wireless network available? Is this correct?

Z
    anyone able to answer his question?

Yes the Touch can work fine stand alone, once you have done the initial firmware update.

I think many of the problems people are seeing is caused by the server going belly up, when this happens it tries to find a server on the network and gets rather frantic if it can't find a server to connect to.

Why does the server die? The most likely cause is that music is trying to be played while the scanning is still happening. This can easily push the system over the edge and kill the server.

A frequent cause of this is having the drive plugged in when powering up the Touch. When this is done a scan automatically starts, but it doesn't give ANY indication that this is happening, there is no way to tell if its running or not.

The best way around this is to ALWAYS plug the drive in after the Touch is booted and up and running, this will start the server and give the option to observe whats happening. This way you can tell when the scan is done.

The very first time you plug in the drive it will do a full scan which can take a LONG time. Once that is successfully completed each subsequent attachment of the drive will do a quick scan looking for new files. On a large collection with a lot of files that might take 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure not to try and do anything with the Touch while its still scanning.

If the "quick" scan is taking longer than 45 minutes there is a very good chance the database is corrupted. In this case you should stop the server and do a wipe and rescan. This deletes the database and starts over.

If you have successfully completed the full scan, ejected the drive, disconnected the drive, disconnected power to the Touch, powered back up, connected the drive, waited for the scan to complete and you are STILL having problems then we can go into details about your system and exactly what you are doing and what you are seeing.

John S.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSwenson View Post
    The very first time you plug in the drive it will do a full scan which can take a LONG time. Once that is successfully completed each subsequent attachment of the drive will do a quick scan looking for new files. On a large collection with a lot of files that might take 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure not to try and do anything with the Touch while its still scanning.
    A 15 or 20 minute wait on power up before one can play music pretty much makes the Touch rather useless as a stand alone server if the user wants USB drive powered off when he's not listening.

I bought my Touch to use as a player for my existing Squeezebox music server system. It has worked quite well in that capacity (though it's had a few flaky moments that are reminiscent of the early Duet) so I'm pretty happy.

However, out of curiosity, I gave the Touch stand alone server three solid tries with two different external USB drives and never did get satisfactory results. If I'd bought the Touch solely for use in that capacity, I'd be very disappointed - that option is way too erratic for me.

Maybe the word is touchy....

Quote Originally Posted by mlsstl View Post
    A 15 or 20 minute wait on power up before one can play music pretty much makes the Touch rather useless as a stand alone server if the user wants USB drive powered off when he's not listening.
    Hmmm, I think the waiting 20 minutes is not if the USB drive turns itself off, but rather if it is detached then reattached. I have a touch, but run it off my main SbS rather than using tinySbS. But I can say I had my brother buy a TOUCH. He knows nothing about any of this stuff. Over the phone, I walked him through setting it up for the first time, updating firmware, adding mysb.com credentials, etc. Then I had him attach his USB drive (with about 50,000+ tracks) and told him to let it scan overnight before he touched it again. He followed these instructions and has been using it for about 2 weeks now with no issues at all. His USB drive (which is a 1TB, 3 or 4 years old, and has its own power supply) stays attached, but does go into sleep mode when not accessed for a while. He has fairly instant access to his music when coming back from "sleep" mode.