Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thumbs down And Now The Touch?

After the disaster known as the Squeezebox Duet why would anyone get a Touch? To go thru the same troubles all over again? No thanks to the power of ten....

Quote Originally Posted by notec View Post
    After the disaster known as the Squeezebox Duet why would anyone get a Touch? To go thru the same troubles all over again? No thanks to the power of ten....
    For one, they're not remotely similar in the way they're set up or in the way they operate.

Thumbs up ^10 from me, superb device (and not just for the money)
    Gronda Gronda

SBT > Benchmark DAC1 > SimAudio Moon i5.3RS > PMC OB1i

Strange, I'm using my Duet for somewhat two years now, moved twice, had every server version between 7.2 and 7.5 (except 7.4.x) on 4 machines with 5 different OS configurations, 5 different network setups and 3 different routers (3 different i-net providers and some weeks in between without i-net), and had no problems so far. But maybe I'm just lucky...
    SC 7.6.1 on QNAP TS-219P, 37k mp3, Duet / Boom / Radio
    last.fm

I can understand the sentiment toward the Duet, but it's not warrented toward the Touch. I own both and can say that from direct experience.

Setting up the Touch was as easy as it was to set up my SB3. Actually, it's easier because the Touch interface gives you a virtual keyboard to use to enter usernames and passwords, which is a lot easier to use than the remote.

The Duet has come a long way since it was initially released. It has had taken time to stabilize, but it has. Given that both the Duet (controller specifically) and Touch are based on the SqueezeOS architecture, the Touch has benefited from the maturity of the Duet.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

First, I have a Duet and it works fine. The initial software/firmware for the controller was a bit flaky but was fixed in subsequent versions. I haven't had any significant issues for quite some time.

Second, the Touch's release was intentionally delayed to minimize those types of issues. I've had mine running in my system for 12 days now.

Of course, no product ever made by any company is going to work perfectly for everyone. It is simply impossible for a computer products company to anticipate and test for every single possible variable in computers, operating systems & software installation, wireless routers and so on.

If you look back through the forum archives, you'll find people who had difficulty with the earliest Squeezebox models. Those who wish to pretend there were no issues with the SB Classic and prior models are simply choosing to remain willfully ignorant.

If you look at the OP's past posts you see a trend of being pretty negative.

Touch is good release and a very good product ? it has some issues ofcourse.
    But works right out of the box for most users.
    This is a much better than the initial Duet debacle.

Kudos to Logitech for getting closer the goal regarding smooth releases ( from customer perspective )
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If you don't own a Touch, keep your undocumented and false statements to yourself!

After the disaster known as the Squeezebox Duet why would anyone get a Touch? To go thru the same troubles all over again?
    First off your opening statement is completely false and untrue. The Duet was not a disaster. I have two of them and they have worked flawlessly for years. Is the Duet WiFi Network sensitive, in my opinion it is. Ninety-five precent of all issues with the Duet can be traced back to an improperly setup WiFi Network or one that has interference or is performing poorly. This is in no way Logitech's fault or the Duet's for that matter. It is directly related to the fact that the complaining owner will not take the time or do what is necessary to resolve his own WiFi issue which is at the root of the problem. Just because a laptop works OK on a WiFi network doesn't mean that network is healthy and properly setup. Downloading Email and Webpages on a bad WiFi Network will still work without showing major problems, attempting to stream real time audio is a completely different story.

Second, as others have already pointed out, the Touch basically has nothing in common with the Duet. The Touch can more closely be related to the SB3 IE it is the SB4, the SB3s replacement. Yes it is a smart device where the SB3 was a dumb device, but the Touch in no way is trying to do what a Duet does or is it the replacement for the Duet.

More importantly, I would be willing to bet that you don't own a Touch so you have no idea what you are talking about and more over are again making statements from no point in fact!

You sir are nothing but a Troll since you obviously don't even own a Touch and have no way to make any comparisons much less objective factual statements. How about growing a brain and checking the Forum before you type. Are there any other posts comparing the Touch to the Duet? I will save you some time, there are not. The postings and feedback on the Touch are overwhelmingly positive! Is it perfect and will even do the dishes, it will not. Is it for everybody, again it is not. Is it a great addition to the Squeezebox line of products? It is and again the postings and feedback point this out!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: Duet, Mac Mini
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Is the Duet WiFi Network sensitive, in my opinion it is. Ninety-five precent of all issues with the Duet can be traced back to an improperly setup WiFi Network or one that has interference or is performing poorly. This is in no way Logitech's fault or the Duet's for that matter. It is directly related to the fact that the complaining owner will not take the time or do what is necessary to resolve his own WiFi issue which is at the root of the problem. Just because a laptop works OK on a WiFi network doesn't mean that network is healthy and properly setup. Downloading Email and Webpages on a bad WiFi Network will still work without showing major problems, attempting to stream real time audio is a completely different story.

You sir are nothing but a Troll
    Exactly, You have to take your time to learn something sometimes, for example how does my network really work is that so hard to do ?
    Re networking some users also cheap out on very bad "broadband" deals with very low speeds and a lot of throttling etc.
    So the ISP is crap but they still blame the Squeezebox when they get no internet radio.
    If you want to use internet get a good ISP.

Sadly he is good Troll, he provoked 9 post's from a vague negative and clueless post ? But it has o be met with some kind of response, hence sometimes you have to go with it

My duet has also worked for 2 years now initial setup was finicky for me, it have had it's period but always been usable and up for it when it's time for some music. It has some design limitations, but it's made to price piont so it's ok.
    But now I'm back to be impressed by my Touch

"And Now the Touch "
    Read the post carefully these are not you average users fiddling with it.
    Some like to plays 24/96 hirez with it.
    Some like to use the limited "Tiny" server with an 50000 track collections ?
    Or connect networks shares and whatnot's ?
    Demanding users with vocal opinions that are not Easy to please.

So it's not many average Joe's pleading for help with basic things that's not fits in with 95% category of flawed local network or internet conection.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Touch + CIA PS +MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Kitchen: Touch + powered Fostex PM0.4
    Misc use: Radio (with battery)
    iPad1 with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (in storage SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server HP proliant micro server N36L with ClearOS Linux

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html