Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pounce View Post
    While I could get NFS mounts working on the Touch I was unable to figure out how to trick it into using the mount instead of the usb or sd card. It balked at the format.
    I think you'll need to make your own shell script for starting TinySC; the normal Squeezebox Server menus on Touch will be worthless to you.

Check your NFS permissions. I haven't used NFS in years, but I recall that root@nfsclient has permissions of nobody@nfsserver -- you may need to use the maproot option on the NAS if you want it to host the cachedir. Alternately, put a fast SDHC card in Touch and use that for TinySC's cachedir.
    owner of the stuff that used to reside at http://www.tux.org/~peterw/
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

I have no_squash on the share.

I'm able to copy files from the locally attached usb drive to the nfs share from the Touch console so things look ok.

I haven't done this sort of thing in a while so I think it's just my ignorance of the workings of the server and os at this point.

How about putting in an (empty) SD card and then mounting the NFS share under the SD card path? Then the cache (library database and artwork cache) files will be local and (I would think) you shouldn't have to fiddle with the music folder path. If TinySC doesn't pick this up automatically, you can run a clear/rescan through settings.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    How about putting in an (empty) SD card and then mounting the NFS share under the SD card path? Then the cache (library database and artwork cache) files will be local and (I would think) you shouldn't have to fiddle with the music folder path. If TinySC doesn't pick this up automatically, you can run a clear/rescan through settings.
    That's exactly what I tried. I tried both the usb and sd. When I went to rescan the server just hung or I got an error indicating that the format was not supported.

I'm going to fiddle with it a little more. I'm still optimistic, but ignorant

I got this working. Not sure what was wrong before, but did a factory reset and then:

Inserted USB stick.

Mounted NFS share as /media/sda1

Stopped the server and did a wipe and rescan.

This seemed to work and allowed me to use the NFS mount for the built in server. I only used a few files to test it, but will try with a larger collection to validate the performance delta between an NSF share and local storage.

On the upside 24/96 -5 FLAC played from the share without skipping

If I'm reading this correctly, is it possible to use the internal SBS of the Touch to access an NFS share (say a USB device on my Netgear router), rather than connecting the USB drive to the Touch directly?

I guess the next question that I should ask is whether it's possible to have the Touch use a local usb stick or other to do its caching to keep the performance reasonable, but to access music files via the NFS share.

Is it only the mount command that needed modification?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyj View Post
    I guess the next question that I should ask is whether it's possible to have the Touch use a local usb stick or other to do its caching to keep the performance reasonable, but to access music files via the NFS share.

Is it only the mount command that needed modification?
    You could probably do something like mounting the NFS share onto an empty folder on the SD card. The 'base' of the filesystem would be the SD card, so the cache would live there.

I don't think performance would be all that hot, though, but better than purely using NFS.

(And unless you did a ton of hacking, you'd lose this mount whenever your SB rebooted...)

Quote Originally Posted by pounce View Post
    I have no_squash on the share.
    To access the music share I always export it with options like "all_squash,anongid=1000,anonuid=1000"
    This gives any user on any machine accessing the share the personality and rights of user 1000:1000. Even root aka 0:0 is mapped to 1000:1000.

Not particularly private, but very handy when accessing the share from multiple machines.
    Of course you have to make sure all files in the disk on the server properly belong to 1000:1000 (or xxx:1000 if you want to play with group rights) but from then on accesses should go smoothly from any client machine.

I don't have an SB Touch. I just happen to NFS mount my music.
    3 SB 3 • Libratone Loop, Zipp Mini • iPeng (iPhone + iPad) • LMS 7.9 (linux) with plugins: CD Player, WaveInput, Triode's BBC iPlayer by bpa • IRBlaster by Gwendesign (Felix) • Server Power Control by Gordon Harris • Smart Mix, Music Walk With Me, What Was That Tune? by Michael Herger • PowerSave by Jason Holtzapple • Song Info, Song Lyrics by Erland Isaksson • AirPlay Bridge by philippe_44 • WeatherTime by Martin Rehfeld • Auto Dim Display, SaverSwitcher, ContextMenu by Peter Watkins.

So how can I pull this off without having it lose the proper mount on a reboot?

As far as menu commands go, does this have to be handled in command line every time? Is there some way to make the NFS share show up as an available source?