Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142

Thread: RC (Inguz etc.)

Bob,

That information is extremely interesting and very useful - thank you for all your investigations.

I'm intrigued by your description of the Flatness control, in which I assume you are quoting Hugh Pyle ("Inguz").

It says "often a flat target can sound thin and, well, flat".

Many people (perhaps most) using DRC don't actually use flat targets but ones based to some degree on the B&K and similar curves, which are flat to 500Hz, 1000Hz, etc (depending on the curve) and then gently drop away, on the basis that these sound more subjectively "flat" than a flat target.

However, I suspect that isn't really what "flat" in the explanation of the Flatness control means.

My filters are generated by Acourate and the resulting sound, using Inguz DRC is anything but thin and "flat" - quite the opposite, the sound is full, even and with depth. But then it depends on what was meant by "flat" - dull?, smooth? lacking in depth? lifeless?

I suppose the sophistication of the software used to generate the DRC filters (together with the parameters used when generating the filters) are critical to the end result when using Inguz (or similar DRC "engines") and I am very happy indeed with the sound with the Flatness left at 10.

I find the Inguz DRC (together with the Acourate generated filters) is extremely worthwhile. We all have different approaches to these things but I only use the DRC functions and leave the other settings off, on the basis that very often "less is more".
    Touch, Meridian G92, Bryston B4 SST2, PMC OB1i speakers, HP Proliant Microserver/Ubuntu, PC/Windows 7, iPad 4, iPeng, Squeezepad.

Inguz Website

If anyone is interested attached is a zip file containing all of the Inguz web site pages and content from 2015 which I downloaded it from the 'Wayback Machine' one page at a time. The page URL links don't link through to the other pages so each page needs to be looked at individually but it may be useful.

Inguz Web Site.zip

Bob
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    1 x Boom
    1 x Intel-NUC server/squeezelite running LMS 7.91 on Windows 10
    1 X Odroid-XU4 server/squeezelite running LMS 7.91 on Ubuntu 16.04
    WaveIO USB into Lavry DA-10 DAC
    Starfish Pre-amp : Based on NAIM NAC 72
    Heavily modified NAIM NAP 250 Power-amp
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Linn Isobarik DMS

Quote Originally Posted by bobertuk View Post
    If anyone is interested attached is a zip file containing all of the Inguz web site pages and content from 2015 which I downloaded it from the 'Wayback Machine' one page at a time. The page URL links don't link through to the other pages so each page needs to be looked at individually but it may be useful.

Inguz Web Site.zip

Bob
    Hi bobertuk
    Thanks those pages really helped.
    Noticed you're using an XU4 with ubuntu 16.04, same here, would love to get inguz running on that setup but haven't had much luck. Did you manage to get it working on the XU4?
    I got the plugin installed with the web page control working and file types in LMS showing inguz but no sound unfortunately, I had assumed it might be because of the arm processor.

Quote Originally Posted by gegen View Post
    Hi bobertuk
    Thanks those pages really helped.
    Noticed you're using an XU4 with ubuntu 16.04, same here, would love to get inguz running on that setup but haven't had much luck. Did you manage to get it working on the XU4?
    I got the plugin installed with the web page control working and file types in LMS showing inguz but no sound unfortunately, I had assumed it might be because of the arm processor.
    Hi gegen,

Glad the pages helped. I tried getting Inguz to work on XU4 but like you could never get it going properly. I went on to try out Brutefir and got EQ working but could never get Room Correction working. In the end I went over to Intel-NUC with Windows 10 and Inguz works as intended with a few restrictions but nothing that prevents full use.
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    1 x Boom
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Linn Isobarik DMS

Hi gegen,

Glad the pages helped. I tried getting Inguz to work on XU4 but like you could never get it going properly. I went on to try out Brutefir and got EQ working but could never get Room Correction working. In the end I went over to Intel-NUC with Windows 10 and Inguz works as intended with a few restrictions but nothing that prevents full use.
    Thanks for the info, having done some further searching on various audio forums it would seem that the InguzDSP part of the plugin will not work with arm processors, shame.

Thanks for the info, having done some further searching on various audio forums it would seem that the InguzDSP part of the plugin will not work with arm processors, shame.
    Hoping someone is going to correct me on that one

Hoping someone is going to correct me on that one
    Well... not so much a correction but a possibility - which I haven't tried for Inguz. Have a look at...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ess+%2Bmusicip

Just in case the URL doesn't link correctly...
    Code:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106958-Success-MusicIP-and-Spicefly-Sugarcube-running-on-Raspberry-Pi&highlight=%2Bsuccess+%2Bmusicip
    It's a method for getting MusicIP to run on a RaspberryPi and with modifications other ARM boards - I had it running well on XU4. MusicIP is like Inguz in that it's Intel only. I tried at one time to get Inguz running on an Intel machine with Ubuntu but couldn't get it to work although I do know other forum members have been successful.

Maybe with a little work something similar to the MusicIP/ARM install will get Inguz to work on ARM.

Bob

PS
    I went from Ubuntu 16.04 on XU4 -> Windows 10 on Intel-NUC simply because of audio software availability. The Win 10 setup means I can use Inguz, MusicIP is much easier to use and is more flexible, and some audio software is only available for Windows. I found I was constantly switching between Ubuntu, macOS and Windows to do different things and it became a real pain! Its a shame because I like the XU4 and Ubuntu!
    Last edited by bobertuk; 2017-11-14 at 17:44.
    1 x Touch
    1 x Radio
    1 x Boom
    Behringer DEQ2496
    Linn Isobarik DMS

Well... not so much a correction but a possibility - which I haven't tried for Inguz. Have a look at...

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ess+%2Bmusicip

Just in case the URL doesn't link correctly...
    Code:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?106958-Success-MusicIP-and-Spicefly-Sugarcube-running-on-Raspberry-Pi&highlight=%2Bsuccess+%2Bmusicip
    It's a method for getting MusicIP to run on a RaspberryPi and with modifications other ARM boards - I had it running well on XU4. MusicIP is like Inguz in that it's Intel only. I tried at one time to get Inguz running on an Intel machine with Ubuntu but couldn't get it to work although I do know other forum members have been successful.

Maybe with a little work something similar to the MusicIP/ARM install will get Inguz to work on ARM.

Bob

PS
    I went from Ubuntu 16.04 on XU4 -> Windows 10 on Intel-NUC simply because of audio software availability. The Win 10 setup means I can use Inguz, MusicIP is much easier to use and is more flexible, and some audio software is only available for Windows. I found I was constantly switching between Ubuntu, macOS and Windows to do different things and it became a real pain! Its a shame because I like the XU4 and Ubuntu!
    Thanks very much Bob, got me on the trail again when I've got some time I'll "have a go" as they say and if successful will let you know.

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks very much Bob, got me on the trail again when I've got some time I'll "have a go" as they say and if successful will let you know.

Regards,

Mike.
    And absolutely the XU4 and LMS is a great solution if you can overcome the stuff you rightly point out.......superfast in my experience and super reliable.......months here without touching anything, just works.

Regards
    Last edited by gegen; 2017-11-15 at 13:49.