Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JJZolx
    • Apr 2005

Touch has no fixed volume setting

Unlike Squeezeboxes before it, there is no ability to set the output volume to be fixed at 100% on the Touch. Please vote for bug 14807.
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2010-04-08, 20:32.
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by JJZolx
    Unlike Squeezeboxes before it, there is no ability to set the output volume to be fixed at 100% on the Touch. Please vote for bug 14807.
    Agreed & voted. Touch also should have a way to turn of the IR remote sensor as well, like the SB3.

Comment

• Gazjam
      • Jul 2008

How does that go then for bit-perfect output from the Coax SPDIF?
      Will the digital volume still be "in circuit" and therefore teh output into my Dac NOT be bit-perfect?

ta.

Comment

• usch
        • Oct 2009

I presume when you set the volume to 100% it will be bit-perfect. There just doesn't seem to be a means to lock it at that level, so you have to pay attention that you don't accidentally change it.
        Any feature is a bug unless it can be turned off. (Heuer's Law, 1990)

Comment

• peterw
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by usch
          I presume when you set the volume to 100% it will be bit-perfect. There just doesn't seem to be a means to lock it at that level, so you have to pay attention that you don't accidentally change it.
          See this discussion of VolumeLock and Squeezebox Radio -- the same is pretty much true of VolumeLock and SB Touch. It cannot prevent you from changing the volume via Touch's screen or IR remote, but it can quickly restore the volume. That's not a good substitute for addressing Jim's ticket though -- I just offer this as a short-term hack until someone makes a proper fix.

Touch offers a really cool new possibility on the fixed output front. With 100% fixed (when available) and a $10 USB-to-serial cable (and a not-yet-written applet), Touch should be able to directly control volume and more on amps & receivers that have RS232 inputs -- and to effectively web-enable amps & receivers with RS232 ports.

Jim, thanks for posting about this. Votes should help, as Logitech recently downgraded the importance of this request (see its change log), pushing it farther into the future. Since the software involved is all BSD-licensed, anybody could create a patch (and even publish it directly to other customers thanks to Erland's Patch Installer applet), so I hope this problem will have a good resolution pretty soon.
          owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
          (which used to reside at www. tux.org/~peterw/)
          Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
          Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
          FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
          SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Comment

• ziggyb63
            • May 2007

Voted. Can someone confirm the Touch has a preamp volume control and that it works OK? For the SB3 the "optimal" setting for using digitals out was to set the output level to 100% and the preamp volume attenuation to max 63 for the analog outs...

Comment

• JJZolx
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ziggyb63
              Voted. Can someone confirm the Touch has a preamp volume control and that it works OK? For the SB3 the "optimal" setting for using digitals out was to set the output level to 100% and the preamp volume attenuation to max 63 for the analog outs...
              I don't think it does have a preamp volume control.

Comment

• jstraw
                • Apr 2008

Call me nuts but I think line outs should always be at a fixed line level. I can understand an OPTION to make them adjustable for powered speakers but not as a default.

Comment

• Gazjam
                  • Jul 2008

so is there a question then about whether the output from SPDIF co-ax is bit perfect then?

Sorry to be "projecting my doubts", but it WAS a significant thing with the SB3, in that switching the digital volume and analogue outputs "off" was basically the only way to achieve the best "bit-perfect" output through the co-ax SPDIF.

i ask just becasue I'm using the Touch purely as a digital transport into a Dac.

ta.

Comment

• AnotherTribe
                    • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Gazjam
                    i ask just becasue I'm using the Touch purely as a digital transport into a Dac.
                    Same here,(or at least will be once my Touch is delivered)so very interested in an official response to the question regarding a bit perfect output.
                    What the #$%! am I listening to now?

Comment

• JohnSwenson
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Gazjam
                      so is there a question then about whether the output from SPDIF co-ax is bit perfect then?

Sorry to be "projecting my doubts", but it WAS a significant thing with the SB3, in that switching the digital volume and analogue outputs "off" was basically the only way to achieve the best "bit-perfect" output through the co-ax SPDIF.

ta.

The digital out IS bit perfect as long as the volume is set to 100, its been tested by several people and does correctly pass a DTS file. Just don't change the volume and you'll be fine.

John S.

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JohnSwenson
                        The digital out IS bit perfect as long as the volume is set to 100, its been tested by several people and does correctly pass a DTS file. Just don't change the volume and you'll be fine.

John S.
                        +1 - categorically bit-perfect when vol=100 (DTS and HDCD prove this).
                        The Touch doesn't need the -63dB setting for the analogue outs that was useful on the SB3).

There is no additional "analogue" level control on the Touch.

The Touch is a new circuit not a tweak to the SB2/3 circuit.
                        On ALL SB's the digital level control is always "in-circuit".

The analogue outputs on the SB3 did NOT need to be off for bit-perfect output - the digital level needs to be at 100 and no replaygain...

As I don't need client-side HDCD decoding or dts playback, I prefer to use replaygain and proper gain staging through my system. I'm never going to agonise about the perfection of the 16th or 20-24th bits :-)

I do agree that an option to lock the Volume at 100 should be provided (although replaygain will still override that!). I've voted.
                        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                        Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• ziggyb63
                          • May 2007

Originally posted by Phil Leigh
                          +1 - categorically bit-perfect when vol=100 (DTS and HDCD prove this).
                          The Touch doesn't need the -63dB setting for the analogue outs that was useful on the SB3).

There is no additional "analogue" level control on the Touch.
                          Many thanks for the info...

Comment

Working...