Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

[Announce] Photo Gallery Plugin v1.0

I'm happy to announce availability of my Photo Gallery plugin v1.0. I've been tinkering on this rather simple plugin for more than 15 months - ever since I received the first SB Touch prototype :-).

If you're like me, then you already have thousands of digital photos on the very same computer you're running Squeezebox Server on. Every now and then you'd like to show some photo to your vistors, or your significant other, but don't want to start your computer. Picture Gallery will allow you to browse all your photos using Squeezebox Touch, Radio or the Controller.

It's getting even better: you can easily transform these players into digital photo frames. Just define your favorites lists using the player menu or the web UI, and use them as screensavers on your devices!

One caveat: Picture Gallery requires Squeezebox Server 7.5+, and a powerful machine. Image handling isn't for the weak...

If you're very brave, you'll run it on a 7.6 nightly build - it will be many times faster than on 7.5, and add a pre-caching option, making the browse experience even better.

The Photo Gallery plugin is now available for installation from the plugin installer. Some more information can be found on http://www.herger.net/Gallery/.

Have fun!
    Michael

http://www.herger.net/slim-plugins - MusicArtistInfo, MusicInfoSCR

Is this different to the built-in 7.5 Image Viewer'? I always thought this would be 'out of the box'. Looks great!
    Boom - Controller - Touch - Radio

I tried to install it and have some problems.

1. The web interface just provides the default album art image and no previews, I'm pretty sure I had previews yesterday when I tried it on my development machine. When I used it on my development machine I just pointed it to my music folder with small album covers, now when I installed it on the real server I pointed it to my main photo library with more and larger images.

2. When I click on an image in the web interface it just produces a screen of text, it looks like the content-type is set to "text/html". The file extension was .JPG (with capital letters), could that be the cause ?

3. The web interface have problems in the "Default" skin where I don't get any vertical scrollbar so when there are more folders than what the screen can show I can't scroll to the bottom half. It works in the "Classic" skin but not in the "Default" skin. I think I've seen this problem in some of my own plugins earler but I don't remember exactly what solved it.

4. I had to restart the Radio for the "Extras" menu to appear, I'm not sure if this is related to the plugin or if it's some bug in the standard software.

5. On the Radio it works great for my old Olympus pictures (with size around 500kb) but for my larger pictures taken more recently (with size around 2Mb) it only shows the default album art. It can read and show the exif information, so the problem is not that it doesn't have access to the file.

I looked in the server.log but didn't see any errors. I can try to enable debug logging on the plugin if you think it will show something useful.

Even though I had some initial problems it feels like this is going to be great, especially on the Touch with its color screen in the middle of the living room.

Some enhancement ideas:
    - It would be great to be able to import a list of images to include in a specific favorite list. I've already tagged my images so I know what images I like to have in a favorites list but I'd like to import that list instead of going through the library and finding the correct images through the SBS web interface. As an alternative, have a context menus on a folder that makes it possible to set all images in that folder as favorites.

- It would be great to have an option to play a slide show of all images found in the folder I've specified.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

formerly known as Fletch
    It would be very cool if, on SBC, it could rotate the image based on the orientation of the controller, like iPhone, droid, etc.

> Is this different to the built-in 7.5 Image Viewer'? I always thought
    > this would be 'out of the box'. Looks great!

The built-in ImageViewer can display images from different sources. First of all from SD card or USB media plugged in to the the device. But if you're running SBS on another computer and want to display images on that remote box, then you'll need the plugin. It uses ImageViewer applet to display the images ;-).

Some background: ImageViewer is providing a service to display lists of files. By default there's an extension to get that list from local media, or as a static list of image urls. And then there are server based extensions like Flickr and Facebook app which use it as well as does my plugin.

--

Michael

> 1. The web interface just provides the default album art image and no
    > previews, I'm pretty sure I had previews yesterday when I tried it on
    > my development machine.

Ugh... that happens if you publish some code you've developed for your own needs only... The Gallery currently doesn't support any other skin than Default :-(. I'll have to add something quickly...

> 2. When I click on an image in the web interface it just produces a
    > screen of text, it looks like the content-type is set to "text/html".

In Default or something else? I see it's going to browsedb.html in Classic...

> 3. The web interface have problems in the "Default" skin where I don't
    > get any vertical scrollbar so when there are more folders than what the
    > screen can show I can't scroll to the bottom half. It works in the
    > "Classic" skin but not in the "Default" skin.

?!? It doesn't work in Classic at all for me. What browser are you using? Any JS error?

> 4. I had to restart the Radio for the "Extras" menu to appear, I'm not
    > sure if this is related to the plugin or if it's some bug in the
    > standard software.

I think that's a bug Mark just filed a day ago, after installing this plugin. IMHO it's a SP issue.

> 5. On the Radio it works great for my old Olympus pictures (with size
    > around 500kb) but for my larger pictures taken more recently (with size
    > around 2Mb) it only shows the default album art. It can read and show
    > the exif information, so the problem is not that it doesn't have access
    > to the file.

What SBS version? I'm using 14MP images myself, and it works just fine (on a poor, old Via C3/1GHz...)

> I looked in the server.log but didn't see any errors. I can try to
    > enable debug logging on the plugin if you think it will show something
    > useful.

This or artwork debugging.

> - It would be great to be able to import a list of images to include in
    > a specific favorite list. I've already tagged my images so I know what

I'd rather not want to go into the tagging business... even reading them. We'll eventually want to have image support in SBS which would do this. I for now just don't want to have to scan files, maintain a db etc. But the file import idea is worth considering.

> images I like to have in a favorites list but I'd like to import that
    > list instead of going through the library and finding the correct
    > images through the SBS web interface. As an alternative, have a context
    > menus on a folder that makes it possible to set all images in that
    > folder as favorites.

Yeah, that's something I've considered already.

> - It would be great to have an option to play a slide show of all
    > images found in the folder I've specified.

Just show the first image in the folder, and the others will follow (if you've enabled the "start slideshow" pref).

--

Michael

> It would be very cool if, on SBC, it could rotate the image based on the
    > orientation of the controller, like iPhone, droid, etc.

There's very basic support for this: if you enable auto-rotate on SBC (ImageViewer settings) it should do this. But it's not very intelligent. You can't flip it to change the orientation back.

You might want to file an enhancement request. ImageViewer probably didn't get the attention from design/development as it does from the users. We'll very likely add some more features to it.

--

Michael

formerly known as Fletch
    Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    There's very basic support for this: if you enable auto-rotate on SBC (ImageViewer settings) it should do this. But it's not very intelligent. You can't flip it to change the orientation back.
    I can't get it to rotate with either "always rotate" or "rotate on mobile device".

> I can't get it to rotate with either "always rotate" or "rotate on
    > mobile device".

Does it work with other ImageViewer sources (Flickr, SD card)? If not, then it's a bug. Otherwise an enhancement :-9

--

Michael

> 1. The web interface just provides the default album art image and no
    > previews, I'm pretty sure I had previews yesterday when I tried it on

Erland - I've uploaded 1.0.1 which adds a basic template for non-Default skins. Please let me know if this is still not working. Thanks!

--

Michael