Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Internet Music Library Viewer

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to be able to allow others to browse your music library from an internet browser (on port 80 for example) without the same control as a local user connecting to localhost:9000.

Obviously I could open up port 9000 and allow users to connect via myserver.org:9000 but then a malicious user could gain control of the player, player settings, server settings, ect. when all I really want to expose is the left hand frame and allow them to search and view artists/albums.

I thought it would be easy enough to just find and copy the relevant HTML/JS and such to another location, hack on it (removing the ability to play tracks and create playlists) and enable that location in my apache conf. Once I got under the hood I realized that wasn't the case. I'm new to template-toolkit but not perl/mysql so I can see the basics of what is going on I just don't understand the voodoo that makes it work yet. Somehow the built in HTTP server is processing the templates on the fly with Template::Toolkit for example...or at least that's my guess. I think this could be possible using apache and a mod_perl handler where the slim server seems to be all in perl (probably making the developer's life much easier).

I really like the look and feel of the Default skin and I really do not like reinventing wheels. My second thought was to just try and use 'View Source' from the browser on home.html and steal the formatting since that's really what I'm after and then add in a cgi call to a perl script I'd create to send SELECT queries to the mysql socket via DBI to retrieve the info.

That seems wrong, but less work than the first option. So my third option was to post here and pray that someone else has already invented this wheel or at least muster enough interest that someone more knowledgeable than myself would come along and say "that's a great idea, you should do it _this_ way and here is where to start...". =]

If you want to make it available on Internet I'd recommend generating a static HTML version. Squeezebox Server isn't really tested enough from a security point of view if you like to expose it on Internet without any decent protection.

I think Album Catalog Creator will generate a HTML album gallery, maybe that works good enough ?
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=74452

There might be some tool that crawls through the SBS web inteterface and generate static HTML.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=download+internet+site

It's probably not that simple to try to use the standard HTML/Javascript files for the Default skin if you like to create a page that isn't dependent on SBS. I think the templates and javascripts are too tightly integrated with the SBS backend to be used standalone, you can probably customize them a bit to make it work but it will be a bit of work.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.

What about using something like Subsonic (which is designed to allow remote access to music) and will run along side your Squeezebox server?

It's just been bundled with the Vortexbox build and is a great addition IMHO. EUR20 to register for an ad free version, but you can set up a user with view access only and give out that login.

There are easy to follow instructions to do the relevant port forwarding and if your router supports UPnP, it will do this automatically (although that didn't work for me on a Netgear router, but the manual instructions did).

http://www.subsonic.org/
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

pski
    Remote users without port 3483 do what?

Seems they would be getting all the display and none of the control.

P

Seems also the only reason for this would be browse to buy..

Quote Originally Posted by pski View Post
    Remote users without port 3483 do what?

Seems they would be getting all the display and none of the control.
    I'm pretty sure you will get all the control you need to trash the computer through port 9000 which SBS web interface use.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    (Developer of many plugins/applets (both free and commercial).
    If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third party plugin/applet development, consider purchasing some plugins)

Interested in the future of music streaming ? ickStream - A world of music at your fingertips.